Why I Am Not Renewing My CTC Membership

Si

Re: Why I Am Not Renewing My CTC Membership

Post by Si »

I'd have thought that having to cycle on busy roads would be a reason for MGs to do well. I know of several people in mine who only joined because they feel much safer riding as part of a group than by themselves.

But yes, when it comes to getting new people on bikes, having off road paths for them to use really is an advantage....but are normal MGs concerned with getting complete beginners on bikes?
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Si wrote: .................... it is not so much the technical loss of control, rather the feeling of being betrayed (for want of a better word) that is the driving force for some.
Yep.
+1
Mick F. Cornwall
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

Are Council reading all this...........................?
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Taking this back to the thread title, this is one issue on which Sustrans has the right approach ie referring to people who pay their subs as supporters. That gets away from any misconceptions about membership and it doesn't leave much room for dissent.
byegad

Post by byegad »

thirdcrank wrote:Taking this back to the thread title, this is one issue on which Sustrans has the right approach ie referring to people who pay their subs as supporters. That gets away from any misconceptions about membership and it doesn't leave much room for dissent.

And that is why I removed my financial and moral support some years back, as well as packing in being a Ranger.
"I thought of that while riding my bike." -Albert Einstein, on the Theory of Relativity

2007 ICE QNT
2008 Hase Kettwiesel AL27
2011 Catrike Trail
1951 engine
Si

Post by Si »

thirdcrank wrote:Taking this back to the thread title, this is one issue on which Sustrans has the right approach ie referring to people who pay their subs as supporters. That gets away from any misconceptions about membership and it doesn't leave much room for dissent.

Forgive me while I giggle at this. At least with the CTC you choose either to become a member or not.....not so with sustrans who IME can decide that you are one of their volunteers without actually telling you let alone asking you first.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Si

You must appreciate that I have no idea what you are on about. Apart from anything else, with or without the added emphasis, I didn't refer to volunteers but rather to supporters.
Squeezebox

Post by Squeezebox »

I WILL continue to be a member of CTC as long as it does the following :

1) It doesnt exclude me if I choose not to wear a helmet, and actively promotes my choice (including photos in mags of helmeted and non-helmeted cyclists). Also the third party insurance covers me to cycle (within the law), and again that includes my choice if I wish to wear a helmet or not.

2) Being a campaign group that promotes non-competative cycling.

3) It generally represents my main interest - Touring with a bike (as mentioned before, the clue is in the name and I hope that remains)! i.e genrally based around a touring bike, travelling from place to place with or without camping gear.

I have a huge interest in other types of cycling and I love reading and discussing different cycling "flavours", no problem with that at all. However, the main reason to be in CTC is that the vast majority of my interest is in touring. BC still has a "competative" feel to it and as mentioned they insist on a helmet.
meic

Post by meic »

I am not renewing my membership because the system will not let me!

I just had a rather futile conversation with the membership phoneline where he repeatedly explained to me how the system worked and why he couldnt erase me or my email addresses or let me rejoin using one.
I did suggest that that was really more their problem than mine but he explained again how the system works.
I said I didnt really want to go along with this, he explained yet again how the system works until I said I understood the first two times and wished him good day.

Now I guess it is time for a fourth membership on a fourth email address all because I refuse to renew when they sneak a day off your membership and charge you next years rates if you "just" renew.
Or I could join BC.

Or I can just wait for the phonecall in a few months offering me a 15 months membership for the price of 12 months to rejoin the "flock".
Yma o Hyd
Squeezebox

Post by Squeezebox »

meic wrote:Or I can just wait for the phonecall in a few months offering me a 15 months membership for the price of 12 months to rejoin the "flock".

Thanks for that tip, my membership is due soon and I might try that :lol:
700c

Post by 700c »

I haven't been a member of CTC for 6 years. I went off the membership due to a*****up in the renewals department which resulted in a farcical situation of having no account, then two accounts, then no account, then 1 account. And no magazines :(

So, how much a yearly membership for a family: £66. Multiply that by 6 years and CTC have lost out on getting on for £400.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=8919 - I never did get the back issues I was promised either. Thanks CTC ;)
Matt

Post by Matt »

Hi,
I’m Matt Mallinder, CTC Membership Manager. I’ve been brought on board (3 months into post) to manage the membership function and where there are issues, to improve the membership service.

I do monitor these boards whenever possible but to assist me in expediting any issues I would also ask forum users to feel free to direct issues to me either at matt.mallinder@ctc.org.uk or on the phone at the national office – 01483 238312. I’ll do everything I can to resolve the issue or be able to give you a damn good reason why not.

Picking up on the subject line of this board I’m happy to put my hands up where there have been issues in the past and am always keen to understand why a member has lapsed or is planning not to renew. Please do let me know. Obviously I’ll try to get you to change your mind (that’s my job :D ), but if not it would help to get to the nub of any issues.

We’re always looking to improve CTC’s service and benefits and to this end I’ve set up a survey at: http://www.ctc.org.uk/survey Please do let me know your views on CTC.
Thanks in advance,
Matt
byegad

Post by byegad »

Matt, it's typical of the CTC's creaky software that your link is coming up as a CTC page not found message. Makes me glad I'm no longer a member! :)
"I thought of that while riding my bike." -Albert Einstein, on the Theory of Relativity

2007 ICE QNT
2008 Hase Kettwiesel AL27
2011 Catrike Trail
1951 engine
Si

Post by Si »

byegad wrote:Matt, it's typical of the CTC's creaky software that your link is coming up as a CTC page not found message. Makes me glad I'm no longer a member! :)

Not creaky software this time...it had a full stop accidentaly added to the end...have now rectified and the link should take you to a survey.
robgul

Post by robgul »

Matt wrote:Hi,
I’m Matt Mallinder, CTC Membership Manager. I’ve been brought on board (3 months into post) to manage the membership function and where there are issues, to improve the membership service.

I do monitor these boards whenever possible but to assist me in expediting any issues I would also ask forum users to feel free to direct issues to me either at matt.mallinder@ctc.org.uk or on the phone at the national office – 01483 238312. I’ll do everything I can to resolve the issue or be able to give you a damn good reason why not.

Picking up on the subject line of this board I’m happy to put my hands up where there have been issues in the past and am always keen to understand why a member has lapsed or is planning not to renew. Please do let me know. Obviously I’ll try to get you to change your mind (that’s my job :D ), but if not it would help to get to the nub of any issues.

We’re always looking to improve CTC’s service and benefits and to this end I’ve set up a survey at: http://www.ctc.org.uk/survey Please do let me know your views on CTC.
Thanks in advance,
Matt

Does this mean that the membership process has been brought in-house, away from the outsourced service that has, rightly, received lots of stick here in the forum in the past?

Rob
E2E http://www.cycle-endtoend.org.uk
HoECC http://www.heartofenglandcyclingclub.org.uk
Cytech accredited mechanic . . . and woodworker