2018 Tour De France (Spoilers)

Now we have something / quite-a-lot to discuss and celebrate.
thirdcrank

Re: 2018 Tour De France (Spoilers)

Post by thirdcrank »

IMO The single thing which has done most to make the race so demanding has been start-to-finish TV coverage of every stage which means that somebody nearly always has an incentive to be up the road. Proper racing begins as soon as the race director waves his flag. It's not too much of a problem on flatter stages because the faster the bunch is moving, the more riders within it benefit from its protection. The mountain stages are different. We now have most of the top sprinters eliminated because of time limits: either riders missed them or climbed off when they realised they had no hope of beating them. Although these riders are not good climbers, they can descend quickly and they have usually worked together to finish within the cut-off. That so many riders of this quality are being eliminated suggests that adjustments need to be made.

Having today's mega climbing stage immediately before the time trial may be counter-productive. Most of the serious GC contenders will be thinking about tomorrow when they won't want to be starting cream crackered. I fancy the climbers who aren't strong TT riders - eg Bardet and Quintana - will bust a gut going for glory today, and Sky + Dumoulin will be content to let them have the stage but not run away with it.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

short of G having a very bad day, I can't see how Froome can be seen to win this year's TdF without being seen (to some extent) as having stabbed G in the back. Even if TdM attacks and Froome follows, but (say) G can't, I don't think that Froome's reputation will be improved in the eyes of the fans that are (for whatever reason) not that keen on him to start with.

Sagan looks like he is really suffering today; good for him there are only a few climbs left in this year's race.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

I guess it's all on the TT then. Is TdM two minutes better than GT over that distance? For that matter 3rd and 4th are theoretically close enough too - CF has TT form, Rognic too.

Not that GT doesn't have form against the clock and of course there's the Maillot Jaune effect too - it's not like anyone has to hold back for a hard stage on Sunday is it?

It might not look it but this is the closest Tour for years, it will almost certainly be decided by seconds between four riders.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

blimey! Poor Quintana didn't have a good day but Roglic certainly did, even if both TdM and Dan Martin reckoned that he got towed ahead by drafting a camera bike. G rode brilliantly; he did exactly what he needed to, and conserved his energy perfectly, only seeing the front in the last few yards today. Note that he was only able to do this as a result of Froome's work; he countered attacks from others and suffered accordingly.

I think that the big fight tomorrow will be between TdM, Froome and Roglic, who are within 30s of one another on GC. I dunno how quickly Froome can recover, but it seemed to me that his turns were 2-5kmph slower than TdMs in the chase today, and that they couldn't catch Roglic. This being the case I think it is quite possible that Roglic will pass TdM in the GC tomorrow and Froome will be off the podium in Paris.

I don't think that TdM will catch G unless G has a problem; three weeks into a stage race is a different matter to a TT championship.

cheers
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
2nd & 3rd & 4th have all beaten each other in the past.
These are the only places up for grabs.
We have had unexpected winner of TT this year especially Giro IIRC.
Personally I am 33% on G, Td & Froomey in any order
1% there will be a problem :)
Roglic will upset some of the others.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

Will CF be under team orders? Bit of a nightmare situation - does he give it 100% and potentially usurp GT or hold back and potentially SKY lose everything?

Bit of a dilemma for Sir Dave!
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Sir Dave is principal of team ski, is that something different from directeur sportif?
Like MPs who take non-executive directorships maybe?

Cymru am byth!
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

the TT is simple; no team orders for CF; on current form he will be doing well to ride the same time as Roglic or TdM and I don't rate his chances of overhauling either.

As Dan Martin said; ' a bunch of very tired men trying to ride bikes fast'. The current form book (I,e, what they have managed over the last few days) is much more important that past TTs that are not at the end of the most gruelling stage race going.

cheers
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Yes, Froomeys job will be making the podium.
Will be fun...spectating, nothing to lose for any of the top 4.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Hi,
Yes, Froomeys job will be making the podium.
Will be fun...spectating, nothing to lose for any of the top 4.

Or everything!

Fingers crossed that G gets a good night's sleep - as last off he gets more rest time than the rest!

I don't think even the French can actively dislike G, has to be one of the nicest guys in the pro ranks. How many nearly's has he had when misfortune has stepped in - motorbikes, greasy roads, telegraph poles and even a broken pelvis have all conspired against his Grand Tour aspirations - oh and being in the same team as BW + CF!

This time, when the pressure's been on he's been able to overcome everything that's been thrown down.

Fingers, toes and anything else will be crossed tomorrow.
Debs

Post by Debs »

1. GERAINT THOMAS no.8 TEAM SKY
2. TOM DUMOULIN no.32 TEAM SUNWEB
3. PRIMOŽ ROGLIC no.166 TEAM LOTTO NL - JUMBO
4. CHRIS FROOME no.1 TEAM SKY

I hope the top four GC remain as is tomorrow, and Sunday.

Cycling's coming home [ To Wales ] :D

Nothing against CF, but finishing 4th would at least save him from what he's not accustomed to; the lowest podium step at Paris [and not to mention the booing]

Meanwhile, Roglic is a fresh & plucky future TdF hopeful who i'm sure would far more appreciate the honour of 3rd Podium on what is only his 2nd TdF tour [would be well deserved too]
djnotts

Post by djnotts »

A GT win for GT would be just, well, neat! Hope he keeps it together tomorrow even though I detest Sky and all the things for which it stands.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Good to see that Peter Sagan is still in the race.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

djnotts wrote:A GT win for GT would be just, well, neat! Hope he keeps it together tomorrow even though I detest Sky and all the things for which it stands.

Dislike ski, - 1
Love Wales,+2! Sir Dave even speaks Welsh

Cymru am byth!
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

Cyril Haearn wrote:
djnotts wrote:A GT win for GT would be just, well, neat! Hope he keeps it together tomorrow even though I detest Sky and all the things for which it stands.

Dislike ski, - 1
Love Wales,+2! Sir Dave even speaks Welsh

Cymru am byth!

I know it's a but old school but what's wrong with Ski? It is yoghurt of a sort which is good right? Now i'm not a great fan of that Skyr stuff, I prefer a bit smoother texture to my dairy desserts!