Chris Froome on Radio4

Now we have something / quite-a-lot to discuss and celebrate.
BakfietsUK
Posts: 219
Joined: 4 Jul 2015, 10:35am

Chris Froome on Radio4

Postby BakfietsUK » 11 Sep 2017, 10:47am

Is it me or is my perception right about the attitude demonstrated by Rob Bonnet in his post Vuelta win interview of Chris Froome.

Does RB really need to ask CF about the alleged reputation of Team Sky in the past in an interview meant to publicise CF's massive achievement. Is this relevant? Is it a slant on CF's win? What does it say about the attitude of the BBC to cycling in general?

It seems like the "BBC" via R4 can't mention Cycling without having a dig about doping or the implication of doping. Most references to Cycling on R4 recently seem not to be able to resist associating cycling success with doping. Frequently the only coverage of Cycling on R4 is about doping, or to make an extreme example of someone who made a catastrophic error of judgement.

Am I correct in my perception??

I wonder if RB would have taken up the same attitude with someone like Alex Ferguson about doping in Football after winning the "double", for instance. If he ever has done something like this I would be very happy to hear about it.

Bonefishblues
Posts: 3097
Joined: 7 Jul 2014, 9:45pm
Location: Near Bicester Oxon

Re: Chris Froome on Radio4

Postby Bonefishblues » 11 Sep 2017, 10:53am

Cycling has had an appalling past v-a-v doping. Contador retired only yesterday. The BW stuff wasn't exactly handled well by SKY, was it? Professional cycling's still in rehab, so yes I think it will be answering questions like this for some time yet.

Brucey
Posts: 27128
Joined: 4 Jan 2012, 6:25pm

Re: Chris Froome on Radio4

Postby Brucey » 18 Sep 2017, 9:42pm

it is all a question of balance and how the interview is edited (if it isn't live). An interview with no mention of doping in cycling at all would have been very weak in journalistic terms, bearing in mind that Froome was competing against several past proven drug cheats.

On the other hand R4 journalists are arguably more interested in their own careers than anything else, so will aim to do as 'hard hitting' (aka muck raking) interview as possible even when the circumstances don't really warrant it. Not that I want them to tug their forelocks per se, but maybe the pendulum has swung too far the other way. Anyone in public life is as likely to be subject to a character assassination on R4 as a fair and balanced interview these days.

A better comparison would be interviewing Fergy following a successful season and then turning the subject to corruption in football; the implication would be clear, i.e. that any success would be associated with that rather than anything else. IIRC Fergy actually got so pissed off with the BBC reporters that he banned them from his press conferences.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

roger
Posts: 71
Joined: 5 Jan 2007, 2:14pm

Re: Chris Froome on Radio4

Postby roger » 21 Sep 2017, 9:19pm

CF rides for Sky. Sky and the Beeb do broadcasting type things.

Perhaps there is a commercial rivalry, together with a forthcoming (ongoing) investigation into the takeover of Sky creating a monopoly.

Roger.

Bonefishblues
Posts: 3097
Joined: 7 Jul 2014, 9:45pm
Location: Near Bicester Oxon

Re: Chris Froome on Radio4

Postby Bonefishblues » 21 Sep 2017, 9:45pm

I do like a good conspiracy theory, but not sure that's one :)

The utility cyclist
Posts: 816
Joined: 22 Aug 2016, 12:28pm

Re: Chris Froome on Radio4

Postby The utility cyclist » 10 Oct 2017, 3:33pm

The BBC don't/didn't treat Mohammed Farah in anything like the disresepctful way they do Christopher Froome, given athletics shady history and Mohammed's coach, Alberto Salazar being strongly implicated in doping (and doing training with coach Jama Aden who was arrested on a doping raid last year) it's clear they are bias.
They even attacked Russian/US athletes for doping at the last two olympic games and mention it all the time (Steve Cram and others are at the forefront of this) and yet in the same breath don't/won't mention or make as big a song and dance over other athletes, for instance when the Jamaican's were in races, particularly a couple of the bigger names. Would that have being because two of the lead presenters had allegiances to that country?

The BBC are simply bias, they attack or big up whatever is in their best interests as a business and whatever agenda the government wants them to push.

