Giro d'Italia

Now we have something / quite-a-lot to discuss and celebrate.
reohn2

Re: Giro d'Italia

Post by reohn2 »

NA,
Pro riders at the top of their game I'm sure look at all the possibilities for getting the most power out of themselves efficiently and sustainably,along with kit,nutrition,riding position,etc,etc,gearing and cadence is a significant part of that.
What suits one rider will not suit another.Froome pedals a high cadence,flat footed and ankles,sat in the saddle twiddling is his style.It's what suits his optimum power output.
Contrast that with Tony Martin who pedals toes down and a slower as it suits his physiology and style.
It's all a very individual choice/style for optimum and sustainable power output,we're all different to a greater or lesser extent it's what suits the individual.
In the past pro riders didn't have the choice of gearing they do today,smallest gears prior to the early 90's(?) was about 41/42x26,watching Merckx,Hinault,Robert Millar,etc climb in the saddle was like watching purgatory compared with the lower gearing styles available today.Froome climbed the Zoncolan on 34x32.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

thirdcrank wrote:
pjclinch wrote:My wife is a Cloggie and says his comments lose a lot of resigned humour in translation. He seems rather happier in Dutch on NOS than he does in English on Cycling News.

Most European riders seem to have admirable English and better than some native speakers, but there's only so many ways to praise team mates.

I suspect we're at cross purposes to some degree. You get to see some quotes that are given to domestic news outlets (in TD's case NOS) in native tongue that are then translated in to English and recirculated in anglophone media, and that's where there's some loss in translation. There's also coming from a TV interview, with facial and body language, in to dry text, so two levels of not-quite-what-he-meant.

For TD's interviews to anglophone media he's stereotypically Dutch (i.e., taller than us and his English is better).

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
mjr

Post by mjr »

Postboxer wrote:I've just been trying to find the start times for the time trial on Tuesday, as Yates leads by 2 minutes 11 seconds so a 2 minute start deficit would be interesting.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/giro-di ... art-times/ but most set off at minute intervals and then the top 15 set off three minutes apart in reverse position order so Dumoulin will be ahead of Yates on the road anyway.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
pwa

Post by pwa »

reohn2 wrote:NA,
Pro riders at the top of their game I'm sure look at all the possibilities for getting the most power out of themselves efficiently and sustainably,along with kit,nutrition,riding position,etc,etc,gearing and cadence is a significant part of that.
What suits one rider will not suit another.Froome pedals a high cadence,flat footed and ankles,sat in the saddle twiddling is his style.It's what suits his optimum power output.
Contrast that with Tony Martin who pedals toes down and a slower as it suits his physiology and style.
It's all a very individual choice/style for optimum and sustainable power output,we're all different to a greater or lesser extent it's what suits the individual.
In the past pro riders didn't have the choice of gearing they do today,smallest gears prior to the early 90's(?) was about 41/42x26,watching Merckx,Hinault,Robert Millar,etc climb in the saddle was like watching purgatory compared with the lower gearing styles available today.Froome climbed the Zoncolan on 34x32.

Froome using 34x32 for racing shows how inadequate that ratio is on a loaded touring bike, something you sometimes see.
Postboxer

Post by Postboxer »

After continually getting accidental spoilers by seeing the results on Facebook or other websites, and sometimes not having the patience to wait to watch the highlights, I've only just realised I could have signed up for a 7 day trial of Eurosport, so I've got the benefit of that til the end of the race. I think I can cancel it right away and keep watching for the rest of the week too.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

pwa wrote:Froome using 34x32 for racing shows how inadequate that ratio is on a loaded touring bike, something you sometimes see.

I can't argue with that :wink:
W H Auden
Postboxer

Post by Postboxer »

I hope Yates goes on to win it, but part of me hopes that they don't make it easy for him, either that or that he carries on pulling away from them further.

Will anyone go for it in an all or nothing way? Froome maybe, back in 4th, if he can.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Postboxer wrote:I hope Yates goes on to win it, but part of me hopes that they don't make it easy for him, either that or that he carries on pulling away from them further.

Will anyone go for it in an all or nothing way? Froome maybe, back in 4th, if he can.

The next two mountain stages and particularly the Cima Coppie climb stage 9km of which is on gravel will sort out who has sustained over the past 2 1/2 weeks.
It's not over until it's over but my money's on Yates to win,fingers crossed.
W H Auden
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Yates looks good. (1ST & 2ND)
Froomey is fighting but not on his usual form (poss 3RD)
Doumolin (2ND & 1ST)

On yesterdays TT, Froomey and Doumolin looked similar, Yates where we expected, maybe a little better.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

starting to believe that Yates might do it now, but there is many slip betwixt cup and lip.....

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Brucey wrote:starting to believe that Yates might do it now, but there is many slip betwixt cup and lip.....

cheers

Agreed he's looked the strongest and most wiley,Tom's close but not too close.I my rear for Yates is him crashing and I'm hoping he's learned his lessons over the past couple of years.
The class Lancashire Lad needs to be careful now.
W H Auden
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

Fingers crossed he doesn't "do a Kruiswijk" :(
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
djnotts

Post by djnotts »

After today's time loss, I don't think SY will make it all the way in Pink. Shame.
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Even more to play for.
42 k / hour had its toll over the first 100 miles.
Still possible two brits on the podium.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Postboxer

Post by Postboxer »

I think maybe today's stage suits Simon Yates a bit better than yesterday's did. As long as he gets to the final climb with the other GC contenders I hope he'll be ok, he'll need his team though. He didn't look like he was really struggling at the end yesterday, I don't know if his tactic was to not push too hard and accept losses yesterday and be in better shape today, maybe he pushed a bit too hard covering Dumoulin's attack and wasn't expecting Froome to still be there to attack straight after. I hope the descents aren't too technical today, it could get dangerous.