2017 Vuelta (spoilers post-highlights please)

Now we have something / quite-a-lot to discuss and celebrate.
Paulatic

Re: 2017 Vuelta (spoilers post-highlights please)

Post by Paulatic »

The utility cyclist wrote:So you don't think that that particular day was/could have being nore extreme than all the others, have you actually read the circumstances for that day acknowledged by the rider and others that he was extremely dehydrated more than he'd been before on an extreme days riding were he was taking more of his inhaler but sticking to the max doses allowed?
Basically you're saying Chris Froome is a liar and a cheat, isn't that right? 'Doping' (except it's not) knowing full well he is the most tested and scrutinised athlete in the world.
We already know that high readings (above the limit) can be produced in extremis, but I would like to know how salbutamol is an enhancement over and above a non asthmatic because there's only one debunked reference to it doing so.

[color=#40BF40]i find it hard to believe[/colour
[color=#FF0080]i might be if questioning comes into that category[/colour
My reasoning for the above is I’ve never met him. All I know about him is what I’ve seen on TV. So based on this limited knowledge he’s not someone who has ever come over to me as someone I would trust.
No doubt you can knock holes in my illogical basis but I can’t help feeling as I do. I’m not infallible with my 15 second appraisal but it’s served me well over the years.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

My take (based on hunches and guesses, of course I don't have any better evidence than anyone else here) is it's Cock Up rather than Conspiracy. Given the test clearly showed up the presence of the substance, and in what over-the-limit quantity, it's hardly going to be the deliberate cheater's Weapon of Choice.

Having said that, it was over the limit and that's against the rules.

What I'd have liked to have seen is on discovery of the AAF, Sky put up their hands and say, "Our fault, we said to use this and we got it wrong" (a bit like Orica did with Simon Yates in 2016, see http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/simon-yates-handed-four-month-non-intentional-doping-ban/), hand back the Red Jersey and take whatever sanction they're given, taking full responsibility for the AAF.
But what we got was trying to sweep it under the carpet and hope it could be made to go away, and when it didn't go away a team that set itself up as a paragon of transparency and virtue gets to look like they're not living up to their own standards and that's Not Good.

What with this and Jiffygate and Wiggo's arguably OTT TUEs in 2012 it does increasingly come across that Sky are more interested in the letter of the law than the spirit. Having dismissed MPCC as irrelevant to their super-clean selves, Sky have apparently forgotten how they were setting up to make cycling a Better, Cleaner place, leading by example. I didn't like them on the grounds they were doing the football thing and spending their way to domination, but with this I like them less and will be cheering on Sunweb at the Giro again.

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Pete
Agreed.
There's simply too much of a nasty smell surrounding Sky now to ignore.
Up thread I posted that there's a lot of money in pro sport these days,and that money sorts the men out from the boys.I'll stick with that statement.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden