How to cycle like a Pro' ?

Now we have something / quite-a-lot to discuss and celebrate.
cycleruk

How to cycle like a Pro' ?

Post by cycleruk »

Reality check.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-44897751

So now you know. :wink:
The interesting fact for me is the effect of air resistance.
You'll never know if you don't try it.
thirdcrank

Re: How to cycle like a Pro' ?

Post by thirdcrank »

"Suppose that you are riding in the belly of the peloton and the peloton is cruising at around 54km/h, then for you it feels like you are cycling at 17km/h," Prof Blocken says. "That is a very low speed most amateurs can attain, but this doesn't mean that you and I would be able to ride along with a professional cycling peloton.

"We could maybe do that for a few kilometres, when the peloton was tightly packed and on a flat and straight road. But as soon as we go through bends, you get this spike in air resistance and you need the skills, training and power of a professional cyclist to be able to catch up."

Been there, done it, but in a French fourth cat race where I had some trouble explaining to the commissaires why I had a 3rd cat BCF licence - only three categories. The slightest uphill has a devastating effect as well IME.
1982john

Post by 1982john »

After the incredible E2E record set by Mike a few weeks a go I was wondering what time a pro - with pro team support - could do LEJOG in. If, as the more or less implies, that pros go about 15% faster then maybe they could do it in under 38 hours?
LollyKat

Post by LollyKat »

Doubt if they could keep it up for 38 hours, though - they don't train for that as there is no money in it for them.
spider2106

Post by spider2106 »

Its interesting to see the last stage when the riders were cruising along ,chatting and laughing on a very wide road that some club riders on the other carriage way were trying very hard just to keep up!