Tour de Yorkshire (spoliers after highlights show please)

Now we have something / quite-a-lot to discuss and celebrate.
Brucey

Tour de Yorkshire (spoliers after highlights show please)

Post by Brucey »

Seems like they are doing a reasonable job on the whole, despite everything (no spoilers, but see today's comedy of errors.... :roll: ).

One irritation; one of the commentators has repeatedly referred to the current resurrection of the Holdsworth bicycle marque as being 'a revival of a great Yorkshire brand'. What a moron; maybe he is thinking of the Holdsworth textile business or something; Holdsworth cycles were always in London.... :roll:

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
keyboardmonkey

Re: Tour de Yorkshire (spoliers after highlights show please)

Post by keyboardmonkey »

Brucey wrote:...One irritation; one of the commentators has repeatedly referred to the current resurrection of the Holdsworth bicycle marque as being 'a revival of a great Yorkshire brand'. What a moron; maybe he is thinking of the Holdsworth textile business or something; Holdsworth cycles were always in London.... :roll:

cheers

Seems it’s catching: road.cc has moved Preston in to Yorkshire...
http://road.cc/content/tech-news/241327 ... talia-r872
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

10/10 to Sir Gary Verity of the Welcome to Yorkshire tourist board for continuing to use really well-organised bike races to showcase the county as a holiday destination. Excellent weather this year was a big plus. We now have the World's to look forward to for next year. In an interview on local tv news with Sir G, there was a hint the Vuelta might start here at some point.

Yet again, fantastic crowds which is one of the things sponsors need to see.

Re the inaccurate Yorkshire attributions, that's the fault of people who have not done their homework. The earliest example I remember of this was Nottinghamshire-born Tommy Simpson being accorded honorary dour Yorkshireman status by Fleet Street.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Simpson was smart, he was from Nottinghamshire AND Yorkshire :wink:
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
julianm

Post by julianm »

It was a great race in fantastic scenery with such enthusiastic support. A little different to the opening stages of the Giro ridden on motorways in a desolate wasteland.
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

Watched the TdY :wink: instead of the Giro. Much more interesting and what a race today.
Don't like all this continental jargon though - "Cote de Hebdon Bridge" or "Cote de Park Rash" - you've got to be kidding. :x
But what a stage today and very well done to the stage winner. King of the Mountains jersey and deserved it.
Most of the time though I had no idea where the other groups were except how far the Cofidis lad was in front of the Blue jersey.

What a turnout of people to watch and very creditable.
Mind I suppose it would be as it's free and in Yorkshire. :mrgreen:

Oh well! I suppose I will have to watch the Giro now that Yorkshire's over.
You'll never know if you don't try it.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

The timing of the gaps could have been much better, especially as the time between the lead rider and the blue jersey was a bit academic. We had a clear shot of the blackboard shortly after the leader had passed the intermediate sprint at the top of Arthington Bank (1'40" IIRC) and that was a welcome bit of info.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Here’s a bit they didn’t televise...
https://mobile.twitter.com/nathlukecurr ... 96/video/1
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

This has been a truly great 4 day race.When the sun shines Yorkshire is shown in all it's glory,and the parcours was great :D
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Paulatic wrote:Here’s a bit they didn’t televise...
https://mobile.twitter.com/nathlukecurr ... 96/video/1

It's certainly fortunate that the chap with the danger flag wasn't badly injured. It is now on the BBC News www

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-england ... -volunteer

The national BBC TV news only mentioned the race in the business item about things which were making retailers feel more optimistic during the sunny weekend: it didn't make it into the sports news at all, which is par for the course for the BBC.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

Overall it was a good event but the race 'went the wrong way' a couple of times or more; once I saw when there was a tight right turn and the straight ahead option hadn't been closed off (a piece of tape or ribbon would have done) and another time (the same day) when the lead vehicle took a wrong turn and the riders in a breakaway just followed it. The break had a lead of over two minutes beforehand and maybe they would have been caught anyway, but they lost over a minute in the resulting confusion.

There was plenty of action but I do wonder if this kind of race is a bit incomprehensible to non-cycling fans; for example it wasn't quite apparent who might win the race and why until the end of the final stage and the chap that came second overall barely registered in the commentators chat.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

If the TdeF sets the standard, there have been some mega cock-ups there recently including an inflatable banner collapsing just in front of the race and a vehicle from the race caravan getting wedged under the finish banner. These things are always regrettable, especially if they interfere with the race, rather than just giving a bit of ammo to the anti's. It's all vastly better than the days when the Milk Race - at the time perhaps the most prestigious amateur bike race this side of the Iron Curtain was run on open roads with the police mainly concerned about things like riders not crossing the central white line.

Whether your typical Yorkshireman in the street understands bike racing is open to question, but that hasn't stopped them from turning out in big numbers along the route. The English language commentating of bike racing has been contentious among fans ever since I can remember - which isn't all that long a period because it never used to be on the box. There have been various attempts to improve understanding of the sport both by Phil 'n' Paul and more recently by Chris 'n' Ned. I can nitpick with the best. eg At yesterday's finish on the Headrow in Leeds, the stage winner looked round for that final check to ensure that the information he'd been given on the gaps was correct before doing his victory celebration but Gary Imlach later suggested it was pointless. That could have been the cue for a couple of clips of riders who were less professional, or at least an explanation from CB.

Is there a sport where the commentators don't get a lot of flak from the enthusiasts?

Anyway, I hope Sir Gary V is able to keep this up for a while yet. Sponsorship always seems to be the biggy eg the end of the Milk Marketing Board ended the Milk Race. Asda is being taken over by Sainsbury's so it may not fit their plans. The blue jersey is sponsored by a banking outfit with no connection with the county other than its trading name and history. They could switch to sponsoring caber tossing.

Speaking quite selfishly, I enjoy seeing all this on home ground. We're even seeing some of those displays laid out purely for the benefit of the aerial shots. Yesterday, as the race passed through Leeds 12, ARMLEY was spelled out across Brown's Field, a part of Gott's Park at the end of the street where I lived from 1944 - 1954. :D
gazza_d

Post by gazza_d »

thirdcrank wrote:10/10 to Sir Gary Verity of the Welcome to Yorkshire tourist board for continuing to use really well-organised bike races to showcase the county as a holiday destination. Excellent weather this year was a big plus. We now have the World's to look forward to for next year. In an interview on local tv news with Sir G, there was a hint the Vuelta might start here at some point.

Yet again, fantastic crowds which is one of the things sponsors need to see.

Re the inaccurate Yorkshire attributions, that's the fault of people who have not done their homework. The earliest example I remember of this was Nottinghamshire-born Tommy Simpson being accorded honorary dour Yorkshireman status by Fleet Street.

Tommy was actually from County Durham originally, being born in Haswell.

That said, TDY has been another fantastic weekend with staggering crowds esp on lat 2 days. I was excited when richmond was announced as a host town, but when it was only gonna be the start decided not to make the trek down from Tyneside. I was wrong and it looked to be a spectacular event.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

gazza_d

If all goes to plan, an extended Tour de Yorkshire may well stage grands départs outside Yorkshire, and Tyneside may be in the frame. :wink: A darn site more interesting than bashing across some desert. :lol:
geocycle

Post by geocycle »

Another fantastic event. 2.6m watched a free carnival and really got into the event. Probably only A few tens of thousands were interested in cycle racing but so what. I was fed and watered by the WI in Leyburn and had a great ride back west afterward. The best yet in my view. I’d like the women’s race to be on all four days, the western dales to get a stage and more fantastic weather!