Forum advert banner

What sort of advertising would you find acceptable on the forum?

CTC related services only (eg CDF)
13%
General cycling related adverts, as might be found in Cycle magazine.
28%
None, leave the forum as is.
59%

Total votes: 132

Si

Re: Forum advert banner

Post by Si »

kwackers wrote:I fail to see why the question is being asked - after all who would actively vote for adverts?

As mentioned in first post.

To recap....off the top of my head I'd suggest....
One might suggest that the CTC has a number of services to offer cyclists, such as the CDF, FillThatHole and StopSMIDSY. At present, if you visit the forum but not the CTC website (as many do) you won't know about these - so a banner that redirects you to them might be useful to some.
One might also suggest that the income from adverts could help to minimise subs rises in the future. Some might prefer to have a banner across the top of the forum if it means they might pay less money to be a CTC member than they would without the potential advertising income.
Or if it might mean that having an advert at the top of your screen might allow the CTC to partake in another area of campaigning.

I'd also suggest that most people have worked this out for themselves, hence no one thought to go to the trouble of fleshing it out....I may be wrong here?
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

Si wrote:I'd also suggest that most people have worked this out for themselves, hence no one thought to go to the trouble of fleshing it out....I may be wrong here?

I think you are - although I'm simply reading between the lines of what people write.
Most seem to be simply assuming the worst and presuming no benefit.

Perhaps there should have been a rider - as in if we don't do the banner thing, how best should we achieve the goals.
gaz

Post by gaz »

Si wrote:This thread now appears on every section of the forum...I think that that is good enough to get it to the notice of the regular users.

If the aim is only to consult regular users then that's good enough.

Will CTC will be telling potential advertisers about the 22,000+ forum members when seeking to sell the advertising space or just the regular users.

How many regular users are there?

Si wrote:Emailing every one who has ever been on the forum will probably bring as many complaints as it does responses, or at least it'll encourage a number of people to ask for their accounts to be closed for fear of being 'spammed' again - that is work that we don't want to do.

Perhaps user accounts should be closed after 13 months inactivity (i.e. no log on), it would at least give a definition of sorts to regular user and a more meaningful figure for the number of forum members when promoting the forum to potential advertisers, but now I'm drifting off topic.

How many people need to threaten to ask for their accounts to be closed if the advertising banner appears before the cost of the resultant workload outweighs the advertising income? :wink:

From my own viewpoint I've no issue with the propsed advertising banner containing either details of CTC services or general cycle related advertising; however there's every possibility of my becoming unreasonably grumpy about the consultation process.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

To me the content matters less than their positioning.

The one thing that I find really irritating is forums that have fake posts...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
pedalsheep

Post by pedalsheep »

I can see the logic of having CTC related ads but I just find a site with no adverts to be such a refreshing change from all the usual advert strewn sites.

As with bike maintenance, if it aint bust don't fix it! :D
'Why cycling for joy is not the most popular pastime on earth is still a mystery to me.'
Frank J Urry, Salute to Cycling, 1956.
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

pedalsheep wrote:I can see the logic of having CTC related ads but I just find a site with no adverts to be such a refreshing change from all the usual advert strewn sites.

As with bike maintenance, if it aint bust don't fix it! :D

I would say that just about sums up the sensible, rational approach to the matter.

EXCEPT - which so-called cycling related services are also, or perhaps principally, commercial organisations with links to the CTC?

For example - would the CTC shop be regarded by N.O./Council as a "Cycling Related Service"? - that is one shop - Wiggle, which is not universally popular with forum users. Also, the fact of a Commercial Enterprise being so linked with CTC is not a universally popular idea. What details of ours would they have access to? - and to whom would they pass them on? Will there be a ".... click on here for more information button.....? - and what will happen then?

The whole thing is fraught with concerns and worries. Just when you thought you were safe..........

I've seen the poll questionnaire, and I can understand the rationale of CTC advertising it's services and campaigns, but what exactly would constitute a service.

I'll vote in the poll when I have all the information that I require. My belief is still that those who've decided what they want to do will do it anyway, and we'll have to decide our own individual ways forward
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

JohnW wrote: My belief is still that those who've decided what they want to do will do it anyway, and we'll have to decide our own individual ways forward
I agree on that.

I've voted to "Leave the forum as it is" because I also agree with the "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" argument.
Mick F. Cornwall
Edwards

Post by Edwards »

Si you were correct about the cookies. I know that CTC and the forum use them, what I object to is the hidden third party ones, used for Targeted Advertising. Some of this is not even related in any way to the subject that I looked at.

I am not bothered about an advertising banner but do not want anything else added.
Keith Edwards
I do not care about spelling and grammar
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

That is exactly the problem, Keith.
An advertising banner for the CTC is one thing, but it's going to eventually "grow like Topsy" no matter what assurances or consultations are put forward. Mark my words, it's the thin end of the wedge.

This forum is wonderful. I've looked at others, and this is by far the best ........... and I'm proud to be part of it.

Please, CTC, don't spoil it.
Mick F. Cornwall
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

Mick F wrote:.........I've voted to "Leave the forum as it is" because I also agree with the "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" argument.

So have I now Mick - and I've "unsubscribed the topic" so that I'm not tempted to add any more of my sometimes acrid rhetoric.
Si

Post by Si »

In answer to all the questions asking for more specifics, it is a strange but true fact about the CTC: those who are paid to work for the CTC get their weekends off, whereas those who are doing it all for nowt seem to continue to work into the weekends and BHs :lol: . I'm afraid that I have given out all the info that I have and we must await the official word for more detail - hopefully someone will be in the office Tuesday.

As to the point about the 22,00 signed up to the forum. Yes, this is a little misleading as most are not regular users. However, on the flip side, the number of un-signed-up visitors often outnumbers the number of those logged in at any time. So to say that the forum is only viewed by the regulars is a little misleading too. I wonder if it would be possible to make that adverts appear only to visitors? :wink:
Edwards

Post by Edwards »

Si it is normal for the shht to filter down to the lowest paid and you can not be paid any less, so you got the job.

Commiserations from me, go out on your bike and enjoy summer while it is here. The rain will start soon enough.
Keith Edwards
I do not care about spelling and grammar
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

Si - my "unsubscribe" button didn't work - must've been me - it usually does work. But I'm still here. It'll be interesting to see how people respond to that suggestion.
Hemipode

Post by Hemipode »

Si wrote: I wonder if it would be possible to make that adverts appear only to visitors? :wink:

Could be a useful recruitment tool .... "Join now & all the advertising **** disappears" :lol:
Benethi

Post by Benethi »

As long as it's just a banner at the top so's you can't see it anyway once you've scrolled down to read a topic, I have no problem with it personally...as long as three rules are very strictly adhered to:

1. No sound. Nothing drives me away from a webpage quicker than it coming between me and my music.
2. No flash stuff. Static ads are alright, but moving images can be rather irritating - and that's even before they've caused my computer to crash...
3. Stick to the cycling related stuff. Obviously.
"Frankly, I’m suspicious of anyone who has a strong opinion on a complicated issue" - Scott Adams
Photos:
Scott's Travels 2010
Sparky's Travels 2012
Sparky's Travels 2013
:)