Tour de Yorkshire advert

Now we have something / quite-a-lot to discuss and celebrate.
thirdcrank

Re: Tour de Yorkshire advert

Post by thirdcrank »

It's now dawned on me, I think, why Saturday's stage was largely run over such remote roads: if you are running two races on the same day over the same route, there's a limit to what type of road can be closed for the longer period involved.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Understandably perhaps, there's little interest in this bike race on a non-racing forum, but as there's a thread, I'll add this link to a BBC item about extending the event to four days. It seems the BCF has reservations.

In 2016, British Cycling said the race had "great potential" but still had "a bit to do" before a fourth day could be added.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-39778288

I can see that at the international level, it's a crowded calendar and there are only so many pro riders but I'm at a loss to see what the BCF knows about organising a successful international bike race. Over the years, we've had a steady stream of events that never really made the news. Sir G and his team have put pro bike racing into the headlines. OK, OK, a lot of this is on the back of the success of Team Sky, especially in the TdeF and beyond that the track team, especially in the Olympics, but Welcome to Yorkshire has capitalised on that where earlier efforts have largely failed.

If the BCF has a role here it's in saying, "Well done, Sir Gary. Is there anything we can do to help?"

In the meantime, after the previous cock ups when the Worlds were held on UK roads, let's leave it to somebody who knows how to pull the crowds.
geocycle

Post by geocycle »

I tend to agree TC. The TDY is much better promoted up here than the tour of Britain, especially to non cyclists. I can't imagine what more they want. We could even have a prologue starting in Lancashire!