Scrap Funding For Elite Athletes.

Now we have something / quite-a-lot to discuss and celebrate.
landsurfer

Scrap Funding For Elite Athletes.

Post by landsurfer »

Scrap all funding for BC ...
If the HUUB Wattbike / KGF track cycle team team can beat the worlds best, including the best of the UK tax payer supported cycling luvvies, without any support from British Cycling then funding is shown to be a waste of money...
Scrap all funding, for all "Elite" athletes, in all disciplines ... £25k x 1000 is a hell of a lot of money for children's school swimming lessons, after school football et al ...

https://huubwattbike.com

Discuss ...... :)
Last edited by landsurfer on 1 Feb 2019, 4:40pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
reohn2

Re: Scrap Funding For Elite Athletes.

Post by reohn2 »

Whilst I agree with the principal,one only needs look at Sky or Qucik Step's achievements to see what money buys :wink:
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
mjr

Post by mjr »

reohn2 wrote:Whilst I agree with the principal,one only needs look at Sky or Qucik Step's achievements to see what money buys :wink:

No questions asked medical deliveries and sexually harassed waitresses? :twisted:
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
PH

Post by PH »

landsurfer wrote:If the HUUB Wattbike / KGF track cycle team team can beat the worlds best, including the best of the UK tax payer supported cycling luvvies, without any support from British Cycling then funding is shown to be a waste of money...

I'm pretty sure that some of those riders have come through the BC program and have benefited from BC money.
I've seen them training, they deserve their success.
iandriver

Post by iandriver »

The magic question is can they beat team GB in an Olympic year. Picking up the odd medal early or mid Olympic cycle is one thing. Breaking world records in an Olympic year is something else. Plenty of entire countries thought the had an edge on team GB over the years going into the Olympics.
Turned out our wheels were rounder etc.
Supporter of the A10 corridor cycling campaign serving Royston to Cambridge http://a10corridorcycle.com. Never knew gardening secateurs were an essential part of the on bike tool kit until I took up campaigning.....
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Sorry missed this post
mjr wrote:
reohn2 wrote:Whilst I agree with the principal,one only needs look at Sky or Qucik Step's achievements to see what money buys :wink:

No questions asked medical deliveries and sexually harassed waitresses? :twisted:

Quite!
It happens all too frequently where big salaries/earnings are being handed out,the arrogance can go along with the territory :evil:
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

I know someone who represented GB some years ago as a cyclist. Some kind soul bought them all train tickets to wherever they were competing, but did not provide tickets to get home again. My friend didn't have the money, so rode his bike home (including begging a boat ride across the channel) then rode home.

He thought it was an improvement over some other arrangements!

I guess we could return to that. And struggling to find folks who want to represent their country at sport.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

It's possible to succeed outside of the BC system but over the years BC have consistently not always selected the best riders if they are outside of their 'club'.

I have no problem with the top riders getting support but maybe the system needs looking at. Driven largely by the funders the bias is skewed very much to the track at the 'expense' of other disciplines as there are lots of medals to be had. But whilst impressive, 3 minutes on the velodrome does not represent 99% of the cycling public. More is done to promote road racing for example by the charitable Dave Rayner fund.

It is also producing a generation of one dimensional riders which isn't good for the riders long term career prospects. No less than Jason Kenny admitted this week in CW that he has no useful qualifications, he was encouraged to concentrate on riding a bike. Perhaps funding could be tied to some minimum level of academic achievement?

There is also a gender bias with the funding despite all the PC slogans.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

landsurfer wrote:Scrap all funding for BC ...
If the HUUB Wattbike / KGF track cycle team team can beat the worlds best, including the best of the UK tax payer supported cycling luvvies, without any support from British Cycling then funding is shown to be a waste of money...
Scrap all funding, for all "Elite" athletes, in all disciplines ... £25k x 1000 is a hell of a lot of money for children's school swimming lessons, after school football et al ...

https://huubwattbike.com

Discuss ...... :)

Think you'll find its somewhat less than 1000 riders getting 25k, much less than 100 if I recall.

Not sure what swimming and football have to do with it, they have their own funding pots and decide to spend their money in different ways to cycling.

Maybe if cycling on a professional level was run in the same way as football there wouldn't be any need for as much central funding to gain success.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
mjr

Post by mjr »

PH wrote:
landsurfer wrote:If the HUUB Wattbike / KGF track cycle team team can beat the worlds best, including the best of the UK tax payer supported cycling luvvies, without any support from British Cycling then funding is shown to be a waste of money...

I'm pretty sure that some of those riders have come through the BC program and have benefited from BC money.
I've seen them training, they deserve their success.

Who? Some have done some training sessions with BC but I think it's a stretch to say they've come through the BC programme. In their recent interview on thecyclingpodcast.com, they mention BC being actively obstructive and unwelcoming. At events, they fly the Derbados (Derby) flag rather than risk BC getting undue credit.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

foxyrider wrote:
Think you'll find its somewhat less than 1000 riders getting 25k, much less than 100 if I recall.

Not sure what swimming and football have to do with it, they have their own funding pots and decide to spend their money in different ways to cycling.

Maybe if cycling on a professional level was run in the same way as football there wouldn't be any need for as much central funding to gain success.

I wasn't just talking about cycling ... elite athletes in all disciplines...
Be more Mike.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

foxyrider wrote:Think you'll find its somewhat less than 1000 riders getting 25k, much less than 100 if I recall.

That won't help any issues with sexism, though :?
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

HUUB are awesome, I love them. But they're an outlier. They don't prove that elite sport funding is irrelevant: it's when the HUUBs of this world are the rule rather than the exception that they'll have proven elite funding is irrelevant.

And where does the funding come from? In significant part from the lottery AIUI, and the lottery isn't a general taxation fund. With lottery funding, if you're not happy with their idea of a "Good Cause" you can vote with your feet and not play the lottery. You might say school swimming lessons are a better way to spend money, I would retort that swimming is a core life skill and should come out of general taxation.

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
mjr

Post by mjr »

pjclinch wrote:HUUB are awesome, I love them. But they're an outlier. They don't prove that elite sport funding is irrelevant: it's when the HUUBs of this world are the rule rather than the exception that they'll have proven elite funding is irrelevant.

Well, there's also BEAT higher up the standings than HUUB, plus a smattering of other teams, but there's 25 or so nations funding elite track cycling teams which probably also hoover up available commercial sponsorship like BC do with HSBC.

And where does the funding come from? In significant part from the lottery AIUI, [...]

Does it? https://huubdesign.com/blogs/news/stude ... ling-world says "no lottery funding".
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

Vorpal wrote:
foxyrider wrote:Think you'll find its somewhat less than 1000 riders getting 25k, much less than 100 if I recall.

That won't help any issues with sexism, though :?

The issue is winning;
Other issues to consider:
Sexism Homophobia Trans Disability #metoo Hetrophobia Projectfear Brexit Farage ... et. al.

oh ... forgot one ...Cycling ...
Be more Mike.