Well done CTC

binsted

Well done CTC

Post by binsted »

Not quite sure where to post this but the "Cycle" magazine dropped through the door today and have to say it is a thoroughly good read.

Well done CTC, more interesting than the more expensive monthly IPC publications.
patricktaylor

Re: Well done CTC

Post by patricktaylor »

Yes, this one is apparently a good read. I'm looking forward to it when she's finished.
roberts8

Post by roberts8 »

For once I grabbed first looks and it really is a good read.
Certainly made me think of flying to Germany and following a river, then again I have always fancied following the Seine inland.
Well done CTC.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

As a new member (1st issue I have received) I was well impressed. I am also a member of the national body for another (water based) sport and their magazine (similar 6 issues per year) takes around 1 minute to skip through and find nothing of interest. CTC mag very worthwhile and impressive.

Ian
LollyKat

Post by LollyKat »

+1. I've particularly enjoyed this issue
patricktaylor

Post by patricktaylor »

patricktaylor wrote:... I'm looking forward to it when she's finished.

It's only been here a day and she's already threatening to cycle Brussels to Budapest (it's apparently a very good article).
The Mechanic

Post by The Mechanic »

Sorry to be a party pooper but I feel that the "Cycle" is a bit of an amateurish publication. I read it because it comes free with my subscription but would not buy it off the shelf in a newsagents. I also think that there is too much MTB stuff in it. I can see the CTC point, they are trying to attract members but, in my view, this is not what the CTC is about. But I guess that opens up a whole new (or old) debate. Another issue I have is that, reviewed kit is never rated. Rarely does the review say whether the kit is any good or not but just consists of a description, sometimes with good and bad points but never buy/don't buy recommendation or marks out of ten.
Cancer changes your outlook on life. Change yours before it changes you.
Si

Post by Si »

I also think that there is too much MTB stuff in it. I can see the CTC point, they are trying to attract members but, in my view, this is not what the CTC is about. But I guess that opens up a whole new (or old) debate.

Definitely 'old' debate. But I tend to agree with you - the MTB specific mags handle MTBing better (apart from cycle touring that happens to be done off road and on an mtb). On the other hand, the survey suggests that an MTB is the second most popular bike type within the club: so you could argue that it's about keeping existing members happy.

Anyhoo, virtually no MTB stuff in this issue.
RickH

Post by RickH »

The Mechanic wrote:I also think that there is too much MTB stuff in it.

I think the current issue has more column inches on Bob Damper & his 1894 Crypto Bantam than it does on MTBs. :D (I've not counted the rigid MTB forks bit as that is more about converting an MTB into a more roadworthy touring bike - a subject quite frequently discussed on this forum.)

According to the results of the members' survey (also published in the latest issue) 33% have a hardtail MTB & 9% have a full-sus MTB, so a significant proportion of folk have at least some interest in that area.

Rick.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

The Mechanic wrote:Another issue I have is that, reviewed kit is never rated. Rarely does the review say whether the kit is any good or not but just consists of a description, sometimes with good and bad points but never buy/don't buy recommendation or marks out of ten.

I never trust a "good" or highly rated review of an item from anywhere that requires income (advertisers). I'm sure most mags/organisations would never rate some rubbish highly just to keep advertising income (and I'm not accusing CTC or anything untoward), but there is always the risk of "rounding-up" or the reviewer giving something "the benefit of the doubt". Where an article rates something highly (or for something I might buy) I read any user comments submitted below any review or separately on personal websites/forums. And then I pay more attention to the "I used one for x months/miles and ..." than the "Looks a bit ... to me" comments (i.e. personal experience rather than opinion). Same reason as I never bother looking as the "reviews" links on a manufacturers web site (or even the comments they have approved (are they really going to link to a web site or approve a comment that says "Complete rubbish product ...".

Ian
patricktaylor

Post by patricktaylor »

Psamathe wrote:... (are they really going to link to a web site or approve a comment that says "Complete rubbish product ...".

A surprising number do, actually (Brooks does, for example). But I agree with the general point about mag reviews. I always wonder what manufacturers think when they see reviews of three selected bicycles and none of them is ever theirs. Perhaps it's a double-edged sword.
brumster

Post by brumster »

Particularly found the Bikefitting article of interest - not that I feel I want or need one, but it all seems to be the rage now with a number of magazines suggesting it is very important to be properly fitted when buying a new road bike. ( What If you're buying a folder / recumbent/ or mountainbike ? )