Benefits of CTC Membership??

Moss

Benefits of CTC Membership??

Post by Moss »

OK, I have a Question?

What are the benefits of becoming a member of the CTC organisation? What is the cost? Would it be a good Idea to sign up to a Local CTC Group? Can someone point out the Pro's and Con's of joining? What do you get out of it? Over to you; replies appreciated.
Big T

Re: Benefits of CTC Membership??

Post by Big T »

Not sure there are any Cons.

Pro's
Six issues of Cycle,CTC magazine.
£10 million third party insurance.
Free legal assistance if you want to pursue a claim against a driver
Discounts on bikes and kit available online and on the high street
Access to routes, rides, technical and touring advice.
Being part of an organisation campaigning for all cyclists.

Cost is £41.

I get at least that amount back each year by getting 10% discount at Evans Cycles, Cotswold Outdoor, etc.
My JOGLE blog:
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
twitter: @bikingtrev
Swallow

Post by Swallow »

For me the main benefits are the third party insurance and the legal aid they provide. Fortunately I've not needed to use either but that's the way of insurance. The CTC did fight a claim for my brother after a nasty accident, he was very pleased with the service provided.
'Kernow bys Vyken'
meic

Post by meic »

You become one of the many contributors to the National Cycling Charity, so you are helping to fund the promotion of cycling. Giving you a nice warm glow all over.

As a coincidental side-effect you also get third party insurance and a lovely glossy mag every two months, which keeps you well informed about all those other sorts of cycling that you dont do but have always wondered about, and leads you astray into buying lots of gorgeous cycling equipment which makes you feel good but doesnt improve your cycling much.

You can join your local CTC section if you want to go out on group rides, if you are lucky you may see somebody under 40, if you are very lucky you may see somebody under 30. :mrgreen:
Other activities may be offered like cake competitions and often local shops give you a 10% discount to lure you into buying even more of those gorgeous cycling parts that you can show to your new appreciative friends.

The only con of joining that I can think of is that you have to pay a fair wad of money and there is s light chance you may catch a contagious disease that makes you grow a beard and wear sandals.

Oh and you may still get a mudguard sticker when you join, you can buy mudguards to go with your sticker, beard and sandals from the glossy CTC mag or local shops with a 10% discount.
Dont bother with the CTC shop as the discount seldom works out in real life.
Yma o Hyd
steady eddy

Post by steady eddy »

Insurance aside-its worth it for that alone - just belonging should be sufficient - all that history - strength in numbers - someone to fight for you - this forum - comraderie - the magazine - the local groups - naff looking club clothing. How much more do you need for your 40 quid.

You can get as little or as much out of the CTC as you want.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

I'm probably about to use the insurance (Oops...)

The magazine is decent, the charity aspect is important.
I was a member of the forum for a long while before I joined.

As a commuter (rather than leisure cyclist) I know nothing of my local group, but local forum members are also helpful ;)
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
sore thumb

Post by sore thumb »

Big T wrote:Not sure there are any Cons.

Pro's
Six issues of Cycle,CTC magazine.
£10 million third party insurance.
Free legal assistance if you want to pursue a claim against a driver
Discounts on bikes and kit available online and on the high street
Access to routes, rides, technical and touring advice.
Being part of an organisation campaigning for all cyclists.

Cost is £41.

I get at least that amount back each year by getting 10% discount at Evans Cycles, Cotswold Outdoor, etc.

Six issues of the magazine. You can read then for nothing in the publication section of the website.

Only benefit is the insurance.
The Mechanic

Post by The Mechanic »

I must admit that, if it didn't come free with the membership, I wouldn't by the mag. It is a very poor publication in my view.
Cancer changes your outlook on life. Change yours before it changes you.
Si

Post by Si »

thread moved to the section about the CTC and membership, where this subject has already been discussed several times.
Si

Post by Si »

There are a number of items that you get when you become a member - and as you can see from the above, different people put a different value on each.

Hardly surprising given that cyclists are such a diverse lot, and also because the CTC has changed a bit over that last 100 years or so, and cycling itself has changed somewhat.

If you go to the main website: http://www.ctc.org.uk/ , you can see all of the things that the CTC does (well from the top down anyway - the individual member groups will do another load of things not mentioned on the head office website).
Moss

Post by Moss »

Thanks everyone for the replies. I'm considering the £41, membership! Shame the membership Insurance doesn't cover your bike for theft and accidental damage. Put that on the home insurance and that carries Indemnity cover also. But I'm seriously thinking about joining the CTC for the organised voice of cycling.

Actually the Membership is probably only £25, for me? I'm one of those OLD (young at heart) cyclists.
Last edited by Moss on 8 Feb 2013, 4:26pm, edited 1 time in total.
byegad

Post by byegad »

You also get to subsidise free family membership for the Camerons. THE reason I won't be renewing!

<edit by moderator: no you don't - the Camerons have not been given a free membership as explained in the thread on this subject >
"I thought of that while riding my bike." -Albert Einstein, on the Theory of Relativity

2007 ICE QNT
2008 Hase Kettwiesel AL27
2011 Catrike Trail
1951 engine
pioneer

Post by pioneer »

For me, first and foremost, it was the ability to ride with the local group every week. Which was and still is, excellent. You can't just keep turning up, ride every week and not join. (Well, some tight gits would if they could get away with). Apart from that, the third party insurance even on it's own is a definite winner.
Graham

Post by Graham »

Very interesting! As the insurance provided by membership is to protect members against third-party claims I have always regarded it a so unlikely to be required that it might be almost valueless [ for a solo rider ].
. . . . But of much greater value when riding in a group i.e. when your clubmates claim against you after you make a mistake on a group ride causing mayhem, injury and broken bicycles.
Moss

Post by Moss »

Would the CTC insurance - not fight your case if someone knocked you off your bike? or cover you if you ran in-to someone ie.. pedestrian or motor vehicle?