2017 Vuelta (spoilers post-highlights please)

Now we have something / quite-a-lot to discuss and celebrate.
mjr

Re: 2017 Vuelta (spoilers post-highlights please)

Post by mjr »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Hi,
Wed, a motorcyclist fell off after stalling on a hill ..........camera quickly cut from another bike / car before he unceremoniously fell into gutter..................then later a M/Cycle was in the way being caught.............rider shouted at bike..............nothing unusual then :)

Yeah, the Vuelta seems to be being far too relaxed with its motos again... the Friday afternoon of Grand Tours? :-(
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Contador's into 5th, but reminded by Imlach that Contador is still sticking to his steroid fed cow...............
Took a minute out of Froomey, who miller thought had cracked, Pipa says there is no rule book for froomey :)
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
loch eck steve

Post by loch eck steve »

Well done Chris Froome ! also not forgetting his fantastic team
mjr

Post by mjr »

Froome winning a green jersey. As he said post-race, it's likely to be the only one he ever wins, so you can see why he went for it instead of leaving it to the sprinters - he had warned people there would be no gifts.

Although, that said, did he gift the penultimate stage fairytale ending to Contador?
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Norman H

Post by Norman H »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Hi,
Contador's into 5th, but reminded by Imlach that Contador is still sticking to his steroid fed cow...............
Took a minute out of Froomey, who miller thought had cracked, Pipa says there is no rule book for froomey :)

I can't help feeling that Alberto Contador is too closely associated with the darkest days of the sport's recent past and have uneasy feelings about his recent Vuelta performances.

That said, I wouldn't deny him his moment of glory on the Angrilu the other day. It was a classy performance by any standards and a fitting finale to a remarkable Palmarѐs, Spanish beef notwithstanding. He personifies a rare style of racing which is often lacking in the modern era, with strong teams stifling opposition and everything managed down to the last Watt. I wish him well in his retirement.

Whether or not the darkest days really are in the past, I very much doubt. Perhaps things are a little less dark.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

mjr wrote:Froome winning a green jersey. As he said post-race, it's likely to be the only one he ever wins, so you can see why he went for it instead of leaving it to the sprinters - he had warned people there would be no gifts.

Although, that said, did he gift the penultimate stage fairytale ending to Contador?

If he did gift it then there was no need to make it look like he was trying to catch him. Just made us shout and dislike him and his team more. Perhaps that's what television is about?
All I can say about taking the green jersey at the last minute is 'what a T***'.
To hear Carlton Kirby getting tearful over Froome was doing my head in he wants to get a grip. In fact he wants to rewatch some old tours and listen to Phil Ligget on LA.
As for Bertie's beef well at least that was detected.
I also wonder if F road his bike without sticking his elbows out i might be more benevolent towards him. :P
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
mjr

Post by mjr »

Paulatic wrote:All I can say about taking the green jersey at the last minute is 'what a T***'.

Taking? He had the green jersey since the Sierra de La Pandera stage and defended it successfully.

Paulatic wrote:I also wonder if F road his bike without sticking his elbows out i might be more benevolent towards him. :P

Surely it should give hope that we don't have to be all about form or style except on TTs? ;)
Norman H

Post by Norman H »

Trentin was interviewed after the finish and he seemed to be saying that him winning the stage and Froome the jersey was a fair result. There's also the matter of the €18,000 for the Green jersey prize which I'm sure Froome will be sharing with his team. No one would deny that they've earned it.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

yup I agree. I saw Trentin interviewed as well. Froome has finally got the Vuelta monkey off his back; a very good performance and one that was impossible without the work of his team.

Makes a change from the usual situation on the Vuelta, where there has appeared to be a 'team' of riders attacking him in turns.

Contador rode magnificently but for me he will never escape his murky past.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
Yes Contador getting back to top five was good as he lurked outside ten, I thought he would not come back.
If he knew how close to the podium he would get he might have tried earlier.
Not sure that he was a threat to Froomey until he was up over a minute.
Contadors's stage was a blinder and no doubt will have swelled his retirement fund.
His own country did not worry about a ban IIRC, so he was free to race in his home country soon.

I am assuming while he can win Froomey will push the records and why not, pay must be good at moment.
Postboxer

Post by Postboxer »

Am I right in thinking it would have been easier to keep the green jersey by finishing second on the penultimate stage, rather than just following Woet Poels over the line? It seems it was either something Sky hadn't considered, or they wanted to reward Poels for his excelling riding.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Paulatic wrote:
mjr wrote:Froome winning a green jersey. As he said post-race, it's likely to be the only one he ever wins, so you can see why he went for it instead of leaving it to the sprinters - he had warned people there would be no gifts.

If he did gift it then there was no need to make it look like he was trying to catch him. Just made us shout and dislike him and his team more. Perhaps that's what television is about?
All I can say about taking the green jersey at the last minute is 'what a T***'.
To hear Carlton Kirby getting tearful over Froome was doing my head in he wants to get a grip. In fact he wants to rewatch some old tours and listen to Phil Ligget on LA.
As for Bertie's beef well at least that was detected.
I also wonder if F road his bike without sticking his elbows out i might be more benevolent towards him. :P

They’ve got him now.....stage 18
http://amp.timeinc.net/cyclingweekly/ne ... ssion=true

Previous riders have had a 12 mth ban for the same substance let’s see what happens to a SKY rider.
Stage 18... a day he increased his lead http://www.cyclingnews.com/vuelta-a-esp ... 8/results/
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
mjr

Post by mjr »

The rules on salbutamol have changed over the years. I've taken it occasionally, so I've paid attention when its mentioned. I suspect even double the limit for one day doesn't improve endurance much. It would be interesting to know his levels for the rest of the time tested, presumably every day in red.
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
I think I have read that athlete's do get a type of asthma?
But I guess whatever that it was well thought out and well planned and there will be a good defence ready.
http://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/comme ... ing-223300
Yates type needed a TUE, froomeys don't!
But that means it can be misused.

Have to remember that next time I do a hill climb and start wheezing :)
geocycle

Post by geocycle »

How utterly depressing. If this follows through my brief interest in competitive cycling that began with the 2014 grand depart will be over. I really hoped the sport had moved on.