2019 Tour de France: Spoilers!

Now we have something / quite-a-lot to discuss and celebrate.
cycleruk

Re: 2019 Tour de France: Spoilers!

Post by cycleruk »

mattheus wrote:I haven't heard any Vuelta plans for Ineos yet.
Any rumours??

https://www.procyclingstats.com/race/vu ... /startlist

And Bernal is riding the San Sebastion this Saturday 3rd August. Plus a few of the other TdF entrants.
You'll never know if you don't try it.
mjr

Post by mjr »

mattsccm wrote:NC won event the ladies. Best that was on offer but not the same as the mens. On one hand its the first grand tour but in reality it wasn't a 3 week race which define a grand tour. I see why ladies races are not promoted, a vicious circle really but at the same time wonder why even one day races arebwatered down versions of the men's.

And do you think last year's short stage was a watered down one?

In your opinion, was the Vuelta not a grand tour before 1985? Was the Giro not one before 1971?

And is it right that women currently have no GT UCI classification, preventing anyone even attempting a multi week race?
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
mjr

Post by mjr »

cotterpins wrote:
tatanab wrote:
cotterpins wrote:Whatever the result, you can never take away that "G" is the first ever British-born TDF winner!
Nicole Cooke might disagree, as she says in her book "The Breakaway". But of course I understand what you mean. She is Welsh too.

Nicole is indeed one of cycling' greats, along with Beryl Burton. I'm also aware that she is Welsh but I'm not sure what year she was in the men's TDF?

You didn't say "men's". Keep on airbrushing women out of history if you like (!)
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

G's interview after the podium celebration was quite telling; he mentioned that two years ago he had a broken collar bone, was watching Froome win and just then he would quite happily have taken second place. But now, he has had a taste of the top step and can't help having different hopes and expectations.

"..To be second to a team mate... makes it OK, you know..." he said, in that way that make you think it isn't really OK, its just better than if someone who wasn't a team mate was stood there instead. "Egan.... he's the future...he's unbelievable, to be a part of that with him, I'm sure when I'm 45, fat and old, sat in the pub, watching him win his tenth Tour de France, (I'll be saying) "I taught him everything he knows" ".

G's tale of being the loyal team player, taking the rough with the smooth, could undoubtedly be repeated -with variations- throughout the peloton. So of course we salute the winners in this race, and those who came tantalisingly close to winning too. But we should also salute those who ride this race at all; most of the riders on this road of broken dreams consider it a personal triumph just to be able start the race, leave alone finish it, riding each day with little hope of fame or glory.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Brucey wrote: ............G's tale of being the loyal team player, taking the rough with the smooth, could undoubtedly be repeated -with variations- throughout the peloton. So of course we salute the winners in this race, and those who came tantalisingly close to winning too. But we should also salute those who ride this race at all; most of the riders on this road of broken dreams consider it a personal triumph just to be able start the race, leave alone finish it, riding each day with little hope of fame or glory.

cheers

Not forgetting that those who win can't do it alone and wouldn't stand an earthly without the backing of a great team behind them,that includes management,mechanics,etc,right down to the bus driver.They all play their part to a greater or lesser degree.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

reohn2 wrote:
Brucey wrote: ............G's tale of being the loyal team player, taking the rough with the smooth, could undoubtedly be repeated -with variations- throughout the peloton. So of course we salute the winners in this race, and those who came tantalisingly close to winning too. But we should also salute those who ride this race at all; most of the riders on this road of broken dreams consider it a personal triumph just to be able start the race, leave alone finish it, riding each day with little hope of fame or glory.

cheers

Not forgetting that those who win can't do it alone and wouldn't stand an earthly without the backing of a great team behind them,that includes management,mechanics,etc,right down to the bus driver.They all play their part to a greater or lesser degree.

Anyone had a gander at the list of (miserable) TdF prizes? OK, Ineos got >800k€ including Bernal's 500kE but Alaphilippe's 14 days in yellow netted him the glorious total of 7000€,* and the other recompenses for three weeks of grinding effort were more slaps in the face - and all prizes are divvied up with the entire team. The total pot was around 2¼ M€.

See https://netstorage.lequipe.fr/ASO/cycli ... e-2019.pdf starting at p19.

You could wish that everyone who turns out to watch the TdF on the road or watches the hours of free TV coverage would chip in a € or two: it'd probably triple or quadruple the money. Given the organization, I certainly would. ASO would probably take a commission, of course. Of course.

* OK, he got other prizes, but all the same 500€/day is ****ing miserable.
Have we got time for another cuppa?
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

Audax67 wrote:* OK, he got other prizes, but all the same 500€/day is ****ing miserable.

Eh?? For riding your bike? In July? With full support?
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

the real prize for doing well in races like the TdF is the exposure it gets you; that 'wins' a much bigger reward, better sponsors for the team, and a much higher salary for the riders.

Same in F1 and lots of other sports too, BTW.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

They get lots of cash from endorsements and bonuses, but much less than footballers

Can anyone explain, are there any nasty riders? Seems all the winners are good guys, can that be right, does one need to be aggressive to win? Or does one just have to obey orders?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
cotterpins

Post by cotterpins »

You must take into account that the TDF is just another job in a full season. I went to work and my salary was based on annual earnings! It's no different in cycling. I just did a little research and saw earnings in the millions of dollars/pounds annual earnings for some cyclists, including of course the endorsements and adverts. Wish I had the energy/talent/ambition, etc. I notice that David Miller, Boardman, Chris Hoy, Bradley Wiggins, etc. are hardly on their "uppers"!!

Sorry, I just read the remarks about endorsements and bonus riders get . . .
fastpedaller

Post by fastpedaller »

tony_mm wrote:
cotterpins wrote:Whatever the result, you can never take away that "G" is the first ever British-born TDF winner!

And not English but proudly Welsh!

When he goes into decline (sorry :( ) he'll be referred to as Welsh not British - It's the way of the commentators!