Junior bikes

Now we have something / quite-a-lot to discuss and celebrate.
NickL

Junior bikes

Post by NickL »

Hi

Does anyone have any advice on a new bike for my 9 year old son. He has started competing in traithlons this summer and has now entered the winter cyclocross season. The bikes i am looking at are scatto jc28, hoy meadowmill, forme calver 26, worx j26, cuda cp26r.

Any help or advice or pros and cons would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you
Si

Re: Junior bikes

Post by Si »

not much experience in general of these so can't compare. However our BC Go-Ride coaches use the Hoy and they seem to like them...they take plenty of abuse.
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

What are the other children in his category riding? Hoy, Wiggins, Islabikes, Decathlon all do junior road bikes. Islabikes do hold their value and have a trade in option for when you move up in size, but are expensive to start with. As a rough rule of thumb (and my son was small for his age and grew slowly) I found a bike had a shelf life of about 18 months before they moved to the next size... so worth considering.

What about other families, do any of them have bikes their children have grown out of and are selling on? Plenty of bikes around our junior cycle club were sold on....and my son's 650cc had a buyer queuing up for it... though they had to wait Father Christmas and arrival of the next bike....
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
100%JR

Post by 100%JR »

Plenty tend to use the Scatto J-cross in the races around here.VERY good bike with excellent resale value.The Scatto has 700c wheels but a XXS frame.
Paul Milne cycles will built one to your specifications.
I was going to buy one for my son but he’s no interest in Cyclo-Cross at the moment he just rides Road,closed circuit and is starting Triathlons next year.His first drop bar was a Frog 62 CX,another good bike for the job.His last Bike was a Wiggins Rouen which are no good for CX as they don’t have clearance for the tyres.
The Hoy is a decent bike but not in the same league as the Scatto but the Scatto will cost almost twice as much as the Hoy and even second hand you’re probably looking at £400-£500 depending on spec.My mate’s just sold his lads top spec Scatto for £900 and he could have sold it four times over !??