2019 Tour de France: Spoilers!

Now we have something / quite-a-lot to discuss and celebrate.
Debs

Re: 2019 Tour de France: Spoilers!

Post by Debs »

reohn2 wrote:....I'm also aware that there's a distinct chance I'll be accused of ludditeism and or anti CF and to certain extent I am,but I've never seen a steel or Alu frame break in two in a crash.

Perhaps... if he was riding a steel or Alu bike; the bike would of been fine but the rider would have been broke in half :wink:
Spinners

Post by Spinners »

I've been up all night worrying about how Team Ineos recovered that broken bike.

I mean, with limited time due to holding up the rest of the race convoy, it can't go on the roof of the second/third team car can it? And it can't go on the back seat unless the mechanic gets out and takes a taxi. Perhaps it's still there? Finders keepers, losers weepers.
Cycling UK Life Member
PBP Ancien (2007)
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

yeah its worth all of 50p now.... :roll: :lol:

Purely cosmetic damage of course; it'll buff out.... etc etc

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Debs wrote:
reohn2 wrote:....I'm also aware that there's a distinct chance I'll be accused of ludditeism and or anti CF and to certain extent I am,but I've never seen a steel or Alu frame break in two in a crash.

Perhaps... if he was riding a steel or Alu bike; the bike would of been fine but the rider would have been broke in half :wink:

Just be pleased he was on the road and not in a velodrome. This is what I call a splinter
7A90B7C7-5789-4336-8872-C0A77680999E.png
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

yes he got back on and tried to ride before he realised how bad it really was....I'm glad wooden bicycles are not more popular.

cheers
Spinners

Post by Spinners »

Brucey wrote:
yes he got back on and tried to ride before he realised how bad it really was....I'm glad wooden bicycles are not more popular.

cheers

Don't you mean poplar?

Personally, I'm pine-ing for one.
Cycling UK Life Member
PBP Ancien (2007)
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Debs wrote:

I believe both Nicole Cooke wouldn't ride CF because of CF splinters and sharp ragged ends of broken tubes,as she'd suffered from a broken frame causing such an injury.Valverde had the same "phobia" but seems to have relented.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Spinners wrote:
Brucey wrote:

cheers

Don't you mean poplar?

Personally, I'm pine-ing for one.

If G was a proper rider like Peter Sagan he'd have finished the stage on the rear wheel whilst carrying the front end....

...... and more than likely come second in the sprint :wink:
W H Auden
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

today turned out to be another breakaway day and (after a lot of to-ing and fro-ing) Darryl Impey took a well deserved stage win. No big changes on GC. Not all roses today though; Alessandro de Marchi, who worked so hard yesterday, had one of those daft crashes only this one left him on a stretcher, out of the race and into hospital.

Tomorrows stage looks like one where the teams may control the race ready for a bunch sprint to me, but in this race anything could happen. The day after that is a rest day.

cheers
Last edited by Brucey on 14 Jul 2019, 8:03pm, edited 2 times in total.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Audax67 wrote:.. It was especially galling that while the wee wait-a-bit dots were running in a circle mid-screen, perfectly clear little advert tabs kept appearing, inciting me to buy a Skoda.

So that's something else I will never do. :evil:

You could buy an ineos instead or my favourite, Education First (the only harmless, or most ethical sponsor?) :wink:

There was a lot of fuss in GB when ski morphed into ineos, protests against fracking in Yorkshire, are there any protests over there, what do the French think about fracking, do they have a word for it?

I thought the French farmers revolted most years actually :?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Spinners

Post by Spinners »

Almost broke our TiVo handset dipping into the TdF, tennis and the cricket - mainly the cricket though so I'll run the (series linked) ITV4 highlights package a bit later.

The Kiwi's were robbed!
Cycling UK Life Member
PBP Ancien (2007)
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

a break went, on a short leash, then it looked like it would be caught, then there was an attack from the front, some splits in an innocuous looking crosswind, and then it turned into the 'anything can happen' option.

EF rode hard trying to force a split and this didn't work. However once they had shot their bolt, others took up the attack with gusto, and then the field did split. It all backfired for EF; they were all out of the lead group, and they were not alone; the race remained split until the finish.

Wout van Aert was free to ride for himself (because Groenewegen didn't make the front group) and he beat some of the top sprinters to take the stage; Viviani was second and had the sprint been ten yards longer he might have taken the win. Both Viviani and Alaphillipe did some hard turns at the front when they were riding to force a split in the Peloton, and probably this took the edge off Viviani's sprint.

Same yellow jersey, but otherwise the biggest GC changes of any single stage thus far; G now lies in second place and Bernal lies in third. Bernal did a hard pull at the front so his position within the team seems clearer now.

The big losers on the day were Uran, Pinot, Landa, Valverde, Porte, Fuglsang, Ciccone, EBH, Lutsenko, Mollema, Nibali,.... the list goes on. But the biggest hit on GC was taken by George Bennet; despite lying 4th on GC at the start of the day, he was doing domestique duties (back for bottles) when the race went hard and he ended up the wrong side of the split, finishing the stage with the laughing boys, nearly ten minutes down.

cheers
Last edited by Brucey on 15 Jul 2019, 7:43pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Bouleversement sur classement general :wink:
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Debs

Post by Debs »

A bad day in the office all round for Trek-Segafredo: :(

Giulio Ciccone finishes a couple of minutes down, goes from 2nd place to 10th on GC
...and he also loses the 'white jersey' to Egan Bernal.

Trek GC riders Riche Porte and Bauke Mollema finish 1.40 down and drop a few GC positions to 20th & 22nd

Trek-Segafredo lose the 1st Team award, it will now be all the Movistar riders wearing the yellow number ID bibs on Wednesday
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

There was a change in the wind :wink:
W H Auden