2017 TdeF (spoilers post-highlights please)

Now we have something / quite-a-lot to discuss and celebrate.
Brucey
Posts: 27134
Joined: 4 Jan 2012, 6:25pm

2017 TdeF (spoilers post-highlights please)

Postby Brucey » 1 Jul 2017, 7:01pm

just seen stage 1. Bit slape out!! New first-time yellow jersey wearer!

Will Froomy prevail this year?

[edit- as suggested upthread, please try to avoid spoilers until ~8pm, i.e. after the ITV4 highlights show broadcast...?]

cheers
Last edited by Brucey on 5 Jul 2017, 10:22am, edited 1 time in total.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

User avatar
cycleruk
Posts: 4543
Joined: 17 Jan 2009, 9:30pm
Location: Lancashire

Re: 2017 TdeF

Postby cycleruk » 1 Jul 2017, 8:00pm

Very open race this year. Shame about Valverde. :cry:
Leave getting old to others.

tatanab
Posts: 3189
Joined: 8 Feb 2007, 12:37pm

Re: 2017 TdeF

Postby tatanab » 2 Jul 2017, 8:03am

Brucey wrote:Bit slape out!!

Translation please. Google shows nothing.

Bonefishblues
Posts: 3101
Joined: 7 Jul 2014, 9:45pm
Location: Near Bicester Oxon

Re: 2017 TdeF

Postby Bonefishblues » 2 Jul 2017, 8:08am

I've just scrolled through the route day-by-day. It's a pig, no rhythm to it at all, a key will be limiting losses on the bad day(s) every rider has.

Postboxer
Posts: 1225
Joined: 24 Jul 2013, 5:19pm

Re: 2017 TdeF

Postby Postboxer » 2 Jul 2017, 8:53am

The previews of the route on TV suggest it's been done to limit Froome's advantage, not many summit finishes, record low levels of time trials and a complete mixed bag, hopefully to encourage new, attacking tactics, as it's not clear where any time gaps will be found so everyone will be trying to find them everywhere, I guess we'll see.

Team Sky have a bit of a dilemma if their team keeps the time gaps it currently has, 12 seconds might prove a valuable lead so they may have to try to keep both riders at the front for as long as possible, especially with the other TT on the penultimate day.

How about having two threads, one with spoilers for people watching live, so we can mention anything, one for people watching highlights, so things can only be mentioned once the ITV highlights have shown it? Is there a later highlights show? Anyone watching on catch-up would have to avoid til they'd caught up, but it would avoid this awkward silence.

Only the 8th Brit to wear yellow, I struggled to name an 8th.

User avatar
Paulatic
Posts: 2570
Joined: 2 Feb 2014, 1:03pm
Location: 55°14′26.07″N 03°23′43.93″W

Re: 2017 TdeF

Postby Paulatic » 2 Jul 2017, 9:15am

tatanab wrote:
Brucey wrote:Bit slape out!!

Translation please. Google shows nothing.

Slape ........ slippy
if you just stand still you can never lose your way

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/2017/03/0 ... ng-gov-uk/

brynpoeth
Posts: 2211
Joined: 30 Nov 2013, 11:26am

Re: 2017 TdeF

Postby brynpoeth » 2 Jul 2017, 9:30am

Postboxer wrote:The previews of the route on TV suggest it's been done to limit Froome's advantage, not many summit finishes, record low levels of time trials and a complete mixed bag, hopefully to encourage new, attacking tactics, as it's not clear where any time gaps will be found so everyone will be trying to find them everywhere, I guess we'll see.

Team Sky have a bit of a dilemma if their team keeps the time gaps it currently has, 12 seconds might prove a valuable lead so they may have to try to keep both riders at the front for as long as possible, especially with the other TT on the penultimate day.

How about having two threads, one with spoilers for people watching live, so we can mention anything, one for people watching highlights, so things can only be mentioned once the ITV highlights have shown it? Is there a later highlights show? Anyone watching on catch-up would have to avoid til they'd caught up, but it would avoid this awkward silence.

Only the 8th Brit to wear yellow, I struggled to name an 8th.