Bonefishblues
Posts: 3097
Joined: 7 Jul 2014, 9:45pm
Location: Near Bicester Oxon

Re: Chris Froome on Radio4

Postby Bonefishblues » 10 Oct 2017, 6:42pm

The utility cyclist wrote:The BBC don't/didn't treat Mohammed Farah in anything like the disresepctful way they do Christopher Froome, given athletics shady history and Mohammed's coach, Alberto Salazar being strongly implicated in doping (and doing training with coach Jama Aden who was arrested on a doping raid last year) it's clear they are bias.

Has Slazar been "convicted" of anything thus far? He's still operating as an athletic trainer, isn't he? I've seen plenty of discussion about this issue - i.e. Farah and his links with Salazar, including on the BBC. How is Froome being treated differently? The fact is that if you pass the tests and you win, then you are a winner - at least until future more sophisticated testing says you cheated. Slim grounds to accuse the BBC of bias.

The utility cyclist wrote:They even attacked Russian/US athletes for doping at the last two olympic games and mention it all the time (Steve Cram and others are at the forefront of this) and yet in the same breath don't/won't mention or make as big a song and dance over other athletes, for instance when the Jamaican's were in races, particularly a couple of the bigger names. Would that have being because two of the lead presenters had allegiances to that country?

er, you mean nations where literally dozens of their cometitors have been proven to have cheated and therefore disqualified, and where a whole nation in the case of Russia was excluded from competition by many governing bodies due to endemic doping (IOC having "bottled" the decision IMHO). It would be odder if it wasn't discussed, wouldn't you say?
Who has allegiance to Jamaica out of interest, such that you say that discussion was supressed?

The utility cyclist wrote:The BBC are simply bias, they attack or big up whatever is in their best interests as a business and whatever agenda the government wants them to push.

I don't agree on this - not on the basis of your presented evidence, anyway.

The utility cyclist
Posts: 816
Joined: 22 Aug 2016, 12:28pm

Re: Chris Froome on Radio4

Postby The utility cyclist » 10 Oct 2017, 9:56pm

Bonefishblues wrote:
The utility cyclist wrote:The BBC don't/didn't treat Mohammed Farah in anything like the disresepctful way they do Christopher Froome, given athletics shady history and Mohammed's coach, Alberto Salazar being strongly implicated in doping (and doing training with coach Jama Aden who was arrested on a doping raid last year) it's clear they are bias.

Has Slazar been "convicted" of anything thus far? He's still operating as an athletic trainer, isn't he? I've seen plenty of discussion about this issue - i.e. Farah and his links with Salazar, including on the BBC. How is Froome being treated differently? The fact is that if you pass the tests and you win, then you are a winner - at least until future more sophisticated testing says you cheated. Slim grounds to accuse the BBC of bias.

The utility cyclist wrote:They even attacked Russian/US athletes for doping at the last two olympic games and mention it all the time (Steve Cram and others are at the forefront of this) and yet in the same breath don't/won't mention or make as big a song and dance over other athletes, for instance when the Jamaican's were in races, particularly a couple of the bigger names. Would that have being because two of the lead presenters had allegiances to that country?

er, you mean nations where literally dozens of their cometitors have been proven to have cheated and therefore disqualified, and where a whole nation in the case of Russia was excluded from competition by many governing bodies due to endemic doping (IOC having "bottled" the decision IMHO). It would be odder if it wasn't discussed, wouldn't you say?
Who has allegiance to Jamaica out of interest, such that you say that discussion was supressed?

The utility cyclist wrote:The BBC are simply bias, they attack or big up whatever is in their best interests as a business and whatever agenda the government wants them to push.

I don't agree on this - not on the basis of your presented evidence, anyway.

IMPLICATED, what bit of that don't you understand? there is/was a LOT of evidence AND individuals who stated categorically what was going on but clearly no-one really wants to delve too far. I see you also don't deny that one of Mohammed Farah's training coaches was raided for drugs only recently?
Froome is being treated differently by the BBC because they are all over him like a rash on the back of circumstantial evidence, the same circumstantial evidence (in fact less so) than that for MF. They attack/mention far more regarding drugs for CF than they have ever done for MH, why is that if it's not bias/agenda?

Er, the BBC commentators/BBC as a whole totally glossed over the fact that Jamaica have/had a shocking doping control regimen, to the point that they were on the verge of exclusion from Rio last year, bet you didn't know that did you! Also Jamaica had a high % of their top stars actually being caught, was any of this mentioned or made high profile by the BBC like they did Russia, no they didn't, why was that?

