Why I WILL BE renewing my CTC membership

rbreid

Why I WILL BE renewing my CTC membership

Post by rbreid »

A counter to the other thread. Do I think that the CTC is perfect? No not at all but throwing my rattle out of the pram won't change anything. I suppose my message is why abandon something that could be (and is in the opinion of many) of enormous benefit to all cyclists. If you feel you aren't represented stay and speak. Leaving has one guarantee:- you won't be represented.
I believe we have a voice and only by participating can change be brought about and improvements sought for all cyclists.
If you wish to give me a resentment, prepare yourself for a disappointment.
Combative, pedantic, bigoted or confrontational posts will be ignored as detrimental to civilised debate.
mjr

Re: Why I WILL BE renewing my CTC membership

Post by mjr »

Go on then, sell CTC participation to us. Beyond the rides (which locally are not at usable times for me), what opportunities for participation are there? Which have you tried? What effects have they had?

And if you want to get down and dirty, why should a member of a group in one of the other networks (British Cycling, Cycling Time Trials, Cycle Nation, ...) join CTC as well or instead?
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
rbreid

Post by rbreid »

I'm not selling anything nor getting down and dirty with anyone. Thanks for your constructive comments. :wink:
If you wish to give me a resentment, prepare yourself for a disappointment.
Combative, pedantic, bigoted or confrontational posts will be ignored as detrimental to civilised debate.
jezer

Post by jezer »

I've been a CTC member since 1994 and will remain so. I will look into lifetime membership when my next renewal comes up. It represents normal everyday cyclists, not just those into racing or time trials, and campaigns for our rights to use the roads as proper traffic. Insurance and legal back up is an important part of the service provided. What's not to like :?
Power to the pedals
Squeezebox

Post by Squeezebox »

If it stays fairly much as it is then I will continue to be a member and glad to be and proud to be, I like it just the way it is. Same name, same priority of campaigns, including the personal choice for helmet wearing. Good touring advice and general support for other types of cycling that are not focused on the competative.

So its all good for me as it is just at the moment and I hope it stays this way. If it does then I will gladly stay a member.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

jezer wrote:. I will look into lifetime membership when my next renewal comes up.
Just looked into this because it never occurred to me before.

I'm an "unwaged" member and first joined in 2006 - really only for the insurance.

Annual subscription for me is £25.
I'm 61 years old.
If I stayed renewing like I do now and still have use for membership - I may have another 20 years.
20 x £25 = £500

Life membership is based on the present FULL subscription rate.
It's worked out thus for me:
25 x Full Subscription = £1,025.00
Minus £10.25 x Age = £625.25
Minus £5.13 x Years of membership renewals = £61.56

= £338.19

ie a saving of £161.81 based on another 20 years of membership.
ie a saving of only £8 per year to me, or only 67p per month.
ie not much of a bargain at all.

However, if stay with normal unwaged renewals, my £338.19 would run out when I'm nearly 75.
Do I still want to be a member at 75 years old?
I'm not sure I want to be a member at all! :wink:
Mick F. Cornwall
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

PS.

If I was 80 years old and had been a full member since I was 18, my life membership would cost a MINUS figure!

ie they'd owe me money.

£1,025
minus 80 x £10.25
minus 62 x £5.13

:lol: :lol:
Mick F. Cornwall
mjr

Post by mjr »

rbreid wrote:I'm not selling anything nor getting down and dirty with anyone. Thanks for your constructive comments. :wink:

Hey, you're the one who said "only by participating can change be brought about and improvements sought for all cyclists" - I feel that if you want change and improvements, it seems far more sensible for most people to participate in one of the stronger, more responsive groups such as a local cycle campaign if you have one (well done in particular to what I've seen from Camcycle, ElyCycle, Cyclox and Bristol Cycling Campaign!), or British Cycling if you don't.

There are some good things coming out of CTC but I don't get the feeling they're particularly member-driven. Sometimes quite the opposite.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
robgul

Post by robgul »

Mick F wrote:
jezer wrote:. I will look into lifetime membership when my next renewal comes up.
Just looked into this because it never occurred to me before.

I'm an "unwaged" member and first joined in 2006 - really only for the insurance.

Annual subscription for me is £25.
I'm 61 years old.
If I stayed renewing like I do now and still have use for membership - I may have another 20 years.
20 x £25 = £500

Life membership is based on the present FULL subscription rate.
It's worked out thus for me:
25 x Full Subscription = £1,025.00
Minus £10.25 x Age = £625.25
Minus £5.13 x Years of membership renewals = £61.56

= £338.19

ie a saving of £161.81 based on another 20 years of membership.
ie a saving of only £8 per year to me, or only 67p per month.
ie not much of a bargain at all.

However, if stay with normal unwaged renewals, my £338.19 would run out when I'm nearly 75.
Do I still want to be a member at 75 years old?
I'm not sure I want to be a member at all! :wink:

... the unwaged/retired rate will undoubtedly increase in the 20 years which affects your sums - whereas the life payment is a one off now.

In addition to your expectations of years you have left ... there is also the risk of CTC changing/not existing :twisted: ... I doubt there would be any refunds on life memberships.

I'm a shade older than you and have been a member for longer ... but I'm still going to hold on to the lump sum and continue with the annual retired rate . . . for now . . .

Rob
E2E http://www.cycle-endtoend.org.uk
HoECC http://www.heartofenglandcyclingclub.org.uk
Cytech accredited mechanic . . . and woodworker
Si

Post by Si »

robgul wrote:I'm a shade older than you .......

Blimey...I wouldn't have guessed - just goes to show that cycling keeps you young!
robgul

Post by robgul »

Si wrote:
robgul wrote:I'm a shade older than you .......

Blimey...I wouldn't have guessed - just goes to show that cycling keeps you young!

Ah - it's the youthful good looks .... and the effects of :wink: a young(er) wife

Rob
E2E http://www.cycle-endtoend.org.uk
HoECC http://www.heartofenglandcyclingclub.org.uk
Cytech accredited mechanic . . . and woodworker