Chris Froome on Radio4

Now we have something / quite-a-lot to discuss and celebrate.
Tangled Metal

Re: Chris Froome on Radio4

Post by Tangled Metal »

Was Froome's parents British he read only brought up there because his British parents loved and worked there?

Is there really much difference between Millar and Froome on this?

BTW my mum had parents with different nationalities. She held a passport of one up to expiry just before her 21st (the age of majority in that country back then). She could have renewed that passport before turning 21 which would have given her dual citizenship. She didn't so is British. From my point of view I always thought of myself as quarter one nationality and three quarters British. I've never lived in the quarter country but I feel connected to it through my grandfather. If I had the opportunity and could I'd take dual nationality in a heart beat.

My point being that nationality isn't clear cut. Take Giggs for example. Played for England up to a certain age then took welsh nationality for his adult career. Best English left footed footballer of his generation lost to Wales IMHO.

I'm sure in very many other sports there's better examples. IIRC one sport allows your grandparent's nationality to allow you to represent them (Wales and Irish Republic springs to mind but I could be wrong).

Then there's the African distance runner who famously switched to representing Qatar or Bahrain on exchange for millions of dollars and a very good life.

Personally British parents is at least a reasonable basis for nationality. I bet he has always had a British passport too.
mjr

Post by mjr »

Simon E wrote:David Millar was born in Malta and has never lived in Scotland yet he said he was proud to represent Scotland in the commie games. Is he "one of us" for Scottish fans?

The first two sentences of chapter one of "Racing Through the Dark - The fall and rise of David Millar" contradict you: "Even though I was born in Malta - for those who need to know, on 4 January 1977 - I have always though of myself as a Scot. My parents, Gordon and Avril, left the island when I was 11 months old and returned to Scotland." He and his family remained there until 1984.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Simon E

Post by Simon E »

mjr wrote:
Simon E wrote:David Millar was born in Malta and has never lived in Scotland yet he said he was proud to represent Scotland in the commie games. Is he "one of us" for Scottish fans?

The first two sentences of chapter one of "Racing Through the Dark - The fall and rise of David Millar" contradict you: "Even though I was born in Malta - for those who need to know, on 4 January 1977 - I have always though of myself as a Scot. My parents, Gordon and Avril, left the island when I was 11 months old and returned to Scotland." He and his family remained there until 1984.

Well blow me! I've even read his book but don't recall that fact. :oops: Thanks for the correction.
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

Until 1984? Hmmm! An Orwellian date. Made up by the ministry of truth! It's his made up back history. Don't believe it. :wink:
Ben@Forest

Post by Ben@Forest »

Simon E wrote:
landsurfer wrote:David Millar wrote a piece recently that i personally agree with.

If Chris Froome was Kenyan or South African he would be the new Insane Bolt.
But he played the British card, and frankly he's "not one of us".
He doesn't live here, pay taxes here, he only rides here ... sometimes.
His family don't live here.
He should be a world sports star, but by denying his roots by passport he made a grave mistake.
If he had the balls to take up the Kenyan / South African flag again i would only feel the deepest respect for him.
Still think he's a good chap though. Clean Rider.

He didn't "play the British card", he chose to race as British. He says it's because he feels British and that's where his parents came from (though I bet the incompetence and corruption of Kenyan cycling officials may well have helped). So you'll only respect him if he changes nationality? How pathetic. And the "denying his roots" comment is laughable. Perhaps you should ask David Kinja about his roots.

As well as the above Froome states in his own autobiography that part of the reason for cycling for Britain rather than for Kenya was that, had he stayed Kenyan he would be denying other Kenyan riders without both his natural and financial advantages chances to succeed. He recognises that though born in Kenya he was able to outspend other Kenyan hopefuls and his natural talent would allow the Kenyan cycling authority just to point to Froome as an example of how well they were doing when in fact - as has been mentioned earlier - they are at best ineffective and at worst corrupt.