Viviani's frame.

Now we have something / quite-a-lot to discuss and celebrate.
Vetus Ossa

Viviani's frame.

Post by Vetus Ossa »

Did I dream it or did Viviani’s Pinarello frame break in half in a shunt at the end of the first stage of the T.O.B.
If so and I was riding one of those Dogma frames I would be a little concerned. I have not been able to find any pictures of it online, I wonder why?
Beauty will save the world.
RickH

Re: Viviani's frame.

Post by RickH »

It may have been broken but wasn't obviously in two from the limited footage I saw. It appeared to be intact enough for him to intend to ride it, although the footage doesn't show if he actually did . Here are some frame grabs of the crash from ITV's coverage
Viviani 1.JPG

Viviani 2.JPG

Viviani 3.JPG

There's a copy of the video on youtube (link) & the crash coverage is at about 17m 10s.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
Vetus Ossa

Post by Vetus Ossa »

No, it did actually break in half as I remember, the top and seat tube snapped clean off in the middle of the tubes, a mechanic cut the remaining few strands of fibre with scissors to separate the two parts. Wish I had recorded it.
He mast have finished the stage on a spare bike.
RickH

Post by RickH »

I don't know. From the little shown on the ITV coverage (I don't know if there was more elsewhere) he looks at least as though he's considering trying to ride the bike he has just extricated from the crash pile before the footage cuts to Cav slowly riding towards the finish.

Did it give way as he tried to ride it away to the finish?
Vetus Ossa

Post by Vetus Ossa »

Well I hope someone else was watching and can confirm that the frame did actually break in half as I described otherwise am going to think I imagined the whole thing
I can see why there are no pictures and why it wasn’t shown on the reruns, it’s not great publicity for Pinerello is it.
Si

Post by Si »

Yep, the frame was definitely in two halves (ripe for the fitting of some S&S couplings IMO)...I thought he was cutting the brake & gear cables so that he could sever the two bits completely but I may be wrong.
Vetus Ossa

Post by Vetus Ossa »

Thanks for that Si, and you are probably right about the brake cables being cut, it makes more sense.
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

Si wrote:Yep, the frame was definitely in two halves (ripe for the fitting of some S&S couplings IMO)...I thought he was cutting the brake & gear cables so that he could sever the two bits completely but I may be wrong.

Yes, the mechanic snipped the cables and lifted the 2 parts into the car. Downtube and toptube snapped.
Mind you these guys were probably doing best part of 40 MPH when the crash happened.
You'll never know if you don't try it.
Postboxer

Post by Postboxer »

Number 16 is Danny Van Poppel, Viviani is number 11 and is on the bottom of the pile of riders in those pictures. Froome's frame broke on Ventoux in the
Tour de France as well, I suppose they're like F1 cars, strong in the directions they need to be strong in, but not great with abnormal loads applied to them.
RickH

Post by RickH »

Postboxer wrote:Number 16 is Danny Van Poppel, Viviani is number 11 and is on the bottom of the pile of riders in those pictures. Froome's frame broke on Ventoux in the
Tour de France as well, I suppose they're like F1 cars, strong in the directions they need to be strong in, but not great with abnormal loads applied to them.

I stand corrected - I hadn't looked at the race numbers as I hadn't realised that there was more than one Sky rider in the heap at the side of the road!
PaulB

Post by PaulB »

ITV4 had footage of the mechanic cutting the cables to separate the two halves of the frame. I spoke to Viviani in Carlisle and he confirmed what had happened.