Performance enhancers needed for LTDF....

Now we have something / quite-a-lot to discuss and celebrate.
fullupandslowingdown

Performance enhancers needed for LTDF....

Post by fullupandslowingdown »

Almost every evening I watched ITV4 le tour I see a number of gendarme watching the cyclists and not the hooligans, I mean sports fans. Should professional riders have to put up with repeated verbal and physical abuse from deranged fans, I mean passionate supporters. whether its usually water or if it's urine or some other undesired liquid, no one should be throwing anything at riders. I've had a sandwich thrown at me from a passing van and it's not amusing.
The riders shouldn't have to demonstrate supreme balance when thugs punch at them.
And I think it's about time that all flares, explosives, fireworks, gaseous items of any nature are banned from the course route. I assume that French police have similar powers to British police in being able to introduce local banning orders. With a very mild case of asthma I'd certainly hate to try to ride through the smoke from a flare as seen on some days in the mountain stages. And it's reasonable to assume that smoke from a flare was a contributory factor in a crash which led to one rider been injured and ending his tour.
I know that there can't be police on every corner and at every yard, but the police that are there aren't working. (who remembers the one who took a picture in the finishing straight and brought down a rider?) Make it an arrest-able offence to have or let off a flare and throw any spectator immediately into the back of a french "TSG" van, who has one even before it causes potential danger to the riders. If necessary make the slopes a mandatory dry area.
Anyone agree, or am I over reacting to the growing casualty list, and Chris Froome's laundry bill?
reohn2

Re: Performance enhancers needed for LTDF....

Post by reohn2 »

I couldn't agree more,24 hours in jail whilst there case was being sorted would be a great way to stop it.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

Just ban the French from watching at the roadside! :lol:
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

One is very surprised there are so few incidents, seeing how the tifosi make room only at the last moment

Frank McCourt got it right when a student threw a bap at him, he caught and ate it :o
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

All very well banning these things but how do you enforce the bans? They would need a Gendarme every 10 yards all the way along the route and search everyone going up onto a mountain stage for alcohol. Some of these arrive in their camper van several days before the race arrives.

Barrier the whole course and have more police motorbikes? That would cost too much and there are already too many motorbikes on the race. Such behaviour is not limited to cycling. Attend a football match and hear the abuse directed at the players by the fans and coins thrown onto the pitch. You sometimes get people at marathons interfering with the runners.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
rjb

Post by rjb »

Its not always one way reaction as these clips show. Sometimes the riders get their revenge, but at a cost. :twisted:
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/when-ri ... g-history/
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D