Sky's new Ocean Rescue kit for TdF

Now we have something / quite-a-lot to discuss and celebrate.
NEvans

Sky's new Ocean Rescue kit for TdF

Post by NEvans »

https://www.teamsky.com/article/sky-ocean-rescue-tour-de-france-kit-revealed

Have people seen sky's new Ocean Rescue kit for this years TdF, I think it looks great.
Newton's first law; Large body mass and weight equals fast going down hill but slow going up,
So blame Newton not me when you're bored waiting at the top of the hill.
mig

Re: Sky's new Ocean Rescue kit for TdF

Post by mig »

ending single use plastics by 2020? so they're going to be riding 531 frames from then on? :wink:
meejozzz

Post by meejozzz »

Team Sky seem to bring out a lot of different jerseys don’t they? I’m way too chunky to fit into anything Rapha or Castelli (I can’t get XXXL over my head) churn out so it won’t be troubling my current account anytime soon - although they do seem to price all official kit way beyond my meagre means anyway. I see they’re advertising free postage on orders over £50 which covers just about everything in the Sky store.
Not keen on the new top though, the orca looks a bit rushed.
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

Whilst it's a worthy cause etc, etc. What a waste of money. Did they really need to change the team strip? Do the fans actually care?

Not sure that cyclists do buy all the different team strips like the kickball crowd do, it's my experience that most make a one off investment and wear it until it drops off their shoulders! Indeed on any fine weekend you can see a variety of team strips stretching back some 30 years or even more, on the roads around here. I reckon most people have no more than three jerseys and pro replica shirts have been bought in the end of season sell offs!

£50 is fairly standard for a good quality jersey these days - oh I know you can get serviceable stuff for much less, but if you want stuff that fits well, maybe has some technical aspect in materials don't expect TKMax prices. Yes I balk at fifty quid too, I have paid that occasionally and I have a lot more than 3 jerseys!

So good on Sky for their charitable support but maybe spending some thousands on new team kit isn't the best way of doing it.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

The way cycling togs have followed soccer kits as a way of parting fools from their money is a sign of the times. Once upon a time, wearing a trade top five years out-of-date was a way of showing experience and a disdain for fashion as well as being a symptom of the legendary financial carefulness of club cyclists. Not any more.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

thirdcrank wrote:The way cycling togs have followed soccer kits as a way of parting fools from their money is a sign of the times. Once upon a time, wearing a trade top five years out-of-date was a way of showing experience and a disdain for fashion as well as being a symptom of the legendary financial carefulness of club cyclists. Not any more.

Ooh! Got to be careful posting such observations on the forum as it may lower your status,even if I do agree entirely with your sentiment :wink:
BTW have you seen the inflated prices of Sky/Rapha kit :shock:
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I've not looked at the Rapha range for a long time and never been tempted to shell out, but IIRC, the Rapha range started out offering the retro look but at a huge price: plus twos made out of exotic fabrics rather than cotton with a pile inner. I've always assumed that the name harked back to the French group sportif of my youth.
RickH

Post by RickH »

Just pointing out that Sky haven't been using Rapha kit for a couple years now, it is Castelli. :)
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

RickH wrote:Just pointing out that Sky haven't been using Rapha kit for a couple years now, it is Castelli. :)

Oops :oops:
The Sky/Castelli prices are still ridiculous though :shock:
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden