Forum advert banner

What sort of advertising would you find acceptable on the forum?

CTC related services only (eg CDF)
13%
General cycling related adverts, as might be found in Cycle magazine.
28%
None, leave the forum as is.
59%

Total votes: 132

JohnW

Re: Forum advert banner

Post by JohnW »

gaz wrote:
Mick F wrote:Image

thirdcrank wrote:... it's now the only place in the known universe that still refers to the CTC as the national cyclists' organisation, rather than charity. That alone should be enough to get them sacked. :wink:

............They can't sack the volunteers. :wink:

No gaz, but they can ignore them - as they ignore members' expressed wishes. (e.g. the above post)
Cyclome

Post by Cyclome »

What do people think about the unsolicited commercial adverts that suddenly started to appear in Cycleclips emails a few weeks back - no consultation on that one. I believe this breaches the anti-spam law http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2003/2426/regulation/22/made) and my complaints to the Head of Communications & Campaigns have not been answered adequately.
gaz

Post by gaz »

Members can choose whether they receive it, part 3 a, b & c of the above regulation have been complied with.
Whilst the default position may be "yes" anyone can choose to opt out, I know I have. IIRC there is even an "unsubscribe" link in the e-mail itself.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
mjr

Post by mjr »

gaz wrote:Members can choose whether they receive it, part 3 a, b & c of the above regulation have been complied with.
Whilst the default position may be "yes" anyone can choose to opt out, I know I have. IIRC there is even an "unsubscribe" link in the e-mail itself.

I can't see where you opt out of the adverts there. Am I missing it?

Also, it seems at some point, I've been switched from CycleClips to CampaignNews. Has this happened to other Cyclenation group contacts?
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Cyclome

Post by Cyclome »

It detracts from any idea of being treated as a valued member, especially when the only way to avoid these annoying, disruptive ads is to unsubscribe and not receive this member benefit. Why should I have to stop receiving what is promoted as being a member benefit, just to stop these unwanted adverts?

Also, email users are constantly being warned not to click on unexpected links in emails. Maybe I should mark it as spam.
gaz

Post by gaz »

mjr wrote:I can't see where you opt out of the adverts there. Am I missing it?

You can opt in/out of cycleclips. My apologies for my lack of clarity. I don't receive cycleclips but I doubt that there is an option to unsubscribe from the advertising alone.

Cyclome wrote:It detracts from any idea of being treated as a valued member, especially when the only way to avoid these annoying, disruptive ads is to unsubscribe and not receive this member benefit. Why should I have to stop receiving what is promoted as being a member benefit, just to stop these unwanted adverts?

Not unlike Cycle magazine itself, a valuable member benefit that comes with annoying, disruptive ads. National Office will stop sending Cycle on request. National Office will not send an ad free edition.

Of course it would be a much simpler matter to send an ad free cycleclips to those who want it. Please ask National Office if they can provide such a service and should they decline ask them to explain why. If that was the essence of your complaint perhaps you could post both your complaint and the response.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

All I would beg is please don't do anything which might give the marketing agency - which presumably operates at some remoteness from yer actual CyclingUK - the idea of putting ads on here. IME elsewhere, they are so disruptive that they are counter-productive in that unless I'm desperate to read the content, I quickly lose patience and press the exit button. This seems to be particularly the case with the online editions of some local newspapers.
RickH

Post by RickH »

Cyclome wrote:What do people think about the unsolicited commercial adverts that suddenly started to appear in Cycleclips emails a few weeks back - no consultation on that one. I believe this breaches the anti-spam law http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2003/2426/regulation/22/made) and my complaints to the Head of Communications & Campaigns have not been answered adequately.

It isn't really a new thing. As far as I can tell, adverts first appeared on the header of CycleClips back in April 2013 and I spotted an ad at the bottom of one back in March 2011 (says he as a sad keeper of almost all emails received so could do a search - I have copies back to November 2010 :? ). They had disappeared with the rebranding in April (the last CTC branded one on 1st April had an ad) until the ads re-emerged in early September.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

gaz wrote:
mjr wrote:I can't see where you opt out of the adverts there. Am I missing it?