The second Welsh rider to wear the jersey, after Cadel Evans

Do the organisers really try to make the stages suitable for certain riders? One imagines commercial considerations come first, and the towns that want to pay a lot of money to host the stages have to be joined up somehow

I think there should always be a TTT and a long individual time trial, maybe 100 miles
Cycling? Of course, but it's far better on a Gillott

thirdcrank
Posts: 24606
Joined: 9 Jan 2007, 2:44pm

Re: 2017 TdeF

Postby thirdcrank » 2 Jul 2017, 9:35am

brynpoeth wrote: ... Do the organisers really try to make the stages suitable for certain riders? ...


Harrogate 2014?

Long before that and IIRC, prologue TT's were introduced to enable a certain French TT specialist to be in yellow from start to finish.

User avatar
Gattonero
Posts: 2602
Joined: 31 Jan 2016, 1:35pm
Location: London
Contact:

Re: 2017 TdeF

Postby Gattonero » 2 Jul 2017, 10:07pm

That course was ridiculously slippery. Did anyone notice the mechanic (of the Lotto NL-Jumbo) slipping badly while pushing the rider that got up after a crash?

Valverde's crash was quite nasty, this will jeopardize the Movistar's race!
It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best,
since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them.
Thus you remember them as they actually are...

mig
Posts: 1638
Joined: 19 Oct 2011, 9:39pm

Re: 2017 TdeF

Postby mig » 3 Jul 2017, 9:41pm

froome looks far less fit this year than previous ones but i think he will ride himself in (if he stays upright) and come close in the third week.

User avatar
NATURAL ANKLING
Posts: 7662
Joined: 24 Oct 2012, 10:43pm
Location: English Riviera

Re: 2017 TdeF

Postby NATURAL ANKLING » 3 Jul 2017, 10:53pm

Hi,
Following it everyday.
I am a bit annoyed that the corners weren't better protected from those bloody metal railings.

It seems that the spectators are more protected than the riders.

Wouldn't take much to redesign the railings / spectator barriers or some simple padding.

One broken knee cap and another cracked vertebrae.
Priority Is Still 500K In 24......Just Dreaming..............Stay Focused Guys And Keep Sharp.....
You'll Find Me At The Top Of a Hill...............Somewhere

Postboxer
Posts: 1225
Joined: 24 Jul 2013, 5:19pm

Re: 2017 TdeF

Postby Postboxer » 4 Jul 2017, 9:12am

Some corners did have padding I think, it doesn't seem hard to predict what corners people may come to grief on.

It would be great if Thomas and Froome, or anyone really, are only 12 seconds apart going into the final time trial.

What about 'bobblegate'?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cycling/40478007

Sky had the jersey passed as OK before racing in it, though the regulation:-

International Cycling Union (UCI) regulations state that garments must not be adapted in any way beyond their use purely as clothing. The addition of any non-essential element or device to clothing is prohibited.

Kind of suggests it shouldn't have been, as the bobbles don't appear to be an essential element.

mig
Posts: 1638
Joined: 19 Oct 2011, 9:39pm

Re: 2017 TdeF

Postby mig » 4 Jul 2017, 10:34am

what's the state of play with disc brakes being allowed in the the pro peloton / this tour now? i'm totally lost with that now.

User avatar
Paulatic
Posts: 2570
Joined: 2 Feb 2014, 1:03pm
Location: 55°14′26.07″N 03°23′43.93″W

Re: 2017 TdeF

Postby Paulatic » 4 Jul 2017, 11:28am

mig wrote:what's the state of play with disc brakes being allowed in the the pro peloton / this tour now? i'm totally lost with that now.


http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/uci-con ... ad-events/
if you just stand still you can never lose your way

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/2017/03/0 ... ng-gov-uk/

User avatar
NATURAL ANKLING
Posts: 7662
Joined: 24 Oct 2012, 10:43pm
Location: English Riviera

Re: 2017 TdeF

Postby NATURAL ANKLING » 4 Jul 2017, 11:46am

Hi,
Look at the loose coarse gravel on the pavement..................
Just thinking of the comic captions you could add to those faces :)
Attachments
DDv_nvtXoAAJ4Tl_jpg-large-832x447.jpg
http://thecomeback.com/racing/tour-de-france-favorite-chris-froome-crashes-hard-near-end-stage-2.html
Priority Is Still 500K In 24......Just Dreaming..............Stay Focused Guys And Keep Sharp.....
You'll Find Me At The Top Of a Hill...............Somewhere