The evidence that you're ignoring because you're not able to look at the evidence or just simply reject it despite being clear and very obvious!

landsurfer
Posts: 3116
Joined: 27 Oct 2012, 9:13pm
Location: Rotherham

Re: Chris Froome on Radio4

Postby landsurfer » 10 Oct 2017, 10:07pm

David Millar wrote a piece recently that i personally agree with.

If Chris Froome was Kenyan or South African he would be the new Insane Bolt.
But he played the British card, and frankly he's "not one of us".
He doesn't live here, pay taxes here, he only rides here ... sometimes.
His family don't live here.
He should be a world sports star, but by denying his roots by passport he made a grave mistake.
If he had the balls to take up the Kenyan / South African flag again i would only feel the deepest respect for him.
Still think he's a good chap though. Clean Rider.
Rule #5 is my mentor.
"May the road rise with you" PIL.

User avatar
NATURAL ANKLING
Posts: 7660
Joined: 24 Oct 2012, 10:43pm
Location: English Riviera

Re: Chris Froome on Radio4

Postby NATURAL ANKLING » 10 Oct 2017, 10:23pm

Hi,
Alberto Salazar is on record IIRC saying that he doped his sons with EPO for an experiment.....................
If Beryl Burton was French she would be more famous than Joan of arc..................

Mo does not live here either and was not born british but seem to have by the BBC been idolised by even Cram..............."he's a one man world beating machine" IIRC

I agree Froomee is a genuine sort of guy, my gut instinct.
Last edited by NATURAL ANKLING on 10 Oct 2017, 10:29pm, edited 1 time in total.
Priority Is Still 500K In 24......Just Dreaming..............Stay Focused Guys And Keep Sharp.....
You'll Find Me At The Top Of a Hill...............Somewhere

Bonefishblues
Posts: 3097
Joined: 7 Jul 2014, 9:45pm
Location: Near Bicester Oxon

Re: Chris Froome on Radio4

Postby Bonefishblues » 10 Oct 2017, 10:26pm

@UC

"Nobody wants to delve too far" - yet there are people with evidence you say? What's your evidence for same? If this is a cover-up, then it's a monumental one.
As for the BBC not covering Farah and Salazar:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/athletics/39093398
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/athletics/39095377
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/athletics/39156296
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/athletics/40534326
...and many, many others available on the most cursory search. Remember also that it was BBC's Panorama that broke the story in 2015. Strange actions for a bias [sic] organsiation.

Why am I being asked to deny something that hasn't been raised? What else would you like me to deny? That's a rather odd approach - it's you asserting things, not me.

Froome has the misfortune to ply his trade in what has demonstrably been the most doped provessional sport (cf my first post in thread). It's rather unsurprising he should be asked about such matters IMHO, especially with the Wiggins cloud still on the horizon. It's what journalists do - what they are paid to do, irrecspective of the medium. Froome gets a minute fraction of the coverage that Farah has done, I'd suggest - nobody's "all over him like a rash" - not least because he's crushingly dull in interview.

Glossed over: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/athletics/24905617
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/athletics/25062310
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/athletics/24517780
...and many, many others available on the most cursory search.

Who are the people with Jamaican allegiances who suppressed coverage, please?

I think you are viewing things through a window of your own construct, and construing things accordingly, then resorting to insult and bluster when called on it. Play the ball, not the man is always a good maxim.

Simon E
Posts: 13
Joined: 20 Oct 2008, 2:58pm

Re: Chris Froome on Radio4

Postby Simon E » 11 Oct 2017, 2:29pm

landsurfer wrote:David Millar wrote a piece recently that i personally agree with.

If Chris Froome was Kenyan or South African he would be the new Insane Bolt.
But he played the British card, and frankly he's "not one of us".
He doesn't live here, pay taxes here, he only rides here ... sometimes.
His family don't live here.
He should be a world sports star, but by denying his roots by passport he made a grave mistake.
If he had the balls to take up the Kenyan / South African flag again i would only feel the deepest respect for him.
Still think he's a good chap though. Clean Rider.

He didn't "play the British card", he chose to race as British. He says it's because he feels British and that's where his parents came from (though I bet the incompetence and corruption of Kenyan cycling officials may well have helped). So you'll only respect him if he changes nationality? How pathetic. And the "denying his roots" comment is laughable. Perhaps you should ask David Kinja about his roots.

David Millar was born in Malta and has never lived in Scotland yet he said he was proud to represent Scotland in the commie games. Is he "one of us" for Scottish fans?

