Sky not funding Team Sky from 2020

Now we have something / quite-a-lot to discuss and celebrate.
Postboxer

Sky not funding Team Sky from 2020

Post by Postboxer »

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/46535894

Hope they find a new sponsor quickly, don't know who though. HSBC took over from Sky sponsoring British Cycling a couple of years ago.
Hobbs1951

Re: Sky not funding Team Sky from 2020

Post by Hobbs1951 »

Postboxer wrote:https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/46535894

Hope they find a new sponsor quickly, don't know who though. HSBC took over from Sky sponsoring British Cycling a couple of years ago.

Sky withdraw their sponsorship at the end of the 2019 season: this was predicted so no surprise there, doubt the team (i.e the members) will survive as a team.

John.
1982john

Post by 1982john »

No doubt once everyone cant whinge about sky winning all the time they move onto quick step...

What does it mean for people like Geriant who have recently signed multi-year contracts?
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

1982john wrote:No doubt once everyone cant whinge about sky winning all the time they move onto quick step...

What does it mean for people like Geriant who have recently signed multi-year contracts?

€€€!
I bet the contracts would be interesting to read
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
geocycle

Post by geocycle »

I guess everything has a natural end date and James Murdoch's changed role following the takeover was the last straw according to Tom Fordyce. I'm slightly surprised they hadn't got a new sponsor to unveil at the same time as this announcement given how professional they are (in most!) areas. They've probably only got a short window before the vultures start circling.
100%JR

Post by 100%JR »

Movistar and Quickstep have survived under various guises.
There's no reason why Team Sky can't carry on as Team.....it will just need a big sponsor....which is probably already in place.
iandriver

Post by iandriver »

Supporter of the A10 corridor cycling campaign serving Royston to Cambridge http://a10corridorcycle.com. Never knew gardening secateurs were an essential part of the on bike tool kit until I took up campaigning.....
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

1982john wrote:No doubt once everyone cant whinge about sky winning all the time they move onto quick step...

Quick Step aren't winning by just spending more than everyone on super-domestiques for Grand Tours though, so while fans of other teams may begrudge them their palmares they'll not so much be begrudging them their budget, or at least not as much as Sky!

If what is now Team Sky survive but with a sharp budget cut I think that would be a Good Thing. They can still do well with merely a good selection of good riders, rather than a suffocating selection of good riders.

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

The Grauniad reports that vultures are lurking
My favourite birds :wink:
Postboxer

Post by Postboxer »

It's a pity that McLaren -

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cycling/46536013

won't be sponsoring them. It depends what direction they want to go in. If they want to stay being a British team winning with British riders then I'd like a quality, British brand sponsoring them. Although I'm not sure what brands are actually still British, don't think McLaren are. Maybe Dyson or someone like that? Googling reveals Dyson have sponsored Bath rugby for the last four years and will do until at least 2023.

Other candidates?

Soreen? Made in Manchester just around the corner from me and expanding into the school lunch and cyclist's pockets market.
100%JR

Post by 100%JR »

Virgin?
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Network Rail :wink:
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

Postboxer wrote:
Soreen? Made in Manchester just around the corner from me and expanding into the school lunch and cyclist's pockets market.

I would think a perfect fit for some form of cycling sponsorship. After all, Foska's Soreen jersey suggests a certain level of like among cyclists already. However, I suspect that the sort of backing they could put in wouldn't get the current Team Sky much further than out of bed...

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
sylvestermorgan

Post by sylvestermorgan »

BT have been muscling into Sky territory for a few years now. This would be ideal for them!
ChrisButch

Post by ChrisButch »

pjclinch wrote:
If what is now Team Sky survive but with a sharp budget cut I think that would be a Good Thing. They can still do well with merely a good selection of good riders, rather than a suffocating selection of good riders.

Yes. On several occasions they've been fielding teams in simultaneous stage races in different countries. That must be a dispensable luxury.