How Much Do They Earn ?

Now we have something / quite-a-lot to discuss and celebrate.
landsurfer

How Much Do They Earn ?

Post by landsurfer »

With all the comments about Lottery spend on the Olympics and the Athletes themselves does any one know what they earn?
The grants from the lottery and the individual sports bodies must be in the public domain ?
Tax returns ?
Does Mo Farah have personal fortune of £18 million ?
Some one knows....
Pro cyclists basic salaries are often bandied around by the press, but track athletes ???
If your a world class Athlete with multiple advertising contracts and a huge personal fortune from appearance fees, start fees etc should the Lottery be paying for you ??
Is the Lottery paying for you ???
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
TrevA

Re: How Much Do They Earn ?

Post by TrevA »

The track cyclists are paid a living wage by BC which means that they don't have to work. I think it's around £25000 per year for someone on the Olympic Podium programme but it depends who you are and how close to winning a medal you are. Well known athletes can earn extra money from sponsorship and may also get start money for any races they do. They also get all their training, racing and leisure clothing and bikes free. I think their accommodation is also provided.

This page on the BC website explains what they get:

https://www.britishcycling.org.uk/gbcyc ... -Academy-0

The road cyclists who ride for a pro team earn much more. I think Froome and Cav will be earning at least £1m a year and even the the likes of Kennaugh and Swift will be on a six figure salary. But they don't get any lottery funding.

Much of the money BC is awarded goes into support staff - coaches, nutritionists, people developing the bikes and aero aids. Plus they have to pay to hire the track for training and for road training camps. Plus travel to events.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Whatever the men earn the women earn a lot less although I wouldn't mind being a pound behind Laura Trott
http://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/news/ ... -6gkmmbwg7
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
PH

Post by PH »

landsurfer wrote:If your a world class Athlete with multiple advertising contracts and a huge personal fortune from appearance fees, start fees etc should the Lottery be paying for you ??
Is the Lottery paying for you ???

It is all in the public domain and hardly hard to find
http://www.uksport.gov.uk/our-work/inve ... ding-works

Athletes earning over £65,000 start to lose their funding on a pound for pound basis.
I have no doubt that those professional athletes who earn big money, compete in the Olympics for the love of their sport, certainly not for the financial gain, it would have cost them to do so.
I think people who reach the top of their sport are are the sort of people with the drive and determination that they'd reach the top of whatever career they found themselves in. Good luck to them.
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
So if Murray was not a tennis player he would be top in...................banking.........................anger management...............

Firms pay them to promote their goods / services, not sure that the fee is recouped by firm, but on a smile indicator it might be worth it, but for who, the receiver of the fee in murray's case, if you want to appear fashionable wearing holey jeans (distressed look) etc................/ expensive underwear.....follow the sheep...............
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
nosmarbaj

Post by nosmarbaj »

IIRC pro road cyclists' earnings were discussed during ITV4's TdF coverage. A domestique on the Tour will be making up to 250K (can't remember if GBP or Euro) - basic salary plus share of prize money plus whatever sponsorship etc they can pick up. The top guys will be earning millions.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

nosmarbaj wrote:IIRC pro road cyclists' earnings were discussed during ITV4's TdF coverage. A domestique on the Tour will be making up to 250K (can't remember if GBP or Euro) - basic salary plus share of prize money plus whatever sponsorship etc they can pick up. The top guys will be earning millions.

That's a good wage, and more than I was expecting TBH
nosmarbaj

Post by nosmarbaj »

More than I expected, too - but then again this was Tour riders, who almost by definition are among the top 200 or so in the world.
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

There was a medallist who let slip they got £40,000. Can't remember who now but think it was one of the women's team gold medalists but could be wrong about who.
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

Paulatic wrote:Whatever the men earn the women earn a lot less although I wouldn't mind being a pound behind Laura Trott

Interesting that Laura and Jason were being interviewed on Radio 4 and it came out Laura earns more from sponsorship than Jason does. So the max they can earn from the lottery funding is £65,000, which is hardly a fortune, given how hard they have to work and how short their careers can be.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Meanwhile… Skateboarding leaps into the Tokyo 2020 Olympics - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-37164307

Japanese Prime Minister appears as Super Mario! What does that say?

What next? :lol:

Al

… and to think they rejected Tiddlywinks!
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

TrevA wrote:
Paulatic wrote:Whatever the men earn the women earn a lot less although I wouldn't mind being a pound behind Laura Trott

Interesting that Laura and Jason were being interviewed on Radio 4 and it came out Laura earns more from sponsorship than Jason does. So the max they can earn from the lottery funding is £65,000, which is hardly a fortune, given how hard they have to work and how short their careers can be.

Having listened to that and other interviews he's done, I can understand why :lol:
PH

Post by PH »

TrevA wrote: So the max they can earn from the lottery funding is £65,000,

I think there’s some misunderstanding, the link earlier shows that Band A athletes can receive up to £28,000 funding and start to lose that when their other income reaches £65,000.
whoof

Post by whoof »

Bonefishblues wrote:
nosmarbaj wrote:IIRC pro road cyclists' earnings were discussed during ITV4's TdF coverage. A domestique on the Tour will be making up to 250K (can't remember if GBP or Euro) - basic salary plus share of prize money plus whatever sponsorship etc they can pick up. The top guys will be earning millions.

That's a good wage, and more than I was expecting TBH

In road cycling there is a minimum annual wage for the various team categories.
This states World tour 36300 Euro ( £31200) and Pro Continental 30250 Euro (£26000). For teams in the divisions below this there is no minimum wage. To put this in context if you are a British tennis player are get a wildcard to Wimbledon and lose in the first round you will get £30000 for that match.

http://cyclingtips.com/2014/11/how-uci- ... pro-teams/

If there' a minimum wage it's because without it some would be on a lot less. According to this article some still are.

There is also prize money but one team got 11000 Euros in last years Tour de France, the richest race in the world to be shard between 9 riders and all the support staff.

Unless you are Froome, Cavendish or a few others it's not a sport you do to get rich.
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Hi,
So if Murray was not a tennis player he would be top in...................banking.........................anger management...............

Firms pay them to promote their goods / services, not sure that the fee is recouped by firm, but on a smile indicator it might be worth it, but for who, the receiver of the fee in murray's case, if you want to appear fashionable wearing holey jeans (distressed look) etc................/ expensive underwear.....follow the sheep...............

I think you missed the point, that being that the amount of drive to succeed is a lot of how far many people can get as long as they're in a field they want to be in.

Take, for example, Chris Boardman. He now runs a very successful bike business, is policy adviser to BC and top of the list for briefing politicians, in demand as a commentator and pundit, spent some time as head of the Secret Squirrel Club managing a team to collate quite a bit of blue-sky thinking and collate it in to kit for Olympic success, was BC's choice for a national elite-level coaching programme, and is generally all-around respected as a Good Egg who gets things done.
He got nowhere in school and was an unemployed carpenter back in '92 when things changed a bit in Barcelona.

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...