Victoria Pendleton: corrosive culture forced me out of cycling

Now we have something / quite-a-lot to discuss and celebrate.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Olympic champion backs criticism of performance director Shane Sutton
‘I couldn’t stay working with these people,’ claims cyclist-turned-jockey

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2016/may/26/victoria-pendleton-olympics-shane-sutton?utm_source=esp&utm_medium=Email&utm_campaign=GU+Today+main+NEW+H+categories&utm_term=174303&subid=7646217&CMP=EMCNEWEML6619I2
TrevA

Re: Victoria Pendleton: corrosive culture forced me out of cycling

Post by TrevA »

I've read Pendletons autobiography and I think she's as mad as a box of frogs. Mentally unstable, bursts into tears at the drop of a hat (Look at how she was on Strictly Come Dancing). Needing constant support and reassurance, I'm surprised she lasted in the sport as long as she did. She was also having an affair with one of her coaches - breaching the rider/coach protocol.

As for being forced out of the sport, she made the decision to retire a couple of years before the London Olympics and had to be talked back into riding by Sutton and Co. I think she's just jumping on the "Bash Sutton and Bash BC" bandwagon.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

TrevA wrote:I've read Pendletons autobiography and I think she's as mad as a box of frogs. Mentally unstable, bursts into tears at the drop of a hat (Look at how she was on Strictly Come Dancing). Needing constant support and reassurance, I'm surprised she lasted in the sport as long as she did. She was also having an affair with one of her coaches - breaching the rider/coach protocol.

As for being forced out of the sport, she made the decision to retire a couple of years before the London Olympics and had to be talked back into riding by Sutton and Co. I think she's just jumping on the "Bash Sutton and Bash BC" bandwagon.

Absolutely, but what an athlete. Probably worth the not inconsiderable effort needed to keep her focused.
Trail Beater

Post by Trail Beater »

I can see how the corrosive culture forced her into the Lads mag FHM.
old_windbag

Post by old_windbag »

Trail Beater wrote:I can see how the corrosive culture forced her into the Lads mag FHM.

Oh no Trailbeater we'll be vilified even more for criticising womens rights.

I think she has a nice body, well she's an athlete, but I feel her comments etc slightly hippocritical to the other things she's done. Which we know have links in other posts. Never thought she'd end off as a jockey either.

I have an image of Shane Sutton as a proper old school hard nosed aussie bloke, but many people today seem so wrapped in cotton wool they can't take comments that many of us would simply brush off. If you've ever worked on a factory shop floor etc people will say things that you take things with a pinch of salt and give your own back. No grudges, the air is cleared. Some things get taken very personally, you may not feel people should say them but get used to coping as it happens.
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
She was talked into horse racing too...............bad mistake I.M.O.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Trail Beater

Post by Trail Beater »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Hi,

Yep,I hate Horse Racing.
To think people spend their giro's on that crap.
Trail Beater

Post by Trail Beater »

old_windbag wrote:
Trail Beater wrote:I can see how the corrosive culture forced her into the Lads mag FHM.

Oh no Trailbeater we'll be vilified even more for criticising womens rights.

I think she has a nice body, well she's an athlete, but I feel her comments etc slightly hippocritical to the other things she's done. Which we know have links in other posts. Never thought she'd end off as a jockey either.

I have an image of Shane Sutton as a proper old school hard nosed aussie bloke, but many people today seem so wrapped in cotton wool they can't take comments that many of us would simply brush off. If you've ever worked on a factory shop floor etc people will say things that you take things with a pinch of salt and give your own back. No grudges, the air is cleared. Some things get taken very personally, you may not feel people should say them but get used to coping as it happens.

Oh I know.
VP seems the type to use things to her advantage.
If it keeps her in the spotlight.
old_windbag

Post by old_windbag »

Trail Beater wrote:VP seems the type to use things to her advantage.

Well when Jess Varnish returns from having her baby she'll be doing it too :lol: . The worlds gone mad in many ways with "characters" being removed from it as they aren't PC. I watched a program about James Hunt and Barry Sheene, their lifestyles and the glory days of F1 and motorcyle racing. It would make an feminist cringe, yet these were two very popular individuals, both able on circuit and articulate off. That women "threw" themselves at them was more to do with their charisma and personality than anything else. They certainly lived on the edge.

When I see the clinical approach of cycle teams like sky or F1 like Mercedes, I feel something has gone. Also Lewis Hamilton may never have survived one season in the 70's with the real danger involved, you could not afford to make a big mistake, today that jeopardy has been removed in the most part.
fishfright

Post by fishfright »

Pretty much a whole page of personal attacks and not one comment on the well known and often pointed out problems in the women's side UK side of pro cycling.

Disgusting
Trail Beater

Post by Trail Beater »

I don't like her fish fright .
For reasons above.
Nuff said
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
For her own safety I would see Vic give up this horse riding thingy, when she was asked to have a go she'd never even touched a horse.

In the two races that were viewed on tv news another rider fell in the same camera shot and BOTH horse riders were kicked in the head, when they grabbed their heads the camera shot was cut.............................................I assume that the riders were pro's or had ridden before.

Vickys got several strings to her bow I would go for the safe ones, horse riding probably tops motoX and boxing.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Trail Beater

Post by Trail Beater »

old_windbag wrote:
Trail Beater wrote:VP seems the type to use things to her advantage.

Well when Jess Varnish returns from having her baby she'll be doing it too :lol: . The worlds gone mad in many ways with "characters" being removed from it as they aren't PC. I watched a program about James Hunt and Barry Sheene, their lifestyles and the glory days of F1 and motorcyle racing. It would make an feminist cringe, yet these were two very popular individuals, both able on circuit and articulate off. That women "threw" themselves at them was more to do with their charisma and personality than anything else. They certainly lived on the edge.

When I see the clinical approach of cycle teams like sky or F1 like Mercedes, I feel something has gone. Also Lewis Hamilton may never have survived one season in the 70's with the real danger involved, you could not afford to make a big mistake, today that jeopardy has been removed in the most part.

I imagine Jess will have a ghost writer lined up already,with "warts 'n' all revelations about how Victoria Pendleton stole her boyfriend once,she likes green and how her coach had a funny accent.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Trail Beater wrote:
NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Hi,

Yep,I hate Horse Racing.
To think people spend their giro's on that crap.

I wouldn't like to do a three week tour on a horse :shock:
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
old_windbag

Post by old_windbag »

reohn2 wrote:I wouldn't like to do a three week tour on a horse :shock:

Especially a carpenters horse :) .

Trail Beater wrote:I imagine Jess will have a ghost writer lined up already,with "warts 'n' all revelations about how Victoria Pendleton stole her boyfriend once,she likes green and how her coach had a funny accent.

Theres a lot of this book writing going on. I find it surprising how so many celebrities have so many stories to fill 500+ pages. Every interview they have leads up to "oh and you've recently written a book" :roll: . Pain in the rear end.