No more CTC technical officer ** NO HOAX **

531colin

No more CTC technical officer ** NO HOAX **

Post by 531colin »

I have just been told the CTC have decided they don't need anybody on the staff who is expert in bike technical matters, or even touring, come to that.
Is this a hoax?
Last edited by Graham on 1 Jan 2015, 2:40pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: ? Hoax ? changed to * No Hoax *
horizon

Re: No more CTC technical officer ??HOAX??

Post by horizon »

I don't know if it is a hoax or not but if you read this it may give some indication as to what is going on.

viewtopic.php?f=48&t=78798&start=75

Second post down.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

531colin wrote:I have just been told the CTC have decided they don't need anybody on the staff who is expert in bike technical matters, or even touring, come to that.
Is this a hoax?

Unfortunately not.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
pete75

Post by pete75 »

531colin wrote:I have just been told the CTC have decided they don't need anybody on the staff who is expert in bike technical matters, or even touring, come to that.
Is this a hoax?

The Cyclists Touring Club don't need any staff who know about cycles or touring???
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
mjr

Post by mjr »

pete75 wrote:The Cyclists Touring Club don't need any staff who know about cycles or touring???

It's not called that any more...

Playing devil's advocate: wouldn't it be better if CTC prioritised hiring staff who can organise cyclists and activists into groups and enable them to further the mission, rather than staff who know about the same stuff and try to achieve the mission themselves and fail because CTC's smaller budget just can't compete with anti-cycling groups? (not anti-cycling as a thing itself, but anti-cycling in practice because they want the roads for motor vehicles or they're just thoughtless or whatever)
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I am very very VERY disappointed.
I'm so disappointed, I'm very nearly angry about it. :evil:
CTC and myself will part company.

I will carry on on the forum, but CTC can push off.
Mick F. Cornwall
broadway

Post by broadway »

mjr wrote:
pete75 wrote:The Cyclists Touring Club don't need any staff who know about cycles or touring???

Playing devil's advocate: wouldn't it be better if CTC prioritised hiring staff who can organise cyclists and activists into groups and enable them to further the mission, rather than staff who know about the same stuff and try to achieve the mission themselves and fail because CTC's smaller budget just can't compete with anti-cycling groups? (not anti-cycling as a thing itself, but anti-cycling in practice because they want the roads for motor vehicles or they're just thoughtless or whatever)

I suppose it's a bit like expecting Headway to know what they are talking about.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

mjr wrote:

Eh? What is it called now then?
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
horizon

Post by horizon »

CTC (not "the" CTC)
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
geocycle

Post by geocycle »

So when we (CTC) get asked a question from the media about lighting regulations we will wheel out.....? When members have touring or technical questions they will approach...? All organisations change but functions associated with roles need to be fulfilled. If the latter isn't possible it changes the nature of the organisation.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Just cancelled my direct debit for my membership and emailed CTC to inform them.
The next subscription isn't due until May next year and they'll send me my renewal through the post.

I doubt I'll pay.
Mick F. Cornwall
mjr

Post by mjr »

geocycle wrote:So when we (CTC) get asked a question from the media about lighting regulations we will wheel out.....? When members have touring or technical questions they will approach...? All organisations change but functions associated with roles need to be fulfilled. If the latter isn't possible it changes the nature of the organisation.

Either it'll be answered from the library or they'll put people in contact with some member who is acknowledged as expert on the subject. Shouldn't a membership organisation be about the members rather than its HQ staff? :twisted:
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

geocycle wrote:So when we (CTC) get asked a question from the media about lighting regulations we will wheel out.....? When members have touring or technical questions they will approach...? All organisations change but functions associated with roles need to be fulfilled. If the latter isn't possible it changes the nature of the organisation.

There is always the forum ;)
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Si

Post by Si »

It has come as a shock. My gut reaction was that getting rid of CJ was like getting rid of the winged wheel...feels like both have been associated with the CTC for an equal amount of time!

However, as we don't know the full circumstances of the redundancies (yep, a few people are going) I would suggest that we temper our views as, for all we know, some of those being made redundant may be in a position where they can do freelance work for the CTC and we wouldn't want sour the apple cart on their behalf.

I'm told that National Office are preparing a statement.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

From the POV of individual employees, the impact of redundancy depends on personal factors including age and other employment prospects. Bearing in mind that it's just a fortnight to Christmas, I hope that anybody who is facing redundancy is a volunteer.

Somebody can only be redundant if the job they do disappears. (My wording.) It's a sad day when the organisation claiming to speak for all cyclists finds it has no need for somebody to do all the technical stuff - in its widest sense, here, including things like traffic regulations - which CJ has covered. It will be interesting to read what other expertise the CTC has decided it can do without. :? I did think that one of the charitable aims of the CTC was to encourage cycling. It's worth noting that there are few more discouraging things than problems of any sort with your bike.

On a personal note, I'd like to record my thanks to Chris Juden for the help I've had. Not so long ago, it wasn't possible to find out things from the internet eg Shimano Techdocs. When I had trouble with my Nexus 7 in the 1990's he sent me a copy of the only available instructions in Europe (the fact that they were only published in German was a useful mental challenge. :D )