Tied and Soldered

Now we have something / quite-a-lot to discuss and celebrate.
landsurfer

Tied and Soldered

Post by landsurfer »

I've got my hubs ... Normandy Lg Flange, rear double fixed ...
Is there anyone out there still building Tied and Soldered fixed road wheels ...
I have 2 pairs built by Charlie Alexander of Cardiff which are in irregular use but would like a new build pair ...... their 38 years old ...
He wasn't happy building them with clincher rims for the then new Michelin Elan tyres which i raced on.
I rode tubs for most of my TT events but realised very quickly the benefits of clinchers...

Your thoughts peers ...?
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
Hobbs1951

Re: Tied and Soldered

Post by Hobbs1951 »

I'm sure I know two wheelbuilders that could build this way, however I've never used large flange hubs with tied and soldered spokes on the road - far too rigid.

On the track yes, road nooooo.

John.
rjb

Post by rjb »

Ok if you have money to burn otherwise it's of no benefit. Discussion on an old thread here. viewtopic.php?f=5&t=67685&p=578480&hilit=Tied+Soldered#p578480 :wink:
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

In the days of 'cheese' rims it was common practice even on LF to T&S wheels. Did it make any difference? Not really sure. The last wheels I had done were in the mid 80's, I paid a lot of money to have it done. But the job was shoddy, many of the ties loose, I could have done better myself!

Maybe if I was building a retro museum piece i'd do it but there really is no advantage.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

FWIW trying to soft-solder onto stainless steel spokes is often a waste of time; it doesn't want to wet and even if it appears to, it often soon works loose again. If you are set on tying and soldering, it works best on rustless spokes, if you want it to do anything useful, that is. In terms of 'useful' there is little benefit past the looks of the thing, apart from the ends of broken spokes not flapping about so much.

I wouldn't bother with it.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~