Encouraging member engagement at the AGM

gaz

Encouraging member engagement at the AGM

Post by gaz »

In 2011 we had the Goretex prize draw. :D

In 2012 we had the Garmin prize draw. :)

In 2013 we have ... an on-line voting option. :|

I wonder whether this will increase voter turn-out. :wink:
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
Si

Re: Encouraging member engagement at the AGM

Post by Si »

You'd hope so, but I'm not holding my breath.
Not that it seems that there are as many controversial items this year (cue SimonL6 to make a point about changing the auditors).
MLJ

Post by MLJ »

In my experience of various club AGM's, the offer of a free lunch seems to encourage participation!
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Some building societies try to encourage voting by making a contribution to charity for each vote cast. It's a strange way to reward members' loyalty. The board pays members' £££ to charity as recognition of their increasing the board's democratic credentials.

(Not something you can do when you are already a charity, of course.)
ianmac55

Post by ianmac55 »

Well, there was a free lunch at the 2013 AGM, if you had registered for the morning workshops. (And jolly good it was too.)

But I've come into the forum to see if there is any account of the AGM weekend here or on the main CTC website(s). I haven't had any luck finding anything.

My travelling expenses to Guisborough are being met by my local (parent) group - it was the first AGM I've attended - and I've promised to give everyone a short informal report. I did wait until the new issue of "Cycle" but nothing in there except the short piece in the "From the Chair ..." column on page 8.

I will e-mail Sue Cherry at Head Office with a copy of this post - because I'm puzzled a member can't find an account very easily.

Can anyone point me in the right direction, please?
gaz

Post by gaz »

Welcome to the forum.

Not an account as such, but evidence that the event took place and results of the votes: http://www.ctc.org.uk/about-ctc/ctc-nat ... rds-dinner
ianmac55

Post by ianmac55 »

Thanks, Gaz!

Link followed and .pdf downloaded.

I'm pretty certain I followed the "menu" down the right hand side of that page earlier today and didn't find anything. I think, only think mind you, that the http://www.ctc.org.uk site and the http://www.beta.ctc.org.uk sites are slightly different. I get the impression that the "old" site is more up-to-date than the beta one!

Anyway, thanks again.

I ought to observe that it took Electoral Reform Services a long time to add the votes at the meeting to the already counted online votes. Instead of what I expected - an announcement after each vote of the numbers - we waited until the end of the meeting to be told the votes for them all.

Secondly, the meeting finished with cake. Traditional for cyclists you might think. But cake - on its own. Not tea and cake. No tea. Odd for an expensive establishment.
gaz

Post by gaz »

The "beta" pre-fix (probbaly not the right techy word) was used whilst the current CTC website was in development, including public testing and de-bugging. Whilst that was going on the "old" website ran alongside and looked very different.

AFAIK last November (or thereabouts) the "beta" pre-fix was dropped and the content was switched over to become the only CTC website, effectively displacing all the material on the "old" site.

I certainly can't connect to the "beta" link above and, whilst my own geeky tech levels are low, I suspect your browser is connecting you to "saved" pages in its own memory if you are viewing any pages pre-fixed by "beta". :?

As for cake without tea :shock: ; doesn't CTC stand for Coffee Tea & Cake :wink: .

Edit 08/06/13: I can still access the beta after all http://beta.ctc.org.uk/