Scrap Funding For Elite Athletes.

Now we have something / quite-a-lot to discuss and celebrate.
TrevA

Re: Scrap Funding For Elite Athletes.

Post by TrevA »

Jo Rowsell and Lizzie Armitstead were picked up by BCs talent identification scheme which is part of their lottery funded performance pathway that leads to medals. Without it, they would never have taken up cycling or become Olympic or World champions.

The Elite funding for athletes is just the top of the pyramid. Geraint Thomas and Mark Cavendish were already cycling when they were picked up by BC but were just promising juniors. They would not have achieved what they have without being on the BC Development pathway. Chris Froome is another outlier whose career isn’t as a result of BCs coaching programme, but it could be argued that without BC’s considerable success on the track, Team Sky would never have existed.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
belgiangoth

Re: Scrap Funding For Elite Athletes.

Post by belgiangoth »

Seeing as we are spending to the tune of 200 Billion on Trident, which has as sole purpose not to be used (and this is "only" two years' worth of spending on the NHS) I don't think we need to think of all the changes we could make if we saved the money we spent on sport.
I am not one for funding sport success in general, but I have to acknowledge the spin-off advantages of a healthier population and the reduced cost to the NHS/taxpayer that entails.
If I had a baby elephant, I would put it on a recumbent trike so that it would become invisible.