You can opt in/out of cycleclips. My apologies for my lack of clarity. I don't receive cycleclips but I doubt that there is an option to unsubscribe from the advertising alone.

Cyclome wrote:It detracts from any idea of being treated as a valued member, especially when the only way to avoid these annoying, disruptive ads is to unsubscribe and not receive this member benefit. Why should I have to stop receiving what is promoted as being a member benefit, just to stop these unwanted adverts?

Not unlike Cycle magazine itself, a valuable member benefit that comes with annoying, disruptive ads. National Office will stop sending Cycle on request. National Office will not send an ad free edition.....

Cycle magazine has significant production costs (e.g. printing and postage) so the advertising can help offset those costs. An e-mail does not have such costs and so advertising becomes a means to generate profit i.e. the registered person/recipient becomes the product CTC/CUK are selling, the means to generate income.

Ian
gaz

Post by gaz »

Third party advertising, whatever medium it appears in, is a means to generate income. As RickH mentions advertising in Cycleclips is not a new development.

Whilst there are considerably greater costs for the production and distribution of a printed magazine than for an e-mail, e-mail is not cost free, neither is this forum.

The cost has to be met from income. It can either be from advertising or member subscriptions. If the income exceeds the cost the surplus funds (profit) can be used in the promotion of our charitable objects.

To try to bring this back on topic, the thread is over three years old with no sign of advertising appearing on the forum yet and non-members continue to enjoy the service provided without making any contribution to the costs.

Perhaps CTC/Cycling UK heeded the wishes of the extremely small proportion of forum members who replied and have no intention of introducing an advert banner. Perhaps its just a matter of time before National Office spams every page. If they do I'll either accept it or unsubscribe from this forum.
meic

Post by meic »

thirdcrank wrote:All I would beg is please don't do anything which might give the marketing agency - which presumably operates at some remoteness from yer actual CyclingUK - the idea of putting ads on here. IME elsewhere, they are so disruptive that they are counter-productive in that unless I'm desperate to read the content, I quickly lose patience and press the exit button. This seems to be particularly the case with the online editions of some local newspapers.

You should investigate things like Adblocker which stop the adverts getting through to annoy you.
Though occasional sites will not let you in if they detect that you are using it.
Yma o Hyd
AndyK

Post by AndyK »

mjr wrote:Also, it seems at some point, I've been switched from CycleClips to CampaignNews. Has this happened to other Cyclenation group contacts?

Is Campaign News still a thing? I haven't received one for many months. I assumed it had been discontinued.
mjr

Post by mjr »

AndyK wrote:
mjr wrote:Also, it seems at some point, I've been switched from CycleClips to CampaignNews. Has this happened to other Cyclenation group contacts?

Is Campaign News still a thing? I haven't received one for many months. I assumed it had been discontinued.

Someone must have frobbed your bits. If you can login to the main website and find the screen shotted above, then you can get it back.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
AndyK

Post by AndyK »

mjr wrote:
AndyK wrote:

Someone must have frobbed your bits. If you can login to the main website and find the screen shotted above, then you can get it back.

No, that screen just gives me an option to unsubscribe from the "campaigns" mailing list.
Just to make sure we're not talking at cross purposes here: I do get the occasional promotional email from campaigns@cyclinguk.org, exhorting me to sign whatever petition/survey/Twitter campaign they've just come up with. (The last one was on 5th October, about lorries.) What I'm not receiving is anything called "Campaign News", or anything similar containing useful info for me as a local campaigner.

[edited to add missing word]
Last edited by AndyK on 14 Nov 2016, 3:26pm, edited 1 time in total.
mjr

Post by mjr »

I get a monthly email headed "Campaign News". I'm not sure I get the exhortations.