What the CTC did for us?

al_yrpal

What the CTC did for us?

Post by al_yrpal »

Thanks for your missive Gordon. In your list of 'achievements' there was everthing for the cycle commuter but absolutely nothing mentioned for the Touring Cyclist.

You could have lobbied for more consistent cycle provision on trains and long distance buses. You could have approached all the airlines for an agreed provision for transporting bicycles on aeroplanes from and to the UK but you didnt.

I think that the CTC is moving away from representing the people that made it, and is obsessed with cycle commuting and its very sad.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
thirdcrank

Re: What the CTC did for us?

Post by thirdcrank »

I'll suggest that in any review like this, it's important to recognise the difference between inputs and outputs: in plain English, no matter how hard you work, only results count. It's not always easy to tell the difference, of course, because an excellent resut may only be a step on the way towards another goal. Life can be cruel in this regard, because the best results are sometimes achieved by a fluke while hard work goes unrewarded.

September CTC briefed MPs ahead of the ‘Get Britain Cycling’ debate in Parliament.

I've picked this because IMO it's a pure input and not, in itself, any sort of achievement. People lobby MP's all the time. It's never going to be easy to measure the results of something like this because they may only become apparent much later, but from the standard of the "Get Britain Cycling debate," no matter how much effort the CTC put into it, the result seemed pretty abysmal, which is no criticism of the CTC, but rather the of the standard of Parliamentary debates. That debate was, in it's turn, only an input to the goal of getting Britain cycling. :lol:
AlaninWales

Re: What the CTC did for us?

Post by AlaninWales »

al_yrpal wrote:Thanks for your missive Gordon. In your list of 'achievements' there was everthing for the cycle commuter but absolutely nothing mentioned for the Touring Cyclist.

You could have lobbied for more consistent cycle provision on trains and long distance buses. You could have approached all the airlines for an agreed provision for transporting bicycles on aeroplanes from and to the UK but you didnt.

I think that the CTC is moving away from representing the people that made it, and is obsessed with cycle commuting and its very sad.

Al

Is championing inclusive cycling not a positive for "the Touring Cyclist"?
Is campaigning for justice if cyclists are involved in collisions not a positive for "the Touring Cyclist"?
Is FillthatHole facility and the pressure to maintain the roads better not a positive for "the Touring Cyclist*"?

It seems to me a complaint that 'something is being done for somebody else' (cyclists who don't see themselves as tourists perhaps) rather than genuinely based on a lack of support (by CTC) for "the Touring Cyclist"?

*Whatever it is that makes a "Touring Cyclist" which it appears, not even this forum can settle.