Dan Martin was born and brought up in Birmingham and now lives in Andorra. His mum is Irish, his dad is British and in 2006 he chose to race for Ireland. As far as I'm concerned he's a great character and I'll always think of him as a Brummie, regardless of what country he chooses as his nationality for competition.

Charly Wegelius was born in Finland but was described as a British rider as a professional. Do you think he derided and shunned in Finland as some kind of sporting mongrel?

landsurfer
Posts: 3116
Joined: 27 Oct 2012, 9:13pm
Location: Rotherham

Re: Chris Froome on Radio4

Postby landsurfer » 11 Oct 2017, 2:39pm

Simon E wrote:
landsurfer wrote:David Millar wrote a piece recently that i personally agree with.

If Chris Froome was Kenyan or South African he would be the new Insane Bolt.
But he played the British card, and frankly he's "not one of us".
He doesn't live here, pay taxes here, he only rides here ... sometimes.
His family don't live here.
He should be a world sports star, but by denying his roots by passport he made a grave mistake.
If he had the balls to take up the Kenyan / South African flag again i would only feel the deepest respect for him.
Still think he's a good chap though. Clean Rider.

He didn't "play the British card", he chose to race as British. He says it's because he feels British and that's where his parents came from (though I bet the incompetence and corruption of Kenyan cycling officials may well have helped). So you'll only respect him if he changes nationality? How pathetic. And the "denying his roots" comment is laughable. Perhaps you should ask David Kinja about his roots.

David Millar was born in Malta and has never lived in Scotland yet he said he was proud to represent Scotland in the commie games. Is he "one of us" for Scottish fans?

Dan Martin was born and brought up in Birmingham and now lives in Andorra. His mum is Irish, his dad is British and in 2006 he chose to race for Ireland. As far as I'm concerned he's a great character and I'll always think of him as a Brummie, regardless of what country he chooses as his nationality for competition.

Charly Wegelius was born in Finland but was described as a British rider as a professional. Do you think he derided and shunned in Finland as some kind of sporting mongrel?


Have you ever considered anger management Simon ?
Rule #5 is my mentor.
"May the road rise with you" PIL.

Tangled Metal
Posts: 2918
Joined: 13 Feb 2015, 8:32pm

Re: Chris Froome on Radio4

Postby Tangled Metal » 11 Oct 2017, 4:07pm

landsurfer wrote:
Simon E wrote:
landsurfer wrote:David Millar wrote a piece recently that i personally agree with.

If Chris Froome was Kenyan or South African he would be the new Insane Bolt.
But he played the British card, and frankly he's "not one of us".
He doesn't live here, pay taxes here, he only rides here ... sometimes.
His family don't live here.
He should be a world sports star, but by denying his roots by passport he made a grave mistake.
If he had the balls to take up the Kenyan / South African flag again i would only feel the deepest respect for him.
Still think he's a good chap though. Clean Rider.

He didn't "play the British card", he chose to race as British. He says it's because he feels British and that's where his parents came from (though I bet the incompetence and corruption of Kenyan cycling officials may well have helped). So you'll only respect him if he changes nationality? How pathetic. And the "denying his roots" comment is laughable. Perhaps you should ask David Kinja about his roots.

David Millar was born in Malta and has never lived in Scotland yet he said he was proud to represent Scotland in the commie games. Is he "one of us" for Scottish fans?

Dan Martin was born and brought up in Birmingham and now lives in Andorra. His mum is Irish, his dad is British and in 2006 he chose to race for Ireland. As far as I'm concerned he's a great character and I'll always think of him as a Brummie, regardless of what country he chooses as his nationality for competition.

Charly Wegelius was born in Finland but was described as a British rider as a professional. Do you think he derided and shunned in Finland as some kind of sporting mongrel?


Have you ever considered anger management Simon ?

Sorry but I didn't get anger from that post. For clarity which part suggests anger to you?

Toffee
Posts: 74
Joined: 2 Sep 2014, 9:28pm

Re: Chris Froome on Radio4

Postby Toffee » 11 Oct 2017, 4:12pm

Simon E wrote:David Millar was born in Malta and has never lived in Scotland yet he said he was proud to represent Scotland in the commie games. Is he "one of us" for Scottish fans?


Think you'll find both his parents are Scottish and he was only born in Malta as his father was in the RAF. They then moved to RAF Kinross which I am sure is in Scotland :D :D