Para Olympics

Now we have something / quite-a-lot to discuss and celebrate.
hondated

Para Olympics

Post by hondated »

Obviously congratulations to all the competitors whether they won or lost but can someone please tell me whether its a level playing field for all the competitors. I ask because Dame Storey had another great Olympics and well done to her but I am left wondering whether her particular disability is that debilitating given her event.
Particularly as a blind runner was disqualified until the decision was changed because her assistant helped in her victory.
RickH

Re: Para Olympics

Post by RickH »

There are different categories for each event so Sarah Storey will have been competing against others with a similar level of disability. The same with other sports. The only time competitors with quite different disabilities compete in the same event are ones like the cycling team sprint on the track where the team has to be made up of different types/levels of disability.

The complication with visually impaired events is that the guide is there to keep them going in the right direction, they are not allowed to pull them along. That was what the initial disqualification was for but was changed on appeal, presumably after closer examination of video. Some blind/ visually impaired events even things up by making competitors wear eye masks so no-one can see anything at all.

More info on the different categories can be found on the Paralympics site here.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Taped it all but finding time to watch.
The tennis was good and I would luv to see Murray play that.

I do think that those who excel all the time every time should stand down after a while as they rob others of a only chance of a medal........other Olympics too.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
tyreon

Post by tyreon »

I really don't understand it all,and probably don't have much interest in understanding it all. Can it ever make sense?

Can a 95 year old compete? If not,why not? Age is a disablilty,and comes with a variety of medical issues. Could we have one finishing line where someone starts at the starting line,but one who has more severe disabilities,or has been disadvantaged from training because of lack of ££,time,poor facilities... starts,say,40 metres..from the finishing line.

Can a able bodied person enter a race if s/he puts pebble in their shoe or sits down in a wheelchair race? If I am in a wheelchair race but have two non functioning legs, am I not at a disadvantage from my next competitor who has had his legs removed? Weight issues.

I don't understand the able bodied Olympics. If I'm 6 4" tall and a swimmer,haven't I got a distinct advantage over a swimmer who is 5' 5"? 7' tall in basketball and I just lean over and put the ball in the hoop: no probs.

If I am a competitor from Uganda say,am I not at a disadvantage from one getting professional coaching and lottsa ££ from GB?

I can't see a level playing field.

What's all the chest beating about,flags and such. Why so so, serious? Professional? It says Games on the tin. Where's the fun?

I think I preferred the Corinthian model...if there ever existed that model
hondated

Post by hondated »

Thanks everyone.
Rick that's the answer to what I was asking. My fear was that Sarah was competing against others that may have lost a leg rather than an arm disability.
NA tend to agree with you on that point and also much of what tyreon has written as well.