Tadpole motortrikes.

Now we have something / quite-a-lot to discuss and celebrate.
Mike Sales
Posts: 3228
Joined: 7 Mar 2009, 3:31pm

Tadpole motortrikes.

Postby Mike Sales » 21 Jul 2019, 11:34am

What advantage do the motorbikes on the TdF gain from their two front wheels?
I suppose there must be an advantage to offset the increase in weight and complexity?

tatanab
Posts: 3755
Joined: 8 Feb 2007, 12:37pm

Re: Tadpole motortrikes.

Postby tatanab » 21 Jul 2019, 11:42am

Apparently they can be pushed harder in corners without slipping when compared to a scooter with a single front wheel. Not an advantage for TdeF. I imagine the reason they have appeared this year is as a result of a sponsorship deal.

reohn2
Posts: 35581
Joined: 26 Jun 2009, 8:21pm

Re: Tadpole motortrikes.

Postby reohn2 » 21 Jul 2019, 1:06pm

Yep,more rubber on the road at the front which is safer,especially in the wet.
But they're plug ugly :shock: and not as elegant as the Piaggio three wheel scooters
-----------------------------------------------------------
I cycle therefore I am.

Mike Sales
Posts: 3228
Joined: 7 Mar 2009, 3:31pm

Re: Tadpole motortrikes.

Postby Mike Sales » 21 Jul 2019, 1:10pm

Thanks, Reohn2 and Tatanab.

Brucey
Posts: 35201
Joined: 4 Jan 2012, 6:25pm

Re: Tadpole motortrikes.

Postby Brucey » 21 Jul 2019, 1:52pm

do they have any roll stiffness, i.e. is the tilt action sprung at all? If it is, then such machines might be more stable at low speeds. This might be important for a camera bike; they tend to topple over if they are forced to stop suddenly on a steep hill.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

landsurfer
Posts: 4840
Joined: 27 Oct 2012, 9:13pm
Location: Rotherham

Re: Tadpole motortrikes.

Postby landsurfer » 21 Jul 2019, 2:19pm

Nearly twice as much mass over the front of the bike ... this has all the hallmarks of a solution looking for a problem to solve .... not the first time Yamaha have gone down an innovative dead end with suspension ..GTS1000 anyone ...... they do like an engineering challenge .... :)
It's not about the bike .. It's about the journey .....
The Road Goes On Forever ........................

tatanab
Posts: 3755
Joined: 8 Feb 2007, 12:37pm

Re: Tadpole motortrikes.

Postby tatanab » 21 Jul 2019, 5:12pm

Brucey wrote:do they have any roll stiffness, i.e. is the tilt action sprung at all?
Not that I know of. They have a push button lock position to hold them upright when parked, I do not know if this is operable at low speed. The old Ariel 3 (other configuration of three wheels) had torsion bars to hold it upright. The problem was that you had to make a positive decision on whether to steer it like a trike or lean it like a bike - against those torsion bars. I imagine that if these had any form of sprung tilt they too would have a constant battle.

reohn2
Posts: 35581
Joined: 26 Jun 2009, 8:21pm

Re: Tadpole motortrikes.

Postby reohn2 » 21 Jul 2019, 5:27pm

tatanab wrote:
Brucey wrote:do they have any roll stiffness, i.e. is the tilt action sprung at all?
Not that I know of. They have a push button lock position to hold them upright when parked, I do not know if this is operable at low speed. The old Ariel 3 (other configuration of three wheels) had torsion bars to hold it upright. The problem was that you had to make a positive decision on whether to steer it like a trike or lean it like a bike - against those torsion bars. I imagine that if these had any form of sprung tilt they too would have a constant battle.

Plus the Ariel 3's rear wheels didn't lean,only the front one.
-----------------------------------------------------------
I cycle therefore I am.


reohn2
Posts: 35581
Joined: 26 Jun 2009, 8:21pm

Re: Tadpole motortrikes.

Postby reohn2 » 21 Jul 2019, 8:16pm

tatanab wrote:https://www.letour.fr/en/news/2019/with-yamaha-the-tour-de-france-rolls-on-three-wheels/1276061

Them needing a centre stand would indicate that they don't lock in the upright position
-----------------------------------------------------------
I cycle therefore I am.

User avatar
cycleruk
Posts: 5179
Joined: 17 Jan 2009, 9:30pm
Location: Lancashire

Re: Tadpole motortrikes.

Postby cycleruk » 21 Jul 2019, 9:35pm

£13,500. :(
There's no such thing as a tailwind.
It's either a headwind, or you're going well.

Brucey
Posts: 35201
Joined: 4 Jan 2012, 6:25pm

Re: Tadpole motortrikes.

Postby Brucey » 21 Jul 2019, 10:18pm

cycleruk wrote:£13,500. :(


more than a very posh sports bike with a mere two wheels....

Yamaha Niken reviewed here

https://www.motorcyclenews.com/bike-reviews/yamaha/niken/2018/

They say that the machine falls over when stationary just like a normal motorbike.

It also weighs 263kg which makes it one of the heaviest machines that you can buy (with that kind of application in mind).

I don't imagine that engineers from Honda, Suzuki and Kawasaki will be burning the midnight oil trying to develop their own version, but you never know....

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

User avatar
Tigerbiten
Posts: 1878
Joined: 29 Jun 2009, 6:49am

Re: Tadpole motortrikes.

Postby Tigerbiten » 22 Jul 2019, 12:25am

I've just looked up and watched a review of it on u-tube.

Here -> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EqP5mwCeySM

Verdict: Good grip on the front but not so good at the back. Also heavy at the front. It will make a good sporty tourer but not if you want super zippy.

Luck ....... :D

mattsccm
Posts: 2661
Joined: 28 Nov 2009, 9:44pm

Re: Tadpole motortrikes.

Postby mattsccm » 29 Jul 2019, 7:46am

Maybe, sponsorship aside, the possibility of increased front grip gives braking security. They are surrounded by unpredictable cyclists and choosing the best line and braking point may not be an option. I think the were used at Roubaix and the Strada Bianca

softlips
Posts: 494
Joined: 12 Dec 2016, 8:51pm

Re: Tadpole motortrikes.

Postby softlips » 29 Jul 2019, 8:23am

mattsccm wrote:Maybe, sponsorship aside, the possibility of increased front grip gives braking security. They are surrounded by unpredictable cyclists and choosing the best line and braking point may not be an option. I think the were used at Roubaix and the Strada Bianca


Used on Tour de Yorkshire too.