Armitstead missed three drugs tests.

Now we have something / quite-a-lot to discuss and celebrate.
andrew_s

Re: Armitstead missed three drugs tests.

Post by andrew_s »

mjr wrote:JTL ... had been part of British Cycling teams off and on since 2005.

Is that British Cycling teams or British cycling teams?

I'm aware of him being part of the GB U23 team in 2004, and riding for GB in 2012 off the back of the same Endura wins that got him his Sky contract, but is there anything else?
Otherwise, I'm not aware of any BC involvment in the management of CC Étupes, Plowman Craven-Madison, Rapha Condor-Sharp, or Endura.
He didn't do any top level racing at all between mid-2005 and joining Plowman Craven in 2009 (glandular fever)
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

andrew_s wrote:

I'm aware of him being part of the GB U23 team in 2004, and riding for GB in 2012 off the back of the same dodgy Endura wins that got him his Sky contract, but is there anything else?
Otherwise, I'm not aware of any BC involvment in the management of CC Étupes, Plowman Craven-Madison, Rapha Condor-Sharp, or Endura.
He didn't do any top level racing at all between mid-2005 and joining Plowman Craven in 2009 (glandular fever)
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Professional sport is a murky business because there's a lot of money in it,by lottery funding and by sponsorship from big name equipment suppliers.
Big money,big prestige,big chances.
Did anyone think races are really won on "mineral water"?
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

andrew_s wrote:

I'm aware of him being part of the GB U23 team in 2004, and riding for GB in 2012 off the back of the same Endura wins that got him his Sky contract, but is there anything else?

JTL was sacked by Plowman Craven for unprofessional conduct. My son also rode for the team and I know why he was sacked but I won't go into it here (not drug related). Suffice to say that there was something odd about him.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

Ive just finished reading Lizzie's autobiography, which gives a bit more detail about the reasons behind the alleged missed tests. For the first one, the tester didn't say why he was there, didn't bother to ask for the team manager or go and see the team mechanic who was working in the hotel car park. It was quite obvious that the team was at the hotel, due to the presence of mechanic and team cars in the car park. This is the one that was successfully appealed at CAS.

The last missed test was due to her being in Ireland, when her whereabouts said she was at home in Monaco. Her future father in law was suffering with terminal cancer, and they'd made a last minute change of plan to go to Ireland to spend some time with him. She had changed her whereabouts for every day except one, which was the one where the tester turned up at her home in Monaco.

She is also not very complementary about British Cycling and the lack of support given to women riders. She makes the point that when Cav won the Worlds, there was a dedicated team to look after every aspect of his preparation. When Lizzie won, she just had a team manager and a mechanic, who were also looking after the Junior team, so they weren't around when she was trying to get her bike prepared, ready for the race. She had to ring her pro team manager, Danny Stam and get him to come and sort her bike out. She won despiteBC rather than because of them.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Modern technology, don't you luv it.
Whilst going to Ireland you think that part of the time you would be sitting on your rear and could spend a minute telling someone where you are?
But I know and I said previously IIRC that she did make a decision to put her family first, I accept that.

I can believe that she would not get support given to male riders, its a mans world for sure. All wrong and immoral of course.

This country think more of the remarks of footie managers (foreign) judging by BBC news sport report today...............then 16 minutes later they repeat the same article :roll:
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
mjr

Post by mjr »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Modern technology, don't you luv it.
Whilst going to Ireland you think that part of the time you would be sitting on your rear and could spend a minute telling someone where you are?

And in those minutes you have time, you may not have signal, you may not have battery and many of them (queuing and crossing border security at least, and more if flying) are definitely minutes where you are told not to use your mobile devices. God only knows how the ADAMS app behaves when the internet connection or battery dies, too.

I work on the move. The reality of mobile connections still do not generally live up to the promise. Web browsing works partly because of the statelessness and short-life connections of HTTP, but other protocols are often less robust and even with HTTP, apps need to handle a surprisingly wide variety of failure types gracefully. Edit: and so do the servers - even using a stable internet connection, it sometimes takes me a few tests to get a server setup that's as robust as possible while still being secure and that's with decades of experience and controlling the server, and I wonder whether WADA have hired someone as good as me and how good their testing is because I bet their server managers aren't using Whereabouts apps ;) so I suspect they will rely on non-technical reports from athletes when there's a problem.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
awavey

Post by awavey »

in the book it says she had gone to Ireland and had updated all her days whereabouts to Ireland right up till the start of the Womens Tour so about 10-14 days in total, except for a single day that she thought she might have to goto Holland for a sponsors event, that day she left as her default home address in Monaco.

at some point the sponsors agreed to let her miss the Holland event, but she didnt subsequently go back to update her whereabouts on that lone single day set to Monaco, to Ireland, and it was that day the tester called at Monaco.

so its not about lack of signal, getting caught out by sudden changes of plans, she just forgot to update the system correctly and set the one anomalous day to Ireland, maybe understandably with all that was going on, but as the book reports, strike 2 was similar in that the whereabouts system showed her as being in Monaco, when she was in Leeds, though it glosses over quite how UKAD spotted that mistake. And Simon Thorntons job was basically to check for such anomalies, days when it was clear she hadnt filled the system in properly because all the days around it where in a different place.

so I do find it odd that CASs findings report should be blocked for release, when shes gone into that kind of detail she says in her book she didnt want to at the time, what difference does it make now ?
mjr

Post by mjr »

https://audioboom.com/posts/5924085-the ... ode-12?t=0 says LA blocked publication at the time to protect relatives. It's not clear to me whether there's any process for later publication of a blocked report.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.