CTC Ride Rules

Bikefayre

CTC Ride Rules

Post by Bikefayre »

No comment, subject closed!
Last edited by Bikefayre on 10 Feb 2015, 3:00pm, edited 2 times in total.
Si

Re: CTC Club Ride Rules

Post by Si »

My understanding is:
CTC member groups cannot disallow someone because of the age or type of their bike (they can disallow someone if the bike is not roadworthy).
CTC member groups cannot disallow someone because they are not wearing club colours.
The rules regarding medical conditions are a little more complex - if they believe that someone is not medically fit enough to safely ride then they may have grounds for asking someone not to ride with them.

However, you would be much better off talking direct to National Office cycling@ctc.org.uk or 0844 736 8450 or 01483 238 337 (local rate) for an official conformation.
Bikefayre

Post by Bikefayre »

Subject closed!
Last edited by Bikefayre on 10 Feb 2015, 3:02pm, edited 1 time in total.
beardy

Post by beardy »

Are you sure it is a CTC club?

I rarely ever see CTC shirts on CTC rides and there are normally bikes there that represent the last three or four decades.
mjr

Post by mjr »

There are some CTC-affiliated clubs which strongly encourage road bikes, car use, club colours, helmets and so on - I don't remember any explicit bans except against unhelmetted riders.

I can't remember if I've seen any with advice against certain illnesses - wouldn't that be a discrimination offence under the Equality Act 2010? Diabetes is used as an example of a chronic illness that qualifies as a disability in http://www.equalityhumanrights.com/your ... disability - but quite apart from this, there seems little common-sense reason to ban otherwise stable diabetics from rides just for being diabetic.

The group I ride with most (CycleNation-affiliated rather than CTC, but some overlap in members) includes riders with various illnesses, bikes and hats, allows but doesn't expect car use or club colours.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
easyroller

Post by easyroller »

Bikefayre wrote:My local CTC club is a car based club with nothing but four figure road bikes so have no chance.

Stupid question: What is a car based club?
mjr

Post by mjr »

easyroller wrote:Stupid question: What is a car based club?

I understand it as one where you are expected to reach the ride start/finish point by shoving the bike in/on a motor vehicle, rather than one where you can ride between much of its catchment area and the start/finish points. Sometimes this is because the start/finish is too far away from population centres and sometimes it's because the start time is too early.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
gaz

Post by gaz »

The various policies which CTC Member Groups are expected to follow can be found here: http://www.ctc.org.uk/events/support-fo ... procedures
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
Bikefayre

Post by Bikefayre »

Subject closed!
Last edited by Bikefayre on 10 Feb 2015, 3:04pm, edited 1 time in total.
gaz

Post by gaz »

As a point of information I feel I should add that the CTC does not monitor the forum and rarely responds in an official capacity to matters raised on here.

CTC's complaint procedure can be found here and is probably the most appropriate channel to follow should you wish to pursue the matter.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
PH

Post by PH »

Why have you not named the group?
It seems to me that not doing so tars all groups and deprives this one of explaining or defending it's actions.

It's not always easy catering for everyone, the people doing it are volunteers treading the fine line between attracting new riders and keeping existing ones.
More volunteers = More choice, but if my experience is anything to go by for every 20 people full of good ideas you're lucky to find 1 willing to put the effort in to make something happen.
having said that, I've never come across a bike restriction, other than it being roadworthy, nor have I seen any CTC group out with more than half the members in club kit. Both policies would seem counter productive to me.
Bikefayre

Post by Bikefayre »

Subject closed!
Last edited by Bikefayre on 10 Feb 2015, 3:05pm, edited 1 time in total.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

WOW! I am genuinely stressed to read that. I've been a member for something like 20years. From the days when it was the Galloway Cycling Group. I didn't get to the AGM this year so have no knowledge of what has been discussed recently.

To my knowledge we have never turned anyone away. I can recall over the years, road unworthy bicycles turning up and I have witnessed other members giving components and helping to make said bicycles roadworthy.

As D&G is a vast rural area I am on the East of it. I am going to guess your issue has been with members in the West? They have a FB page and I have noted they post the avg speed for the ride in their reports. This is something historically we have never done. I also commented in the 2013 agm that I found them off putting.

Whatever someone is telling you as being rules I can state they are not rules. I did not buy any of the new kit as I still wear the original stuff from 20yrs ago. Try telling me I can't go the rides!

I shall forward this thread to out chairman and see what comment I receive.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
TonyR

Post by TonyR »

Bikefayre wrote:Are talking about the Dumfries & Galloway CTC Club in South West Scotland which is as far as I'm aware is a road bike only club and have road bike meetings from Ireland and other parts of Scotland.

Looking at their web page and runs list it doesn't look like that at all - in fact they have a monthly easy pace 20 miler as well as the weekly 40-50 milers. What you are describing sounds much more like a roadie training run than a CTC ride. I can see why a training ride would not want someone along who can't keep up training run speeds - its a bit of a pain when you are trying to get in a good training ride and have to keep on stopping and waiting for someone to catch up. But as others have said, that's not the CTC I know and club runs I have been on have been all sorts of people and bikes with a pace to suit all.
Bikefayre

Post by Bikefayre »

Subject closed!
Last edited by Bikefayre on 10 Feb 2015, 3:07pm, edited 1 time in total.