Forum advert banner

What sort of advertising would you find acceptable on the forum?

CTC related services only (eg CDF)
13%
General cycling related adverts, as might be found in Cycle magazine.
28%
None, leave the forum as is.
59%

Total votes: 132

Si

Forum advert banner

Post by Si »

The possibility of adding an advert banner to the forum has been tabled.
Below is a mock-up of what it might look like.
Your views on such a move are invited by the CTC (please keep it clean: "the facts ma'am, just the facts" :lol: )

ctc-forum-with-leaderboard-ad.jpg

Why would we want adverts?
I guess that there are two answers: to tell people about the other services that the CTC offers, such as the CDF for example.
To bring in money to the CTC, thus possibly reducing the need for future subs increases.

Don't ask me what the numbers are though 'cos I don't know.
Mark1978

Re: Forum advert banner

Post by Mark1978 »

As long as it's as depicted I wouldn't have a problem. Money has to come from somewhere...
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I don't like it and I don't want it.
I don't like adverts generally and I reckon that once we have this one on the top, we'll have ones down the side as well. Thin end of the wedge?

We keep this forum clean and it's all the better forum for it. Adverts are clutter and pointless. We come on here for the chat and the information and to swap yarns, not to see adverts.

The very presence of this forum - and it's name - is advert enough. There are already links at the top of the page to CTC, and from CTC back to here.
Mick F. Cornwall
gaz

Post by gaz »

Hmm, seems to be room for one of those on the CTC home page.

CTC Forum.jpg

I wouldn't take issue with one on the forum as well.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
Mr. Viking

Post by Mr. Viking »

I think it is better if a forum is kept free of advertisement
rualexander

Post by rualexander »

Mick F wrote:I don't like it and I don't want it.
I don't like adverts generally and I reckon that once we have this one on the top, we'll have ones down the side as well. Thin end of the wedge?

We keep this forum clean and it's all the better forum for it. Adverts are clutter and pointless. We come on here for the chat and the information and to swap yarns, not to see adverts.

The very presence of this forum - and it's name - is advert enough. There are already links at the top of the page to CTC, and from CTC back to here.

+1
cjchambers

Post by cjchambers »

^^ What MickF said.

I actively avoid messy, cluttered forums.
ferrit worrier

Post by ferrit worrier »

Agree with Mick, CJ and others keep the forum clear of adverts, we get enough rubbish through the letter box with junk mail, adverts on the telly etc. please keep it clear. I'm going before I get on my soap box :evil:
Percussive maintainance, if it don't fit, hit it with the hammer.
Vantage

Post by Vantage »

+1 against adverts.
I enjoy the clean look of this forum and would hate to see it "cheapened" by ads.
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
It's a rich man whos children run to him when his pockets are empty.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Lots of people ask here what to do about potholes and smidsy. Could we consider those two items (and only those two)? Is there a benefit to making more users of the forum aware of 'Stop Smidsy' & 'Fill That Hole'?

Are they really adverts? Or more along the lines of a public service announcement?
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

Mick F wrote:I don't like it and I don't want it.

+1

I am definitely with Mick on this.
meic

Post by meic »

I would rather not have it but I bet I would cease to even see it after a week.

Would it be possible to turn it "off" in your control panel, for those who dont like it?

Is this an idea for promoting CTC-related endeavours or the opening up for commercial advertising?
Yma o Hyd
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Personally don't mind, I find most adverts don't have any impact on me.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Si

Post by Si »

meic wrote:
Is this an idea for promoting CTC-related endeavours or the opening up for commercial advertising?

Can't answer that one at the moment - I shall ask a man who can. However, the adverts will be remotely controlled by CTC N.O., thus the forum staff will have no control in what appears there (i.e. don't blame us :lol: ).
jonathan.pontet

Post by jonathan.pontet »

Thanks to you all for posting your thoughts on this proposal. Just to clarify- yes the intention is to offer this space to external companies for banner advertising.

Many of you receive Cycle magazine and it is the type of adverting that you see there that you can expect to see used in the ads here in the forum i.e. something very much of interest to cyclists.

We don't have an advertiser lined up for now- so we would run ads for CTC's services (Fill That Hole, Stop SMIDSY etc) in the interim.
Jonathan Pontet
Webmaster
CTC, the national cycling charity