Goodbye then .. Chris Froome

Now we have something / quite-a-lot to discuss and celebrate.
ChrisButch

Re: Goodbye then .. Chris Froome

Postby ChrisButch » 3 Jul 2018, 8:30am

It's been entertaining scanning the online comments in L'Equipe and Le Monde following yesterday's news. The next three weeks are going to be quite a security headache for the French.

NATURAL ANKLING

Postby NATURAL ANKLING » 3 Jul 2018, 10:28am

Hi,
On posts.
We quote by including text others have posted but we should limit it to that when replying and not sink to personal comments just write your opinion / counter argument.

It very obvious when quoting text where opinions and arguments come from and directed to.
Priority Is Still 500K In 24..Just Dreaming...Stay Focused Guys And Keep Sharp...
You'll Find Me At The Top Of A Hill...............Somewhere...After Dark..

Audax67

Postby Audax67 » 3 Jul 2018, 11:04am

ChrisButch wrote:It's been entertaining scanning the online comments in L'Equipe and Le Monde following yesterday's news. The next three weeks are going to be quite a security headache for the French.

TdF security boss on the radio this morning said he didn't anticipate any incidents but he couldn't stop people expressing their opinions.

Trouble is, being officially suspected of doping is like being suspected of kiddie-fiddling: you can be completely innocent and be shown to be innocent, but there'll be plenty of people who enjoy making your life hell too much to let up.
Have we got time for another cuppa?

thirdcrank

Postby thirdcrank » 3 Jul 2018, 7:52pm

A comment posted on L'Équipe website:

tourdeyorkshire - 15h12
Froomey est innocent. GB is going to give France another cycling lesson
(Could be a line from a new PG Tips advert.)

Brucey

Postby Brucey » 4 Jul 2018, 10:33am

Audax67 wrote:
ChrisButch wrote:It's been entertaining scanning the online comments in L'Equipe and Le Monde following yesterday's news. The next three weeks are going to be quite a security headache for the French.

TdF security boss on the radio this morning said he didn't anticipate any incidents but he couldn't stop people expressing their opinions.

Trouble is, being officially suspected of doping is like being suspected of kiddie-fiddling: you can be completely innocent and be shown to be innocent, but there'll be plenty of people who enjoy making your life hell too much to let up.

quite so. The French were not that keen on him before, and now it will be less so.

It must be galling for the French that no French rider has won the TdeF for decades, and that many of those that 'won' have subsequently been proven drug cheats, but then again it is not as if the local riders have any better track record in this regard, either....

If/when France go out of the world cup footie, expect more of the wrong type of attention to fall on Froome...

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

reohn2

Postby reohn2 » 4 Jul 2018, 11:11am

Brucey wrote:
Audax67 wrote:

quite so. The French were not that keen on him before, and now it will be less so.

It must be galling for the French that no French rider has won the TdeF for decades, and that many of those that 'won' have subsequently been proven drug cheats, but then again it is not as if the local riders have any better track record in this regard, either....

If/when France go out of the world cup footie, expect more of the wrong type of attention to fall on Froome...

cheers

Particularly if England(I should coco) knock France out :shock:
-----------------------------------------------------------
I cycle therefore I am.

Bonefishblues

Postby Bonefishblues » 4 Jul 2018, 11:39am

The only way to knock them out is in the final itself.

reohn2

Postby reohn2 » 4 Jul 2018, 12:13pm

Bonefishblues wrote:The only way to knock them out is in the final itself.

Sorry forgot :oops:
I cycle therefore I am.

Bonefishblues

Postby Bonefishblues » 4 Jul 2018, 12:29pm

Wouldn't decrease the pleasure one iota though, would it?

reohn2

Postby reohn2 » 4 Jul 2018, 2:03pm

Bonefishblues wrote:Wouldn't decrease the pleasure one iota though, would it?

Nope :)
I cycle therefore I am.

Bonefishblues

Postby Bonefishblues » 4 Jul 2018, 2:08pm

What's the French for schadenfreude?

thirdcrank

Postby thirdcrank » 4 Jul 2018, 2:28pm

Bonefishblues wrote:What's the French for schadenfreude?

Choucroute. :oops: Sorry that's sauerkraut (which isn't a German disappointed at the World Cup.)

I've looked this up in my encyclopaedic but ageing Harrop English/French dictionary and it offers "masochisme" which cannot be right.

Vorpal

Postby Vorpal » 4 Jul 2018, 2:39pm

thirdcrank wrote:
Bonefishblues wrote:What's the French for schadenfreude?

Choucroute. :oops: Sorry that's sauerkraut (which isn't a German disappointed at the World Cup.)

I've looked this up in my encyclopaedic but ageing Harrop English/French dictionary and it offers "masochisme" which cannot be right.

My dictionary suggests that the French use schadenfreude, but 'joie maligne/malsaine' is an alternative.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom

reohn2

Postby reohn2 » 4 Jul 2018, 2:46pm

My Dad's Army dictionary translates it as "they don't like it up'em Mr Mannering" so "don't panic" :mrgreen:
Last edited by reohn2 on 4 Jul 2018, 2:48pm, edited 1 time in total.
I cycle therefore I am.

thirdcrank

Postby thirdcrank » 4 Jul 2018, 2:47pm

I presume that we use the German expression because there's no exact equivalent and it's probably the same in French. I thought about it and decided "gloat" might be a good English word but it's ambiguous. I've looked at my wife's Duden German/ English dictionary, same ancient vintage as my Harrop and it offers "gloat." I can't think of a French word which conveys this meaning. (I don't claim that's definitive.)