2019 Tour de France: Spoilers!

Now we have something / quite-a-lot to discuss and celebrate.
Debs

Re: 2019 Tour de France: Spoilers!

Post by Debs »

I'm wondering what will happen, i mean in theory the sprinters could lead out a fast pace charge on the approach and when they get to the climb block across the road shoulder to shoulder, so all the climbers are stuck behind :lol:

tony_mm

Post by tony_mm »

Tomorrow at least 3 guys will definitely attack if they have the legs.

- Thomas needs only 28 seconds on Alaphilippe to gain 1 place in the GC. Totally doable on that 30 km final climb.

- Kruijswijk needs only 12 seconds on Thomas to gain 1 place in the GC. Totally doable on that 30 km final climb.

- Buchmann needs only 27 seconds on Kruijswijk to gain 1 place in the GC. Totally doable on that 30 km final climb.

Alaphilippe on the other side can't win anything against Bernal but has everything to loose. So the best tactic will be to stay as long as possible in the wheels of Thomas - or attack early if has the legs.

Landa/ Uran/ Quintana have to attack early - if they can get out of the Ineos train...
Valverde will help Landa to gain some time.

That stage is going to be interesting!
tony_mm

Post by tony_mm »

Oh and Bernal??

Well if the team is working for him then just let the Ineos train working as fast as possible in the climb and then chasing Alaphilippe, Kruijswijk and Buchman (and Thomas?) if they become dangerous - and only if the Ineos domestique can't close the gap ----- or make the TdF win with Panache and attack the first in the climb and win the stage.....
tony_mm

2019 Tour de France: Spoilers!

Post by tony_mm »

What a difference with Ineos...

https://youtu.be/VlkMLzJCYns
tony_mm

Post by tony_mm »

1982john

Post by 1982john »

tony_mm wrote:What a difference with Ineos...

https://youtu.be/VlkMLzJCYns

difference in what way?
Debs

Post by Debs »

IMO...
If shortening the very important mountain Stage 20 down to 59.5km ( 37 miles ) on safety grounds then may as well run it as a time trial.

As a 37 mile road race it may work out far too aggressive from the start line, and the sheer bunched mass of aggression sustained on route could produce many crashes (?) ...hope i'm wrong :|
Marcus Aurelius

Post by Marcus Aurelius »

Bernal is about to suffer a multitude of punctures and mechanicals.
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

Anyone else noticed that yesterday's stage timings aren't available on letour.fr? Now explain to me how they reach the GC timings without.

Short answer: they can't. To give everyone a fair crack of the whip, yesterday's stage should either be run again, or completely annulled.
Have we got time for another cuppa?
Marcus Aurelius

Audax67 wrote:Anyone else noticed that yesterday's stage timings aren't available on letour.fr? Now explain to me how they reach the GC timings without.

Short answer: they can't. To give everyone a fair crack of the whip, yesterday's stage should either be run again, or completely annulled.

They took the timings from the chip timings at the top of the Iseran. Today’s weather forecast is as bad as yesterday’s ( if not worse ) so re running the stage is off.
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

Yeah, reckoned it was something like that. Chopping it off after the Iseran rather than before seems unfair, though.

Ah well. I don't see our guy getting his jumper back today, but he had a great run. Did you see the bit where he gave it away to a kiddie?
Marcus Aurelius

Audax67 wrote:Yeah, reckoned it was something like that. Chopping it off after the Iseran rather than before seems unfair, though.

Ah well. I don't see our guy getting his jumper back today, but he had a great run. Did you see the bit where he gave it away to a kiddie?

A harsh commentator may say something like “I hope they checked the pockets for sharps” however, I would never say such a thing. To be fair, I think he’s been playing with straight dice, despite a bit of doubt ( from me certainly) early doors.
Marcus Aurelius

Ooh, a bit of shenanigans from the intravenous team car there, I wonder what was just said to Bernal.

Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

Marcus Aurelius wrote:
Audax67 wrote:Yeah, reckoned it was something like that. Chopping it off after the Iseran rather than before seems unfair, though.

A harsh commentator may say something like “I hope they checked the pockets for sharps” however, I would never say such a thing. To be fair, I think he’s been playing with straight dice, despite a bit of doubt ( from me certainly) early doors.

Me too. I was quite relieved when he started to look strained after the Tourmalet.
Marcus Aurelius

It was lovely to see G conceding to Bernal at the end there. Just goes to prove what a top bloke he is.