ITV4 TDF Commentators Have Changed!

Now we have something / quite-a-lot to discuss and celebrate.
NATURAL ANKLING

Re: ITV4 TDF Commentators Have Changed!

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Flinders wrote:
The new team are an improvement for us, though I do miss the humorous bits with Boardman and Boulting.

Still there.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Vetus Ossa

Post by Vetus Ossa »

ITV viewers, stop complaining, at least you don't have to listen to the utterly tedious Declan Quigley drone on and on.
Beauty will save the world.
Flinders

Post by Flinders »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Hi,
Flinders wrote:
The new team are an improvement for us, though I do miss the humorous bits with Boardman and Boulting.

Still there.

Not the humorous bits I liked the year before last.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

After all the years of speculation a cycling hero of mine Robert Millar has now officially become Phillippa York. She is returning to journalism and we will be finding her on ITV4. I'm looking forward to it.
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/a-state ... ippa-york/
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
Paulatic wrote:After all the years of speculation a cycling hero of mine Robert Millar has now officially become Phillippa York. She is returning to journalism and we will be finding her on ITV4. I'm looking forward to it.

And he wore toe clips too :)
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
Flinders wrote:
NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Hi,
Flinders wrote:

Still there.

Not the humorous bits I liked the year before last.

ITV4 still the comical bits with their role plays, maybe I am watching some thing else?
High lights of course.

That duo on the live show are lost.......................
Millar is good as commentator I.M.O.
Glad that ligget has gone.
Spinners

Post by Spinners »

Paulatic wrote:After all the years of speculation a cycling hero of mine Robert Millar has now officially become Phillippa York. She is returning to journalism and we will be finding her on ITV4. I'm looking forward to it.

Fair play, it's a nice statement.
Cycling UK Life Member
PBP Ancien (2007)
hondated

Post by hondated »

Spinners wrote:

Fair play to her and I am glad she has finally decided to resume a career in cycling as she was one of our greats.
Having said that I remember getting her autograph at a major race many years ago and got into an argument with her so hopefully her temper has also changed as well.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Perhaps I'm the only one to be irritated by the way they pronounce AG2R La Mondiale, with AG2R being spelled out in English A G TWO R followed by La Mondiale with an emphasised French accent. This sponsor is the French equivalent of a mutual assurance company and the name used to be reduced to the acronym AGRR Then, as I understand it, somebody realised that the French version of AG two R's - pronounced "azhay derzair" sounds a bit like Agé desserre which roughly translated means "a financially comfortable old age."
Postboxer

Post by Postboxer »

Phillippa York will be with Matt Smith for three days, starting Thursday, so I'm assuming that's in the middle of the live coverage, whilst Ned and David have their lunch, not sure whether any of it will make the highlights show.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

thirdcrank wrote:Perhaps I'm the only one to be irritated by the way they pronounce AG2R La Mondiale, with AG2R being spelled out in English A G TWO R followed by La Mondiale with an emphasised French accent. This sponsor is the French equivalent of a mutual assurance company and the name used to be reduced to the acronym AGRR Then, as I understand it, somebody realised that the French version of AG two R's - pronounced "azhay derzair" sounds a bit like Agé desserre which roughly translated means "a financially comfortable old age."

could be worse, it might have been 'AGSMR2' or something.... :wink:

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

hondated wrote:
Spinners wrote:

Fair play to her and I am glad she has finally decided to resume a career in cycling as she was one of our greats.
Having said that I remember getting her autograph at a major race many years ago and got into an argument with her so hopefully her temper has also changed as well.

How did the argument arise? I thought sportspeople were contractually bound to give autographs. They have to be aggressive too, at least when racing. Jens Voigt is a good example, an aggressive rider but seems a nice guy otherwise
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
hondated

Post by hondated »

Cyril Haearn wrote:
hondated wrote:
Spinners wrote:

How did the argument arise? I thought sportspeople were contractually bound to give autographs. They have to be aggressive too, at least when racing. Jens Voigt is a good example, an aggressive rider but seems a nice guy otherwise

Way back in Milk Race days bryn. To be fair she had given me an autograph and passed what I considered to be a derogatory remark about the motorcycle leathers I was wearing, I may have been a touch sensitive at the time, and I was ready to go to war but her manager said to me leave it out you know how funny he ( she )can be and that was it. A hand bag at dawn moment for both of us really.
I,ve never forgot what a great rider she was though and I really am glad she is back involved in cycling as given her history we can all benefit from her opinions and analysis.
BakfietsUK

Post by BakfietsUK »

Initially I missed Phil and Paul, but now I think Ned and David actually add immense value to the coverage. Above all they seem to notice stuff that is really interesting, that seemed to be missed before. David particularly can see subtleties in the bunch that I would never have seen and he instantly tells us what he has seen. Ned has a good all round knowledge which adds more value to the watching experience.

I found Phil and Paul entertaining, but it was only when David Millar started with Ned that I found out what I was missing in terms on the stuff happening under the surface of the race.

I hope Phillipa York gets to be a regular too as she was an inspiration when riding as Robert Millar.

Maybe critics of the current generation may like to cast their minds back to 1985 when I think we got 30 mins on channel 4 with Phil Ligget. Before that we may have had 20 mins on World of Sport to cover about 5 classic races. Quite honestly, todays coverage is fantastic and in a way compared to the 1980's I would have been satisfied with Worzel Gummidge commentating if it meant having what we have now.
Si

Post by Si »

It's just not the same without shouts of "the break, Dave, the break", and random comments about ragmans trumpets. :lol: