TOB (Publicity Economy & Political)

Now we have something / quite-a-lot to discuss and celebrate.
NATURAL ANKLING

TOB (Publicity Economy & Political)

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Tour of Britain is here a gain.
I see if this is correct that Wiggo Froomey & G are all there but they won't all be at the end I bet?

Anyway despite its starting in devon I probably will not make the sixty or so miles to get a few seconds glimpse of the guys.

Its all over the media on how much money it will bring in, are that many people interested in the few seconds of entertainment viewed from the kerb or is it about just another reason to leave home and fill your face.

I think cycling will see another drop in interest as all campaigns to get people on or out of house seems to have lost its way, especially with children.

Back then a bike was like a car today for me more the fact that it opened up horizons outside of the scope of target practice in the back garden...............

Both TV Stations of the media advertised it as a boost to the economy, it was the main story in southwest along with a rescue of a calf from a 150 foot cliff plunge :P
Edited for grammar :(
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
cycleruk

Re: TOB (Publicity Economy & Political)

Post by cycleruk »

It's Team Wiggins that is racing not Wiggo himself.
I think it is on ITV-4 if you want to watch it.
You'll never know if you don't try it.
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
And IIRC the local media showed pictures of all TDF british riders side by side and said they are rtiding, so they got that wrong, I have not checked.
Some meeting in any other country some race it would of been if they were all in same race.
You are right of course no wiggo.
Always seems flat after the grand tours.
pwa

Post by pwa »

GT and Froome at the Maindy stadium in Cardiff yesterday, doing laps with kids. Nice one.

Today's stage looks like a pleasant tour along the A40, then the Tumble, and a long easy run into Newport. Bunch finish written all over it.
Jontrev

Post by Jontrev »

[quote="NATURAL ANKLING"]Hi,
I see if this is correct that Wiggo Froomey & G are all there but they won't all be at the end I bet?

Anyway despite its starting in devon I probably will not make the sixty or so miles to get a few seconds glimpse of the guys.

It starts in South Wales, NOT DEVON
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
Jontrev wrote:
NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Hi,

It starts in South Wales, NOT DEVON

My bad :oops:
In knew I got it wrong, just could not be bothered to correct.

Where else would it start but the home town :)
mjr

Post by mjr »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Where else would it start but the home town :)

Whose home town? G's fom Cardiff. It started near Carmarthen.

It's a fun day out, especially if you go somewhere with a big screen to see more than a minute of racing, food, drink and a nice ride to/from.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
Yes probably right, football and rugger are no different.
I am a bit of a sadist and don't touch any coloured liquid whilst riding to and from spectating or other dark places :)
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
TTT on thurs day was interesting.
Froomey gets dropped, wahpoels being set up for GC.
T Martin comes good in his team.
fausto copy

Post by fausto copy »

A bit late in spotting this post, so apologies.

We went to Pembrey Country Park for the start of the Tour and were a bit disappointed with the offerings the day before the event.
There were various races for all ages on offer, but there wasn't much atmosphere and the evening entertainment was a bit grim, unless I suspect you'd necked several bottles of alcohol.

However, race day was a much better affair. The crowds were enormous and it was great to see so many kids there, revelling in the atmosphere. Once the tour buses and cars started arriving, delivering riders and bikes, it was a really lively affair with folk gathering round to look at all the equipment. Whether it was pre-planned that Team Sky arrived last was a bit of a mystery and I felt sorry for all the other teams as most of the crowd acted like lemmings and swooned all around the Sky bus.
Happily, Team Sky seemed to be on a bit of a charm offensive as, despite being the only team to erect barriers around the bus, apparently the riders took time to have photos taken and signed autographs etc.

It was at that point that I realised we could get a fairly good spec. near the start line to get some good photos and duly did so when the teams were presented on the stage for signing on. Again I felt sorry for (I think it was QuickStep) as their team was being presented when the Sky riders rode down to the stage and all attention and applauding went to Sky and not the team on stage.

I think things were running a bit late and it was a bit of a rush to get on with the start, but all went to plan and within moments the riders were waved off.
There was big screen to watch the rest of the race and I must applaud Carmarthenshire Council for all their efforts for setting up a great event.
My only real gripe was that there wasn't much information about what was happening. We spoke to several marshals the evening before and got conflicting information about where the start line would be and were even told that the riders would do two laps of the park before setting off.

All in all though, an entertain couple of hours and certainly better than just catching a fleeting glance as the event went past on the road somewhere.
And a worthy winner too, by all accounts.

One other thing: you know that saying that you know you feel old when policemen look younger?
Well, to me the riders just looked like kids. :shock: