GCN Plus

Now we have something / quite-a-lot to discuss and celebrate.
VinceLedge

GCN Plus

Post by VinceLedge »

Is anyone else having a problem with the GCN+ app? It was working fine until yesterday when it developed a strange fault - when watching a race replay video the progress bar that allows you to move to different points in the video works ok until I Chromecast to my tv when this bar changes to only displaying the amount of the video you have actually watched, so no way of moving it on......
sizbut

Re: GCN Plus

Post by sizbut »

Not seen that, but would agree that the Cast function within the GCN app is flawed. I can use BBC iPlayer, Amazon Prime no issue. GCN will frequently have short pauses but if I stop casting it its absolutely fine on the tablet display. Its also fine if I just use the tablet's own screen mirror function to cast the whole display rather than the cast button within GCN - so reasonably sure its a GCN casting issue. Not surprise that this weekend they were recruiting for developers with a whole long list of internet related computing skills.
VinceLedge

Post by VinceLedge »

That sounds like it might be related to my issue!
comfortablynumb

Post by comfortablynumb »

Sorry to be late here, I read the forums most days but not this particular one very often.
I have been using the Eurosport app (Android) on Samsung tablets and a Sony phone for several years with Chromecast. I started with the 1st generation Chromecast which worked for a while but then became bothersome with continual buffering problems, moving to the 2nd generation, that was better but this year that had buffering issues too. I had the same problems casting from my desktop computer via Chrome browser.
Like you I no problems at all with YouTube, BBC iplayer, All4 etc just the Eurosport app for the cycling.
A couple of weeks ago I bought the latest "Chromecast Ultra with Google TV" £59.99 from Argos. I didn't want the TV bit, but it seems that is the only way to a get the Chromecast Ultra now, at least new.
I hate to tempt fate but it's working brilliantly, no buffering at all and the remote which I thought I wouldn't use I actually find very useful. It looks cheap but it works really well. It allows you to rewind right to the start of the programme so you can join at any time and pause easily for phone, doorbell etc.
I've never had the GCN app but I presume it's from the the same developers with the same strengths and foibles.
Steve.
RickH

Post by RickH »

I'm mainly using the browser version on my PC with it connected to the TV as a 3rd monitor. That setup works great for me. I occasionally used the android app on my phone.

I don't know if it was just me being slow on the uptake but, for races, in the section below the "live" video there in the "highlights & extras" there is a long highlights about 45 minutes long and a 4 to 5 minute short highlights, plus a stream of the last few km. I've found the short one good for getting up to speed when I ve missed a stage or 2 of a multiday race & want to get up to date without spending hours doing so.

I've found the "documentary" stuff that I've watched to be good too.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
Redvee

Post by Redvee »

You can also get GCN+ on the Amazon Fire Stick.
NickJP

Post by NickJP »

The GCN+ app can also be installed on the Chromecast with Google TV device, so you don't need to cast from a phone or tablet. That's how I run mine. When running directly on the Chromecast, you don't have a progress bar to jump directly to a particular point in the video, but you have instead fast forward or reverse at various speeds from 2x to 256x.
sizbut

Post by sizbut »

Yes I gave in and bought a new Chromecast to see if it helped. Didn't know GCN could be put directly on it - thanks for that hint.

With the new Chromecast it does seem a bit of a backward step that all the controls in the Android device that triggered the casting no longer work - especially volume.

With the older versions and GCN I did find that using the media option in Google's home app gives you some playback controls when GCN isn't cooperating.
VinceLedge

Post by VinceLedge »

I had this problem a few weeks ago and reported it to GCN who responded and eventually fixed the problem, definitely a GCN software issue. It has just started happening again, I suspect either phone or Chromecast software has updated and caused a problem.
Pendodave

Post by Pendodave »

I watch the eurosport coverage (with the paid logon) on my LG telly using the standard LG browser. It works really well, and allows selection of start point etc.
Has anyone successfully (or unsuccessfully) used this method to watch GCN+?
Eurosport sniffily told me it 'wasn't supported' when I asked about it, so I'm not particularly confident I'd get a straightforward answer if I asked GCN directly.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Yes we watch GCN+ via LG browser works really well. We can also watch using the app on a Firestick or on IOS We prefer the LG browser because the two coverages, live show which starts around 15 mins before live coverage, are easily found. There has been sound issues on live show which didn’t happen on live coverage.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
pedalsheep

Post by pedalsheep »

Paulatic wrote: 5 Jul 2021, 3:57pm Yes we watch GCN+ via LG browser works really well.
I'm afraid my experience is the opposite! I got nothing but a blank screen when I tried it on my LG telly and when I emailed GCN they just told me that it was not supported.
'Why cycling for joy is not the most popular pastime on earth is still a mystery to me.'
Frank J Urry, Salute to Cycling, 1956.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

We are on software version 03-23-05
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info