The Big Membership Give-Away

gaz

Post by gaz »

5,000 free CTC memberships up for grabs: http://www.bigbikerevival.org.uk/prize-draw/

All part of CTC's ambitious Big Bike Revival project aiming to get 50,000 people back on their bikes.

I wonder what the percentage target is for paid renewals?
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
Heltor Chasca

Re: The Big Membership Give-Away

Post by Heltor Chasca »

I 'won' a free membership with a certain fluttery entomology society. During the initial 'enjoy us' period they mucked up my details twice and then failed to send the quarterly magazine to me at all. Did I join? Nope...b
Heltor Chasca

Post by Heltor Chasca »

gaz wrote:5,000 free CTC memberships up for grabs: http://www.bigbikerevival.org.uk/prize-draw/

All part of CTC's ambitious Big Bike Revival project aiming to get 50,000 people back on their bikes.

I wonder what the percentage target is for paid renewals?

Just looked at the site. The deadline was 2 days ago. [emoji43] I'm plumping for a fairly low take up...b
gaz

Post by gaz »

There are two parts to this, which IMO is far from clear from the webpage. The draw for the Big Cycle Makeover is closed. The Big Prize Draw is still open: http://www.bigbikerevival.org.uk/prize- ... onditions/

The Big Prize Draw is open to people who submit a valid email address and telephone number when completing The Big Bike Revival Survey to tell us about the event(s) you attended or cycling activity you completed between May 23rd and June 7th that was inspired by The Big Bike Revival.
Entry to the Big Prize Draw closes on Friday June 12th.
Heltor Chasca

Post by Heltor Chasca »

gaz wrote:There are two parts to this, which IMO is far from clear from the webpage. The draw for the Big Cycle Makeover is closed. The Big Prize Draw is still open: http://www.bigbikerevival.org.uk/prize- ... onditions/

The Big Prize Draw is open to people who submit a valid email address and telephone number when completing The Big Bike Revival Survey to tell us about the event(s) you attended or cycling activity you completed between May 23rd and June 7th that was inspired by The Big Bike Revival.
Entry to the Big Prize Draw closes on Friday June 12th.

[emoji38] Funny. Tried it and it registered me twice but never asked for a phone number. Hey ho...b
Heltor Chasca

Post by Heltor Chasca »

Third time lucky through TapaTalk I found it, but it timed me out just before finishing the survey. Fate...[emoji17]

I'll join the local WI and learn to knit a hen house out of gingerbread...b
gaz

Post by gaz »

AFAICT it's the post event survey that registers you for the Big Prize Draw. Towards the end of the survey it says "e-mail or phone number". No sneaky filling in a survey without attending an event.
Heltor Chasca

Post by Heltor Chasca »

gaz wrote:AFAICT it's the post event survey that registers you for the Big Prize Draw. Towards the end of the survey it says "e-mail or phone number". No sneaky filling in a survey without attending an event.

Thanks Gaz. I get that being a fair forest fiddler, but wouldn't it be a good idea for the 'where and when' of these events to be advertised BEFORE the dripping bread was hung in front of the hungry peasants?

In this 5 minutes I'm thinking renewal taxes won't be paid come harvest time...b
Heltor Chasca

Post by Heltor Chasca »

I've had a good snuffle round the Big Bike Revival site and all the courses etc near me are very basic drop in sessions. Further afield the intermediate course offered is way out of my price league. It's a pity...b
gaz

Post by gaz »

Herein lies the complexity.

Whilst I am a CTC member, I rarely visit CTC's main website and have opted out of most of their e-mail communications. The forum is not an official communication channel so the events were never going to be advertised here.

The Big Bike Revival isn't aimed at regular riders. The bike chains offering maintenance sessions locally aren't ones I frequent. Advertising for events may have been in places where I would not have seen it, I'm not part of the target audience.

Presumably those who gave an e-mail address at registration will receive a prompt to complete their survey. The post event survey results are key to CTC in demonstrating to their funders that the project has been a success, increasing the chances of securing further funding*. An incentive to complete the survey seems appropriate.

Edit: *That's securing further funding for follow up events with the aim of getting more people on bikes, people already on bike on those bikes more often, etc.
Last edited by gaz on 25 May 2015, 3:13pm, edited 1 time in total.
Si

Post by Si »

Heltor Chasca wrote:I've had a good snuffle round the Big Bike Revival site and all the courses etc near me are very basic drop in sessions. Further afield the intermediate course offered is way out of my price league. It's a pity...b

Indeed. We wanted to put on a proper Dr Bike / bike rebuild thingy but being part of the event, or, indeed, being a CTC group does not cover us insurance wise. So we didn't, despite having all the know-how, the spare bits, some donor bikes and the tools.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

The saddest thing is that it isn't a lack of bikes that is stopping ordinary people from cycling for transport, it's the horrible road conditions. We're a long-term keen cycling family, and even we've given up cycling to school now, after six years. If keen touring and campaigning members of CTC are put off cycling because of the constant background threat from motor traffic, what hope is there for ordinary people taking up cycling?

The Big Bike Revival is barking up completely the wrong tree. The only way to get ordinary people riding bicycles is to make riding a bicycle safe and pleasant. Where this is the case, on motor-traffic-free cycleways, bicycle traffic grows without any encouragement! Ordinary people cannot be expected to cycle willingly amongst hostile and dangerous motor traffic, even if you do mend their puncture and pump their tyres up.