Tour de France 2016 - SPOILERS

Now we have something / quite-a-lot to discuss and celebrate.
Paulatic

Re: Tour de France 2016 - SPOILERS

Post by Paulatic »

honesty wrote:
They really need to do something about the crowds. It's been getting worse as far as I can see in the last few years.

What interests me is why doesn't the rest of the crowd control the unruly element of the crowd?

My only experience of big crowds was at TdF in Yorkshire. Holding our position on the road which we'd staked from 6 hrs before was difficult as there was a rude element who think they can turn up an hour before and stand in front of you. We firmly told them to clear off and very quickly those either side gained confidence and followed suit.
I just wonder why on the climbs the rest of the crowd allow the idiots to run alongside riders waving flags. Surely if the crowd pulled them in and pushed them to the back of the throng others would follow suit and it would become the norm to deal with idiots?

So why doesn't it happen? Surely sensible people outnumber the irresponsible or maybe not.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
honesty

Post by honesty »

I've noticed on the vuelta that the police seem to take a much more active role in holding crowds back at key points than in the TdF. It's therefore possible to do this, so why not do it? Profit? French view on cycle racing? I don't know.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

honesty wrote:I've noticed on the vuelta that the police seem to take a much more active role in holding crowds back at key points than in the TdF. It's therefore possible to do this, so why not do it? Profit? French view on cycle racing? I don't know.

TBH I think it's about time something was done,things are getting crazy,there's always been the odd loonie,but in recent years it's bedlam,the amount utter madmen,and it is men,seems to grow with each year :?
Fancy dress is one thing but running alongside riders with flags,banners and outlandish head gear is downright dangerous,not mention a sea of people across the road that opens up,mostly,as the riders approach on the steeper parts of some of the more iconic climbs beggers belief at times.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Postboxer

Post by Postboxer »

I'm surprised the crowd isn't more self policing, they could just hire a few local rugby teams to drive anyone out of the way, I would if I saw someone causing nuisance. Maybe just posters of the expected etiquette, a lane painted on the road, although I don't really see why there has to be anyone on the road when the roadside is big enough for the fans to fit. Part of the problem yesterday was probably that the neutral service cars and team cars probably have a much harder time fighting through the crowds than the bikes do.
bobc

Post by bobc »

Fantastic to see M Cavendish showing the world how it's done. I'd sort of written him off after the last couple of years but he's bang back on top form in this year's tour. Hauling yourself back to number 1 when 30 yr old must be almost impossible & he deserves great credit.
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

Aye, I'd rather thought Cav was well past his best too: glad I was worng! Dimension (and MTN before) seem to be one of those teams that are really good at letting riders do what they do best.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

pjclinch wrote:Aye, I'd rather thought Cav was well past his best too: glad I was worng! Dimension (and MTN before) seem to be one of those teams that are really good at letting riders do what they do best.

Agreed,Cav has been phenomenal in the Tour,and Steve Cumming's win made it for me,what a powerhouse!
But let's not forget the canny young Adam Yates and of course Froomedog :mrgreen:

The French must hate us :D
Last edited by reohn2 on 17 Jul 2016, 11:09am, edited 1 time in total.
W H Auden
belgiangoth

Post by belgiangoth »

Yates is ok with it, but Molema points out the obvious. Interesting that there is one rule for Sagan on the Vuelta and one for Froome on the tour. Now that the dust has settled it is clear that the decision was against the rules and there is a big national bias/disparity on the outcome.
If I had a baby elephant, I would put it on a recumbent trike so that it would become invisible.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

belgiangoth wrote:Yates is ok with it, but Molema points out the obvious. Interesting that there is one rule for Sagan on the Vuelta and one for Froome on the tour. Now that the dust has settled it is clear that the decision was against the rules and there is a big national bias/disparity on the outcome.

I'm not going to speculate the if buts or maybe's of Ventoux,the race is where it is,and the Alps will decide who the strong men are.
W H Auden
Si

Post by Si »

belgiangoth wrote:Yates is ok with it, but Molema points out the obvious. Interesting that there is one rule for Sagan on the Vuelta and one for Froome on the tour. Now that the dust has settled it is clear that the decision was against the rules and there is a big national bias/disparity on the outcome.

This is not correct - the decision was clearly within the rules as there are caveats built into them to allow the committee leeway in such situations. The Vuelta and the Tour have a different set of rules....so what,they are different races.
Anyway, ATM Froome would still have been in yellow either way!
Postboxer

Post by Postboxer »

Sagan pulled out of the Vuelta injured so what else could they have done? Put the race on hold til he got better? Or am I looking at a different incident?
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Sagan by a tyre,the 2nd hand man tag is long forgotten.
As for Tony Martin,a big :shock: SUPERMAN!! :shock: :shock: :shock: INCREDIBLE machine of a human being!
W H Auden
Postboxer

Post by Postboxer »

May as well post this here as it was previously discussed, Kennaugh has withdrawn from the GB team for Rio and Cummings is replacing him.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/olympics/36838598
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

What a TT from Froome today...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
honesty

Post by honesty »

Yates has most impressed me as his team doesn't seem to do much in the way that Sky does for Froome.