Tour of California

Now we have something / quite-a-lot to discuss and celebrate.
thirdcrank

Tour of California

Post by thirdcrank »

I was on childcare duty on Saturday evening so I watched the cycling on Eurosport, which we don't have.

After the Giro highlights it was live Tour of California, last part of the final stage. I couldn't help wondering what's this all about? I appreciate that the UCI made an attempt to make bike racing more truly international and so say all of us, but this race seems to have been going at least ten years but local interest - judged by level of roadside spectators - seemed low. I also appreciate that I only saw a brief sample so has anybody anything more positive to say?
Postboxer

Re: Tour of California

Post by Postboxer »

Maybe that's what all other races are like, currently enjoying a 7 day trial of Eurosport but haven't had it before so the only racing I watch is the highlights of the Giro on Quest and the ITV coverage of the Tour de France, Vuelta and the Tour de Yorkshire, all three of which have good support. Also the Tour of Britain on ITV but I'm not sure that enjoys as much support at the roadside as the Tour de Yorkshire, maybe it's the same fans either from Yorkshire or travelling to Yorkshire and watching every day as it's a shorter race and all within Yorkshire so easier logistically.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Ive watch it once a couple of years ago and a stage last year.Boring in the extreme is the only way I can describe racing on wide roads made for big vehicles,and grid system built town centres with 90 degree corners and even wider boulevards
Boring,boring,boring.

Contrasted with the proper cycle racing on roads made for cycling such as the Giro,Spring Classics,and Strada Bianche ,no contest
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I start from the belief that professional bike racing is driven by money. There's not much to be made at the turnstiles so most of it must be from sponsorship in one form or another. The big money arrived with television coverage, of course, partly because it's a way of getting your logo etc in the public eye but that all supposes somebody is watching. There's also the question of who watches lesser events on telly during a big one. I don't understand why European sponsors targeting a domestic audience see value in having their team jerseys paraded away from their home market in events which are unlikely to attract much interest at home.
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

thirdcrank wrote:I start from the belief that professional bike racing is driven by money.