Tour de Yorkshire advert

Now we have something / quite-a-lot to discuss and celebrate.
RickH

Tour de Yorkshire advert

Post by RickH »

I was pointed in the direction of this by a link posted on Chester & North Wales CTC Facebook page. I thought it was worth sharing.

http://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/lates ... ent-324747
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
keyboardmonkey

Re: Tour de Yorkshire advert

Post by keyboardmonkey »

It's certainly worth sharing. In the video Brian is cycling (and supping) in the splendid Yorkshire Wolds. Wise man, that Brian ;-)
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

That has brought a tear or 2 to this big 58 year olds eyes this morning, what a top chap.
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
loch eck steve

Post by loch eck steve »

Excellent stuff , cheers for sharing :D
Si

Post by Si »

"I don't know how they do it"...blimey, I'm sure a lot of people a quarter his age would say the same thing about him and the way he's going up those hills!
gaz

Post by gaz »

Good share, thanks.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

I've only just seen this thread,the advert is a great testament to cycling and what it does for mind,body and spirit.
Great! :D
Or as the young 'un's would say.That's really sick! :mrgreen:
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
geocycle

Post by geocycle »

Yes, nice one! Are those hairpin bends he descends Millington pastures?
keyboardmonkey

Post by keyboardmonkey »

geocycle wrote:Yes, nice one! Are those hairpin bends he descends Millington pastures?

I reckon so, along with Burdale/Thixendale way. Hope to make it out there next weekend. Superb cycling.
geocycle

Post by geocycle »

I'm thinking of cycling to skipton for day 3 which is about the closest point for me this time. Anyone know what might be going on there? Any local events?
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

Brilliant day 3 racing today. Watched it from start to end, which is unusual for me. Excellent finish and well deserved win for ??.
If you haven't seen it then try on catchup.
Could have done with a bit of sunshine but the crowds were enormous. Well done Yorkshire (from a Lankie Lad.) :wink:
You'll never know if you don't try it.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

cycleruk wrote:Brilliant day 3 racing today. Watched it from start to end, which is unusual for me. Excellent finish and well deserved win for ??.
If you haven't seen it then try on catchup.
Could have done with a bit of sunshine but the crowds were enormous. Well done Yorkshire (from a Lankie Lad.) :wink:

I can only agree with that,great racing and today's course was fantastic as good as any Belgium classic :D .

BTW the ladies race yesterday was also fantastic racing too!
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

cycleruk wrote:... Well done Yorkshire (from a Lankie Lad.) ...

Did you notice Ned's commentatorballs? Having corrected Burley "de" Wharfedale he remarked that it was "hard on the boundary of Lancashire." :roll:

Anyway, I'd say well done Sir Gary Verity. His job as head honcho at "Welcome to Yorkshire" formerly the tourist board is to market the county and he's chosen pro bike racing as the medium and what a great job he has done. It could so easily have been "character's" in clogs and cloth caps giving it "sithee" and "Ee bah gum, lad" to a brass band belting out "Where wor ta bahn when ah saw thee" so let's be grateful it isn't.

I watched the telly coverage and left it to record while I walked the couple of miles to Birstall to the nearest bit of the route to Thirdcrank Towers. Marvellous atmosphere with every bit of the route through Birstall packed. I think the point here is that Sir G has got the non-cycling public interested enough to turn out and wait to cheer a fleeting glimpse of a bike race and it wasn't just a one-off for the TdeF. And let's remember he got members of the Royal Family to turn out for that.

I think I'm right in saying that it was Phil Liggett who coined the name "Shibden Wall" for Lee Lane, when he was trying to drum up a bit of excitement in the Kellog's some years ago. I watched it on the telly and with Sean Kelly leading a star-studded field, the crowd was so thin he was able to avoid the cobbles on part of the climb by using the pavement.

I think a big point here is that there are enough testing climbs around here in the easily accessible places without having to search them out. eg The climb at Lofthouse - a focal point of stage two - is an absolute belter but in the absence of parking within miles, the spectators were largely limited to the cyclists. Hats off to those who rode there, but similar events will thrive only if the general public are attracted and accommodated

Finally, all this is building up experience for organising the Worlds in 2019. While Sir G is at the helm, I think we can look forward to something really special.
geocycle

Post by geocycle »

I rode over to Skipton. Great atmosphere made up of non cyclists. As with the tdf it's more of a village fete than a sporting crowd and why not. Good to have the tv coverage as well. Would be good to have another day and maybe a full multiday women's race. Surely it's on a par with the Belgium races now.
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

I don't suffer from the need to be PC. I am not a gender neutral zone.
Could someone explain to me why the Ladies Tour de Yorkshire was not 3 days ???
If they could set off first on day 2 why could they not set off first on day one and day 3 ....
My 7 year old granddaughter jumped on my knee to watch the Ladies race... she was enthralled and so disappointed that there was not another one a day later ....

So Why ???
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.