2018 Tour De France (Spoilers)

Now we have something / quite-a-lot to discuss and celebrate.
thirdcrank

Re: 2018 Tour De France (Spoilers)

Post by thirdcrank »

I'll put in a word for Tom Dumoulin. I see that he's 20 seconds down on GC, which seems rather poignant to me, especially as he put in such a big ride yesterday.
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
thirdcrank wrote:I'll put in a word for Tom Dumoulin. I see that he's 20 seconds down on GC, which seems rather poignant to me, especially as he put in such a big ride yesterday.

I would like to have seen G pass Dumoulin earlier, then see what would of happened, G's timing was of course flawless.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote: ….Without G, Froomey would still have not been first, Dummoulin piping him on the line....

Without G, Froome would have sat on DuMoulin's wheel and (probably) outsprinted him at the finish line. As it was, Froome thought it more important not to lose a few more seconds to his team-mate, even if he lead DuMoulin out....

Brailsford is likely to keep backing both horses whilst he still can; what better position to be in (provided he can keep the team together and not end up in an 'La Vie Clair' situation) than to have two riders who could win. One of the things that we can't know about is what DB is whispering into each rider's ear; according to Wiggo, he may be telling both riders that they are 'the chosen one', which may keep them motivated for now, but is ultimately bound to end in tears....

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
mjr

Post by mjr »

While it's ended up thus far with an interesting situation, both G and Froome have been playing with fairly straight bats, doing the obvious tactical moves at each point as form and etiquette allows. The interesting thing will happen if either breaks ranks at any point, such as one attacking as the other is about to blow up, or pulling rank and trying to make the other ride in front for a prolonged period Sky-train-style rather than taking turns.

But I think if no team is willing to join Movistar in trying to derail the Sky train, then no-one can beat Sky this tour except Sky. An 8-man team with 3 leaders (anyone want to bet that even a time-lost Valverde will stop acting as a leader?) mean Movistar can't derail a 8-with-2 Sky alone.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Spinners

Post by Spinners »

I couldn't be prouder of G's ride yesterday.

I'm not convinced that he can go on and win it though. I think his loyal lieutenant past is too deeply ingrained but I hope I'm wrong as a G win would be marvellous and perhaps best for Sky in that there'll be none of the baggage that would accompany another Froome win.
Cycling UK Life Member
PBP Ancien (2007)
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

they went over the lacets de montvernier climb today; rather picturesque in an average photo, but this one is a cracker;

cheers
Brucey

Froome attacked by spectator on Alpe d'Huez?

Post by Brucey »

the director cut away from it pdq but it looked like Froome was attacked by a fat git in green shorts ~6.4km from the finish. Fortunately he wasn't knocked off but he must have been shaken by it.

Also a shame that there was a motorbike collision shortly afterwards that might have affected the result.

Top result though!

cheers
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Spinners wrote:I couldn't be prouder of G's ride yesterday.

I'm not convinced that he can go on and win it though. .........

I wasn't until today.
What a sprint WOW!

Bernal was phenominal!
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
reohn2

Re: Froome attacked by spectator on Alpe d'Huez?

Post by reohn2 »

Brucey wrote:the director cut away from it pdq but it looked like Froome was attacked by a fat git in green shorts ~6.4km from the finish. Fortunately he wasn't knocked off but he must have been shaken by it.

I saw that,there was a complaint that there was no police presence at that point on the course :?

Also a shame that there was a motorbike collision shortly afterwards that might have affected the result.

I feel sure Nibali what have done some damage if he'd not been brought down,anything can happen when the loonies are let loose :?

Top result though!

cheers

Yep it sure was :)
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
thirdcrank

Re: Froome attacked by spectator on Alpe d'Huez?

Post by thirdcrank »

Brucey wrote: ... it looked like Froome was attacked ...

That's certainly what it looked like to me. He ran out and seemed to target Froome specifically.

I decided to risk the square eyes and watched the whole of the ITV4 broadcast, having started to watch the recording a while into it so I could skip through the ads. Gripping stuff. Sky under a lot of pressure but they stood up to it so much better than the rest. A good ride too from Tom Dumoulin: he looks like the most dangerous of the rest on performance rather than being talked up as a threat.
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

Another brilliant stage today. Unusual to see 4 or 5 players vying for the stage win.
I saw the Froome incident and and it looked like a punch to me. GT said in the after race interview that he ran over Nibali's back wheel when he was on the ground and was lucky to stay upright.
You'll never know if you don't try it.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Something else I've just noticed is that unlucky 13 Lawson Cradock who has been nursing a shoulder injury and was often struggling to hold on, finished a respectable 42nd today. I thought he was firmly in the lanterne rouge spot, which riders have sometimes fought to retain. He's still there by just over six minutes but if he keeps this up, he may soon climb off the bottom spot.
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

thirdcrank wrote:Something else I've just noticed is that unlucky 13 Lawson Cradock who has been nursing a shoulder injury and was often struggling to hold on, finished a respectable 42nd today. I thought he was firmly in the lanterne rouge spot, which riders have sometimes fought to retain. He's still there by just over six minutes but if he keeps this up, he may soon climb off the bottom spot.

Every one I speak to knows about Craddock. Excellent advert for EF Energy than any one else. Has his team leader, Uran, gone out today?
You'll never know if you don't try it.
Debs

Post by Debs »

cycleruk wrote:Has his team leader, Uran, gone out today?

Yes, plenty out today:

Stage 12 abandonments
Rigoberto Uran (EF Education First-Drapac) – DNS
André Greipel (Lotto-Soudal) – Missed time cut
Fernando Gaviria (Quick Step Floors) – Missed time cut
Dylan Groenewegen (LottoNL-Jumbo) – Missed time cut
Marcel Sieberg (Lotto-Soudal) – Missed time cut
Paweł Poljański (Bora-Hansgrohe) – Missed time cut
Rick Zabel (Katusha-Alpecin) – Missed time cut
Tony Gallopin (AG2R La Mondiale) – Missed time cut

Stage 11 abandonments
Mark Cavendish (Dimension Data) – Missed time cut
Mark Renshaw (Dimension Data) – Missed time cut
Marcel Kittel (Katusha-Alpecin) – Missed time cut

Stage 10 abandonments
Jens Keukeleire (Lotto-Soudal) – Crash (DNS)
Alexis Vuillermoz (Ag2r La Mondiale) – Crash (DNS)

Stage nine abandonments
Tony Martin (Katusha-Alpecin) – Crash (DNS)
Richie Porte (BMC Racing) – Crash
José Joaquin Rojas (Movistar) – Crash

Stage eight abandonments
None

Stage seven abandonments
None

Stage six abandonments
None

Stage five abandonments
Tiesj Benoot (Lotto-Soudal) – Crash (DNS)
Michael Matthews (Team Sunweb) – Illness (DNS)
Robert Kiserlovski (Katusha-Alpecin) – Crash

Stage four abandonments
Axel Domont (Ag2r La Mondiale) – Crash

Stage three abandonments
None

Stage two abandonments
Tsgabu Grmay (Trek-Segafredo) – Illness
Luis Leon Sanchez (Astana) – Crash

Stage one abandonments
None

Read more at https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/raci ... iIBQqtH.99
mjr

Post by mjr »

cycleruk wrote:Every one I speak to knows about Craddock. Excellent advert for EF Energy than any one else. Has his team leader, Uran, gone out today?

Uran's out, but EF is Education First, who are language schools and travel organisers. www.ef.edu
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.