First Race...

Now we have something / quite-a-lot to discuss and celebrate.
Haye

First Race...

Post by Haye »

Hi Guys,

Im thinking of entering my first race has anybody got any advice?

My biggest concern is riding in a group, im a pretty confident cyclists but have never had the experience of riding in a group.
Spinners

Re: First Race...

Post by Spinners »

Hi and welcome to the forum.

Assuming you mean road racing I'd join a local road club (the British Cycling website will list those clubs nearest to you) and that will get you used to riding in a group and you'll also be able to gauge your fitness against those who actually race. Hope that helps and good luck.
Cycling UK Life Member
PBP Ancien (2007)
rjb

Post by rjb »

You will need to get used to group riding before entering any race or you will cause carnage. Group riding gets you used to riding in close formation, following a wheel, max of 6 inches between without concern. I haven't raced now for many years but you need some training in group riding beforehand. Contact British Cycling and see if they have any group training sessions.
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

As above, you need group riding experience before considering a road race (aka massed start). You also need to be a club member, which logically is where you gain group riding experience. By far the majority will start by riding time trials instead of massed start. This means solo riding a set course against the clock. Again, look at your local clubs for locations etc. These days people might write about entering a "race" when they mean a "sportive" which is not a race, although it is timed and involves group riding.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Post your location and there will be somebody who can tell you what's happening locally, but British Cycling is the body for competitive cycling, not Cycling UK which used to be the Cyclists TOURING Club ie dealing with what might be called social, domestic and pleasure.