Dauphiné

Now we have something / quite-a-lot to discuss and celebrate.
cycleruk

Dauphiné

Post by cycleruk »

One of these days Geraint Thomas is going to ride a race without crashing or falling off.
http://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/racin ... hes-381897
You'll never know if you don't try it.
mjr

Re: Dauphiné

Post by mjr »

I've seen that crash four times and it doesn't get any better. Horrible. Geraint called it "slap out" and it really was. He almost risked whiplash the way he slapped into the ground like a fish.

Great win by Kwiato. And what about those Nibali and Bardet performances?
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

Kwiato was lucky to win (by one second!); he accidentally selected the small chainring in the run to the line... those fiddly buttons!

Anyone's race still, after stage 1.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
mig

Post by mig »

beginning to think that sky just mount a brand new tub for first day TTs and send 'em off on it without scrubbing it off a bit!
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

it begins to look as if whoever is doing well in team sky this year is doomed to kiss the tarmac;

- Froome fell off in the Giro
- Geraint fell off in the TT two days ago and
- Kwiato fell off today.

Kwiato never looks at ease in front of the camera, but he still looked somewhat concussed when he was interviewed (presumably a fair while after the stage) when he'd had enough time to change into his street duds.

cheers
mig

Post by mig »

Brucey wrote:it begins to look as if whoever is doing well in team sky this year is doomed to kiss the tarmac;

- Froome fell off in the Giro
- Geraint fell off in the TT two days ago and
- Kwiato fell off today.

Kwiato never looks at ease in front of the camera, but he still looked somewhat concussed when he was interviewed (presumably a fair while after the stage) when he'd had enough time to change into his street duds.

cheers

just bad luck? always seems to me that froome is an athlete who happens to ride a bike, rather than a bike rider. i know he is said to have a history riding in kenya on MTBs etc but he just decks it too often! IIRC once within a few yards of the start ramp of a (worlds?) TT.
rjb

Post by rjb »

Just noticed it's on ITV 4 every evening at 10 or 11pm. :wink:
Just missed the team time trial tonite,
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

TTT was a brutal, crushing display; the winners were ~1s per km faster than the second place team, which is a huge margin, and some of the GC contenders (like Nibali) lost huge chunks of time because their squad rode a poor TTT.

Still, a few climber's stages to finish the race off; anything could happen yet....

cheers
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

I like the TTT and the skill the riders have but I'm not sure it's fair on individuals in the race.
So someone can be in Yellow Jersey but they are dragged back down because of slower riders in their team.
You'll never know if you don't try it.
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

Can G break his run of bad luck today? And Adam Yates in second too :)
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

it was a good win. AG2R attacked when they saw G get a puncture on the last stage. I dunno if that is quite playing the game but G said "I won't forget that..." so what goes around comes around....

cheers
mjr

Post by mjr »

Brucey wrote:it was a good win. AG2R attacked when they saw G get a puncture on the last stage. I dunno if that is quite playing the game but G said "I won't forget that..." so what goes around comes around....

cheers

So Sky adds a feud with AG2R to their one with Movistar arising from Valvpiti attacking Froome while he was waiting for a wheel or some such. Will one of these distractions cost them a race sooner or later?
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.