Forum advert banner

What sort of advertising would you find acceptable on the forum?

CTC related services only (eg CDF)
13%
General cycling related adverts, as might be found in Cycle magazine.
28%
None, leave the forum as is.
59%

Total votes: 132

gaz

Re: Forum advert banner

Post by gaz »

It's arrived on the CTC home page now, a variety of CTC membership adverts.

The Cyclecips one was commercial. I wonder whether that decision was made because you can opt out of the Cycleclips e-mail and read it on the main CTC website without the commercial advert?
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Excuse me while I climb up off the floor, having been knocked down by a feather.

I've just checked my email and the cookie-driven Evans advert for bike storage hooks has been replaced with an ad (not from Evans :roll: ) for a specially discounted personal loan with an APR of 1734%. :shock:

How do they know I'm boracic and innumerate? :?
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

With my email, I'm currently receiving adverts which are difficult to ignore from Network Rail about their holiday timetable. Difficult to ignore in that when I go to my email website, the ad appears and just sits there on an otherwise blank page: even ignoring it for a long time - eg an hour - makes no difference. It seems that the only way to get rid of it is to refresh the page repeatedly until another, ignorable ad appears in its place. There seems no way to get the message across to Network Rail that they are not part of my holiday plan. :evil:
mjr

Post by mjr »

Or change email provider to one that doesn't suck and put bad adverts on the pages... but you might have to pay a whole £3/year for that level of quality.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
gaz

Post by gaz »

The banner on the CTC main site has now switched from CTC advertising to commercial, EBC.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Sad.
Mick F. Cornwall
Si

Post by Si »

+1.

I'd think that Wiggle wouldn't be too pleased...unless EBC are to be the new CTC shop?
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Either way - from watching the relevant thread - I don't think that a certain CTC members' shop, AKA Spa Cycles, will give a monkey's :lol:

Which is where I stand, I suppose. If there's money to be made for the charity though ad's, why not? Incidentally, having made the same assumption about that possible change when gaz first posted, I had a look at the CTC Shop www for clues. I found none, but fwiw, it's now the only place in the known universe that still refers to the CTC as the national cyclists' organisation, rather than charity. That alone should be enough to get them sacked. :wink:
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Screen shot 2014-01-19 at 15.36.28.png
Mick F. Cornwall
gaz

Post by gaz »

Mick F wrote:Image

thirdcrank wrote:... it's now the only place in the known universe that still refers to the CTC as the national cyclists' organisation, rather than charity. That alone should be enough to get them sacked. :wink:

That terminology, indeed even some of it's predecessors, continue unabashed on some CTC member group sites. They can't sack the volunteers. :wink:
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

......................... and the banner states that the CTC is powered by Wiggle ................... and not by its members .......... or donors.
Mick F. Cornwall
Cyclome

Post by Cyclome »

I am strongly against any advertising. I pay an annual subscription to avoid having to put up with distracting adverts.

Other forums don't have them
http://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php;
http://www.touringcyclistclub.org.uk/index.php/forum-frame-2).
gaz

Post by gaz »

Cyclome wrote:.... I pay an annual subscription to avoid having to put up with distracting adverts. ...

Whilst realising that there's a bit of threadcromancy going on here, :wink: I am left wondering who you pay this annual subscription to :? .

The Cycling UK forum is freely available to all, rather than being a members only resource. The Cycling UK website is littered with advertising.
Phil_Chadwick

Post by Phil_Chadwick »

Adblock.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I wonder who would want to advertise on here? Saga? Age UK Funeral plans? Perhaps there's now a Philosan Full Strength (Fortifies the over 70's :wink: )

Ok ok. I do know it's all pumped out by adverting firms willy nilly.