Goodbye then .. Chris Froome

Now we have something / quite-a-lot to discuss and celebrate.
ChrisButch

Re: Goodbye then .. Chris Froome

Post by ChrisButch »

It's been entertaining scanning the online comments in L'Equipe and Le Monde following yesterday's news. The next three weeks are going to be quite a security headache for the French.
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
On posts.
We quote by including text others have posted but we should limit it to that when replying and not sink to personal comments just write your opinion / counter argument.

It very obvious when quoting text where opinions and arguments come from and directed to.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

ChrisButch wrote:It's been entertaining scanning the online comments in L'Equipe and Le Monde following yesterday's news. The next three weeks are going to be quite a security headache for the French.

TdF security boss on the radio this morning said he didn't anticipate any incidents but he couldn't stop people expressing their opinions.

Trouble is, being officially suspected of doping is like being suspected of kiddie-fiddling: you can be completely innocent and be shown to be innocent, but there'll be plenty of people who enjoy making your life hell too much to let up.
Have we got time for another cuppa?
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

A comment posted on L'Équipe website:

tourdeyorkshire - 15h12
Froomey est innocent. GB is going to give France another cycling lesson
(Could be a line from a new PG Tips advert.)
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

Audax67 wrote:
ChrisButch wrote:It's been entertaining scanning the online comments in L'Equipe and Le Monde following yesterday's news. The next three weeks are going to be quite a security headache for the French.

TdF security boss on the radio this morning said he didn't anticipate any incidents but he couldn't stop people expressing their opinions.

Trouble is, being officially suspected of doping is like being suspected of kiddie-fiddling: you can be completely innocent and be shown to be innocent, but there'll be plenty of people who enjoy making your life hell too much to let up.

quite so. The French were not that keen on him before, and now it will be less so.

It must be galling for the French that no French rider has won the TdeF for decades, and that many of those that 'won' have subsequently been proven drug cheats, but then again it is not as if the local riders have any better track record in this regard, either....

If/when France go out of the world cup footie, expect more of the wrong type of attention to fall on Froome...

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Brucey wrote:
Audax67 wrote:

quite so. The French were not that keen on him before, and now it will be less so.

It must be galling for the French that no French rider has won the TdeF for decades, and that many of those that 'won' have subsequently been proven drug cheats, but then again it is not as if the local riders have any better track record in this regard, either....

If/when France go out of the world cup footie, expect more of the wrong type of attention to fall on Froome...

cheers

Particularly if England(I should coco) knock France out :shock:
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

The only way to knock them out is in the final itself.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Bonefishblues wrote:The only way to knock them out is in the final itself.

Sorry forgot :oops:
W H Auden
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Wouldn't decrease the pleasure one iota though, would it?
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Bonefishblues wrote:Wouldn't decrease the pleasure one iota though, would it?

Nope :)
W H Auden
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

What's the French for schadenfreude?
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Bonefishblues wrote:What's the French for schadenfreude?

Choucroute. :oops: Sorry that's sauerkraut (which isn't a German disappointed at the World Cup.)

I've looked this up in my encyclopaedic but ageing Harrop English/French dictionary and it offers "masochisme" which cannot be right.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

thirdcrank wrote:
Bonefishblues wrote:What's the French for schadenfreude?

Choucroute. :oops: Sorry that's sauerkraut (which isn't a German disappointed at the World Cup.)

I've looked this up in my encyclopaedic but ageing Harrop English/French dictionary and it offers "masochisme" which cannot be right.

My dictionary suggests that the French use schadenfreude, but 'joie maligne/malsaine' is an alternative.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

My Dad's Army dictionary translates it as "they don't like it up'em Mr Mannering" so "don't panic" :mrgreen:
Last edited by reohn2 on 4 Jul 2018, 2:48pm, edited 1 time in total.
W H Auden
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I presume that we use the German expression because there's no exact equivalent and it's probably the same in French. I thought about it and decided "gloat" might be a good English word but it's ambiguous. I've looked at my wife's Duden German/ English dictionary, same ancient vintage as my Harrop and it offers "gloat." I can't think of a French word which conveys this meaning. (I don't claim that's definitive.)